Best tracks to test stereo imaging, tonal balance and dynamics

My perception is something reverse to test an audio rig. First step is to listen a poor recording. From my catalogue, it would be The Great Gambler, Teesri Manzil, Khusboo... If that sounds better than the image you have grown from any other audio rig or even your previous rig, voila.. then test better recordings say Norah Jones , Adele , Pink Floyd or the Japanese's test CDs. Good stuff would always sound good even on your tiny PC speakers. But that's only me.

It’s an interesting approach Souravin

It made sense to me because at the end of the day, whatever the reviewers say and whatever the measurements, the music you listen to should sound good to you. And if the not so good ones also begin to sound decent, then nothing like it.

Here below are a few tracks that I enjoy in terms of how the artist's voice hits the mike.
Carnatic and Hindustani styles of devotional music. Also I remember these from muscle memory from my childhood radio days.
In my rig, sometimes, I can sense the singer move towards and away from the mike due to their singing style.
- Aigiri Nandini - Rajalakshmee Sanjay (this also has a rhythmic instrumentation build up and wind down)
- Vishnu Sahasranamam - M.S.S
The above two being sanskrit, depict a wide variety of vocal sound (groups).
- Bhagyada Lakshmi Baaramma - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi (the initial alap section and when he takes things up in pitch)

Cheers,
Raghu

It made sense to me because at the end of the day, whatever the reviewers say and whatever the measurements, the music you listen to should sound good to you. And if the not so good ones also begin to sound decent, then nothing like it.

100% agree. With my limited capacity of book self speakers and small room, I would not follow something what the audiophile community might be gushing in hifi sites. I have moderate listening capability and even with my just more than average audio rig, I would only depend on the genre, I listen to.

Totally agree with you here. With the acquisition of Soekris 1021 R-2R DAC and my hearing aids, listening to old Hindi and Kannada songs is definitely more easy on the ears.
I don't have physical media. Have to rely on streaming sites such as Spotify, Amazon, Gaana.
The recordings acquired by these services may be of suspect quality.
Coupled with compression applied, specially Amazon and Gaana, it used to get tiring after a while.
The content expression (or Bhaava) is really good, but recording/compression makes it a bit of a bother to enjoy.
Now I'm enjoying these much more than before.

Cheers,
Raghu

Totally agree with you here. With the acquisition of Soekris 1021 R-2R DAC and my hearing aids, listening to old Hindi and Kannada songs is definitely more easy on the ears.
I don't have physical media. Have to rely on streaming sites such as Spotify, Amazon, Gaana.
The recordings acquired by these services may be of suspect quality.
Coupled with compression applied, specially Amazon and Gaana, it used to get tiring after a while.
The content expression (or Bhaava) is really good, but recording/compression makes it a bit of a bother to enjoy.
Now I'm enjoying these much more than before.

Cheers,
Raghu
Off topic, where did u get the r2r dac?

Off topic, where did u get the r2r dac?
Got the module from US and took the help of a local FM to put it together.
Cheers,
Raghu

"Ayala" by Mobitex for checking both imaging as well as soundstage width and depth i.e. how well the soundstage s extends beyond the speakers to their sides and projects sound both behind as well as ahead of the speakers.

And while it caters to a niche taste, what you experience is truly magical. I've asked many a listener which speakers the sounds are emanating from and more often than not, in addition to the centre channel which any decent loudspeaker can do, they've pointed towards the surround channels which are positioned slightly behind the listening position.

Also a great track for gauging bass response and depth. Lush warm waves of bass sweep across if configured well, otherwise a very ordinary listen.

I do not think you could spot anything from the reference quality recordings. they will always sound good. Rather test some poor recordings and see if your system sounds better than the same music playing on other devices.
Reference music is not to make it sound good but give you a reference point in terms of how it should sound wrt soundstage/PRAT/ Transparency etc. eg where each instrument is supposed to be , how some of the cues should sound ,the feeling of depth you should perceive etc

It is a benchmark for you for you to know where and how much the system is off.

Playing the actual music you listen is of course very important since you do want to ensure that you are able to connect to the music as this is what you will be playing regularly.

Once you are more confident of your ears you can develop your own reference material but till there its not a bad idea to listen to some "calibrated" music

Bhagyada Lakshmi Baaramma - Pt. Bhimsen Joshi (the initial alap section and when he takes things up in pitch)
From OST "Nodi Swami Naavirode Heege"? It's pretty average recording in Digital (I'm badly searching for a good digital recording of the same anyway) ...

@OP
From Hindi Movie ROG - "Tere is Jahaan Mein" has a good Imaging, Layering and Holographic presentation...

Last edited:
From OST "Nodi Swami Naavirode Heege"? It's pretty average recording in Digital (I'm badly searching for a good digital recording of the same anyway) ...

@OP
From Hindi Movie ROG - "Tere is Jahaan Mein" has a good Imaging, Layering and Holographic presentation...
I agree. But I still feel Pt. Bhimsen Joshi's head antics can be visualized fairly well :D
Unfortunately, I have an old tape in my dad's place or its one of the streaming services to listen to this number.
Cheers,
Raghu

Jagjit-Gulzar’s Marasim Audio CD is a reference for digital for me any day. The recording & mastering is par excellence.

I don’t know how it sounds on Apple Music or Qobuz. But the original CD is divine.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back