Bi Amp Question

JohnSmith

Hi All,

I have a quick question. I got monitor BX6 speakers 150w and Onkyo sr-606 100w per channel amp.

I hooked up the new speakers. I set them up as Bi-Amp. I removed the metal bridges and connected the speakers to my amp. The problem is I mixed up the hi and low outputs of the amp.

The strange thing is the speakers sounded fine. I used them all day when I noticed everytime there was a bass note in the music that the upper speakers were working really hard and the bigger basser speakers weren't doing much. Thats when I realised I got the high and low outputs mixed up.

I corrected this but I want to know could I have done much damage? They sound fine now and I put my ear up to all the speakers and they are all outputting sound clearly. Would speaker internals still have protected the tweeter?

I really appriciate any advise
Thanks

I am not a technical person , but I tend to believe your speaker internals are still fine and not damaged . You may want to try out by connecting the highs of the spk cable to highs of the spk terminal ( but not connecting the lows of the biwire ) and run them for test . See how the midrange sounds , I think it should be fine .
Then try to run with connecting only the low frequency terminal of of the spk cable to the low ferq terminal on the spk . Test run, see how the woofer or low freq sounds . I think it should run fine.
Like I said , I am not an expert , but I would feel safe to test run this way if it were may pair of spkrs. You may want to ask some expert , though .

Last edited:
if you dont hear hisses or any reverberations then you are good. As the saying goes RTFM esp. when biamping speakers. Otherwise there is a good chance of blowing them or the amp.

You are fine. No worries man. I think you mean the mid range drivers were working hard on low notes. The tweeters would just laugh at them.

This is why we mark our cables, draw a wiring diagram, follow the diagram, and ring out the connections when in doubt.

I wish I had a rupee for ever out of phase BiAmp installation I have had to set right.

When I was reading this thread, the following words of caution came to my mind --- not mine, but from Richard Vandersteen who designs and builds speakers to run with biwiring...

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND BI-AMPING BECAUSE THE AMP DRIVING THE UPPER SECTION DOES NOT HAVE A DC RETURN IE: IS CAP COUPLED. THIS CAN CAUSE MANY AMPS TO OSCILLATE AT HIGH FREQUENCIES DAMAGING THE TWEETERS WITHOUT ANY NOTICE. I PREFER THE WIRE THAT SOUNDS BEST REGARDLESS HOW ITS MADE."

This may not be of relevance in your case but I have always refrained from taking the biamping route and rather settled for a great pair of double biwire cables from Audioquest for my Vandys and am happy with it.

Sorry for the interruption.
murali

I know this is an old thread, but i hope someone can help me out...

I have a Marantz SR5006 paired with Quad 22L2's - until recently I was running it without biamping them. I procured some Prolifi cables and decided to bi amp them using the back channels to power the HF and the fronts for the LF. After removing the Metal connectors and following instructions for connections I ran the Audessy set up to configure the speakers and assign amp.

I wasnt able to complete this installation as i get an error message "Speakers or Microphone not found" - rechecked all connections but couldnt resolve. I cant seem to find enough reference on the net to provide a solution either.

So I went back to the regular connection (without biamping or biwiring) and yet I get the same error message and no sound from the speakers :(

Does somone know how i can fix this issue? I'm getting withdrawal symptoms without my daily dose of music..

Bi-amping is a step UP from Bi-wiring. However, for Bi-amping, you need identical 4 channels of amplification.

I would not use a AVR with the multiple channels of amps in them for bi-amping. Reason being the main front L & R channels are fine but the Surround channels of L & R have some group delay on them regardless of who says what.

Therefore, strictly they are not identical 4 channels suitable for bi-amping. 2 identical stereo amps are perfect.

Issue resolved :) did a hard reset by pressing standby + display + zone select on the avr. All things are good now :) thanks!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back