Best TV under Rs1 lakh?

naru80

I'm upgrading from a 10 year old 40 inch Sony 1080p TV.

>90% of my viewing is OTT/Youtube, rest is downloaded content. I don't have DTH. I do zero gaming.

The viewing distance is 10 feet. it's a bright room with plenty of light.

I'm heavily inclined towards a Sony, since I've read it's got one of the best upscaling engine (i watch a lot of content which is 720p or lower) and great motion handling (a big factor for me as I get frequent eye strain from watching any sports because the ball movements seems to stutter).

I've shortlisted these two. My budget is strictly 1 lakh.

1 Sony X80aj 65 inch (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0918R8PZ5...olid=1I7879DJ9HX6C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)
Rs97,990

- Non FALD
- Overpriced
+ It's a Sony!

2 LG OLED55BX (

Rs99,999

- 2020 model
- burn in worries
+ OLED!

Neither really excites me. Is there anything else worth considering? Should I go ahead with either or wait for the 2022 line-up?

The viewing distance is 10 feet. It's a bright room with plenty of light.
A 65" LCD panel is best suited for this scenario. That said, option one is the best bet since your preference is Sony. You can check Rtings for some in-depth reviews of this model. Also, check the offering from Samsung (Frame Tv).

Edit:- On Samsung App, 65" Frame tv is available for 119k.

Last edited:
I'm upgrading from a 10 year old 40 inch Sony 1080p TV.

>90% of my viewing is OTT/Youtube, rest is downloaded content. I don't have DTH. I do zero gaming.

The viewing distance is 10 feet. it's a bright room with plenty of light.

I'm heavily inclined towards a Sony, since I've read it's got one of the best upscaling engine (i watch a lot of content which is 720p or lower) and great motion handling (a big factor for me as I get frequent eye strain from watching any sports because the ball movements seems to stutter).

I've shortlisted these two. My budget is strictly 1 lakh.

1 Sony X80aj 65 inch (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0918R8PZ5...olid=1I7879DJ9HX6C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)
Rs97,990

- Non FALD
- Overpriced
+ It's a Sony!

2 LG OLED55BX (

Rs99,999

- 2020 model
- burn in worries
+ OLED!

Neither really excites me. Is there anything else worth considering? Should I go ahead with either or wait for the 2022 line-up?
The Frame 55 inch might be a good option if you are worried about burn in. (Samsung is also known to have good upscaling). However I'd like to add that if you are someone who doesn't game or watch content on DTH , your chances of facing burn in are really low (unless you watch A LOT for content with static elements)

Regarding eye strain when watching sports , avoid using Jio/Airtel TV boxes and instead use the native app on the TV (whenever you get one) or get a fire stick. Sports streaming via Jio TV in my experience has been atrocious, however watching the same sports on the native app (on the same internet connection) is much better. The best way to watch sports even now is DTH imo.

The Frame 55 inch might be a good option if you are worried about burn in. (Samsung is also known to have good upscaling). However I'd like to add that if you are someone who doesn't game or watch content on DTH , your chances of facing burn in are really low (unless you watch A LOT for content with static elements)

Regarding eye strain when watching sports , avoid using Jio/Airtel TV boxes and instead use the native app on the TV (whenever you get one) or get a fire stick. Sports streaming via Jio TV in my experience has been atrocious, however watching the same sports on the native app (on the same internet connection) is much better. The best way to watch sports even now is DTH imo.
*Or like @OM_2K19 mentioned, you could extend your budget a bit and get a 65 inch. However if you are coming from a 40 inch TV, you might find the jump to 55 itself more than satisfactory

A 65" LCD panel is best suited for this scenario. That said, option one is the best bet since your preference is Sony. You can check Rtings for some in-depth reviews of this model. Also, check the offering from Samsung (Frame Tv).

Edit:- On Samsung App, 65" Frame tv is available for 119k.

*Or like @OM_2K19 mentioned, you could extend your budget a bit and get a 65 inch. However if you are coming from a 40 inch TV, you might find the jump to 55 itself more than satisfactory

apart from burn in, there are other concerns:
1 There's a kid in the house, so usage is rough. I read that you need to switch off OLEDs from the mains after some wait.
2 The room is fairly bright. Is OLED justified in bright rooms?
3 The UI and magic remote seems to divide opinions. Easy UI/navigation is a big priority for family.

One big plus is that OLED is easier on the eyes.

What is the long term reliability of OLEDs? I retain my TVs for along time.

Frame is out of contention because budget is strictly 1 lakh

Last edited:
1 There's a kid in the house, so usage is rough. I read that you need to switch off OLEDs from the mains after some wait.
3 The UI and magic remote seems to divide opinions. Easy UI/navigation is a big priority for family.

1. No need to switch off the tv from the mains. Some members do it during stormy weather.
2. oleds are best except where direct reflection is coming in the tv. Here all tvs have issues.
3. Remote is a non issue as it can be used as a normal remote too.

oled technology is relatively new, so no one can say definitely about its reliability. Members here have tvs for 5 years and no spate of issues reported.
Your budget of 1 lakh and viewing distance of 10' are mutually exclusive for a OLED.
As for the rough kid , boarding school, no 2 ways about it.

Here is a good discussion on OLED and when to power them off; have a look.

You lose all the magic that an OLED brings to the table in a bright room. You can probably put a curtain to make the room darker if you want to pursue OLED. WebOS is pretty intuitive; you won't regret it. Coming to your last question, I don't see any reason why the TV won't last for 3+ years with moderate usage. But don't expect it to last for ten years.

Back