Best type of sound proof windows for my bedroom?

samdighe

Hi guys. All our bedroom windows face the road and to add to the problem, my house is on the 1st floor. The primary noise problem is the traffic noise especially the vehicle honking noise. Also there is a construction site nearby whose work starts at 8 am in the morning itself. The existing windows are normal builder fitted single glazed aluminium sliding windows that hardly help in reducing the noise.

Now I have a few queries. Firstly, I am confused whether to replace my existing windows or add an additional window inside by keeping the existing one. The 1st option is installing an additional interior window behind the existing window. However, I dont know if that is possible because my window sill width is just 7.5 cm. However, if I get the same results with the 2nd option, then I would prefer the 2nd option since I don't really want to go for an additional window.

The 2nd option is to replace the existing window. If I have to do that then I am thinking of going for a combination of fixed glass + openable window. However, I am confused between the glass to use, a double glazed with different glass thickness and an air gap in between or a laminated glass? I have been getting contrasting opinions about this, some say double glazed is better and some say laminated is better. One of the contractors has given me options for both double glazed and laminated glass in UPVC frame. The configuration for double glazed is 6mm clear glass + 10 mm spacer + 5mm reflective glass. The configuration for laminated glass is 12 mm clear glass + .75 EVA laminate + 5 mm reflective brown glass.

Lastly, the unending confusion of aluminium vs UPVC window frames. Now some say that aluminium is better because it has more mass. However, I have also read that UPVC is better since there are much less number of gaps in UPVC as compared to aluminium. And if the UPVC is metal reinforced, then wouldnt its mass be the same as aluminium then?

Kindly suggest the best possible and economically feasible solution for my problem.

I am using UPVC (Lingel brand) to very good effect. Noise reduces to a great extent even with single glazed sliding windows which is the lowest in the UPVC range.
After hearing the difference at my home, a friend also decided to use the same and he is completely satisfied.

Check these threads for more options and opinions
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/47893-sound-proofing-window.html
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/48781-sound-proofing-material.html

I recently changed the windows in my house which is west facing and adjacent to an arterial road. So a lot of road noise and heat.

I went with Fenesta UPVC windows. Fixed + openable windows in the bedrooms and Sliding in the living room. I am using a DGU with Laminated + 6mm glass

The overall noise reduction is significantly better than before. The Casement windows provide significantly better sound proofing than sliding. I think just one laminated glass in a fixed + casement would have been sufficient, the DGU supposedly helps with reducing heat load. I haven't noticed the difference with the heat load as I had a DGU unit with aluminium frame prior to the UPVC window.

As for the sliding windows, I think a laminated glass will make very little or no difference as the seal just isn't good enough in comparison to casement windows.

UPVC degrades when exposed to UV rays and may emit toxic gases like vinyl chloride. They may contain furans, cadmium, mercury and organic tin compounds. The main problem with uPVC windows is the production and disposal of uPVC. Factories that make uPVC products emit dioxins that have been connected to serious illnesses such as cancer for the people living near these factories. uPVC has been traditionally very hard to dispose of in an environmentally friendly way. They usually end up in land fill sites where they slowly leech chemicals into the soil.
uPVC windows could give off toxic fumes in the event of a fire.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back