big and small speakers - paradox

suri

i have read so many reviews of so many speakers - the words used are familiar and i suspect that reviewers listen to the speakers for a half-minute, then head home and wait for the cash to arrive before the rot-writing starts (eg., she was beauty incarnate with sensual lines and curves that were a wonder to behold, causing greenish tinge on my spouse!)

i have noticed one aspect that is rarely variable - small (bookshelf) speakers are noted to have "unbelievable bass/bass extension- was looking for the subwoofer" kind of sound,

but large floor-standers (even the rockport antares) are described as being "light" in the bass department - this must have angered andy payor enough for him to design and produce the crackpot arrakis which has enough bass to crack walls and blow away small bookshelves!

is it because the listener looks for big (bass) sound with a large speaker - and not so big sound with a small speaker and is surprised both ways?:)

Last edited:
Hi,

i have read so many reviews of so many speakers - the words used are familiar and i suspect that reviewers listen to the speakers for a half-minute, then head home and wait for the cash to arrive before the rot-writing starts (eg., she was beauty incarnate with sensual lines and curves that were a wonder to behold, causing greenish tinge on my spouse!)

i have noticed one aspect that is rarely variable - small (bookshelf) speakers are noted to have "unbelievable bass/bass extension- was looking for the subwoofer" kind of sound,

but large floor-standers (even the rockport antares) are described as being "light" in the bass department - this must have angered andy payor enough for him to design and produce the crackpot arrakis which has enough bass to crack walls and blow away small bookshelves!

Yes Suri you are 100% correct !! but on occasions they even praise the FS for its bass and all round sound and what not based on how fat of a bonus they got for the review :lol: !!

I've some reviews even in 6moons (which is considered as reference) where they have praised a product so much that one would think of them as "Object of Desire" !!! When I heard the same product,well it was the last thing I wanted expose myself to again, let alone be Object of my desire :p!!

is it because the listener looks for big (bass) sound with a large speaker - and not so big sound with a small speakers and is surprised both ways?

Right again,these so called reviewers (well in general others too) have a fixation that big means better (perhaps Am wrong but ) coz on most of the occasions what you say is what happens !!

Regards.

coincidentally, I was reading through the HIGH-END AUDIO and Arthur Salvatore and how they point out stereophile reviewers. I have shared the link as well.
But if they reviewers do not charge, how will they survive? Or if they write bad things, will they not be threatened with law suits?

Pls share your ideas on how should reviewers conduct themselves.

Thats the reason behind the aphorism:

"Acquire Audio Magazine - Study them - Throw them - Forget them" .......:lol:

Always go by audition not by reviews as most of them have a propensity to be false and misleading.....

One thing that really astounds me is that most manufacturers affirm themselves to be the finest..:eek:hyeah:

One thing that really astounds me is that most manufacturers affirm themselves to be the finest..:eek:hyeah:

hi deba,

yes, if one reads the legend that accompanies the picture of the loudspeaker, he/she will be led to believe that the manufacturer has used his extra-ordinary genius to make extra-ordinary components out of ordinary materials, and that the components are now proprietary, and not available anywhere else - and if you buy from someplace other than his (the only female manufacturer being that 'pyramid" israeli), then you are to be pitied!

anyway, in the spirit of things, since my new DIY speaker is almost ready, and i am free tonight, i feel like writing a bit of rot!

so, if fellow forum members have a bit of time, i will post complete rot about the qualities of this fine loudspeaker - in the finest traditions of the game -and hope you will laugh :lol:

Seems that i must count myself lucky for not reading any audio magazine in my life time!

A group of my friends, not audiophiles, visited me recently. They listened to my system and said, 'we cannot pinpoint the exact difference but the sound is much more pleasing than what we hear daily'. I think that was the simplest review i could have. "Pleasing or not pleasing to ears" is the only part which is important in a review.

Seems that i must count myself lucky for not reading any audio magazine in my life time!

A group of my friends, not audiophiles, visited me recently. They listened to my system and said, 'we cannot pinpoint the exact difference but the sound is much more pleasing than what we hear daily'. I think that was the simplest review i could have. "Pleasing or not pleasing to ears" is the only part which is important in a review.

yes jaudere,

incremental exposure of the senses to (better) sensations is pleasing - but what about absolutes?

and what about this ?-

(This Loudspeaker with an exotic name) is destined to become the loudspeaker against which all others will be judged - it transcends the boundaries of believability - the presentation is as music itself, delicate yet expressive, raucous yet unassailable (hehehe), while full of complex harmonic textures and breathing with life - the utter command and ease of its presentation is unprecedented, coupled to a full-range dynamic supremacy that is unmatched - vocalists and musical instruments have a "walk around" three dimensionality - :)

and what about the " THE WORLD BEST AUDIO SYSTEM" ? - there is, supposedly, a system like this - just google TWBAS.

Last edited:
yes jaudere,

incremental exposure of the senses to (better) sensations is pleasing - but what about absolutes?

and what about this ?-

(This Loudspeaker with an exotic name) is destined to become the loudspeaker against which all others will be judged - it transcends the boundaries of believability - the presentation is as music itself, delicate yet expressive, raucous yet unassailable (hehehe), while full of complex harmonic textures and breathing with life - the utter command and ease of its presentation is unprecedented, coupled to a full-range dynamic supremacy that is unmatched - vocalists and musical instruments have a "walk around" three dimensionality - :)

Hmmm,

Really started sweating while reading the capabilities of those speakers:eek:

About absolutes, I think the end user should be least bothered about the absolutes.That may serve to be a starting point but nothing more than that. He/she should just look for pleasant experience. i am satisfied if my system makes me happy and so should everyone be :).

Suri, I guess its time for me to book a ticket to Kannur!

Writing positive reviews for manufacturers who pay the big bucks is present in all magazines, be it hi fi, cars, bikes etc. Otherwise you have to be like Top
Gear which is BBCs and funded by the British people who pay the licencing fees. They dont have to butter up manufacturers for their survival.
Another problem is that sound is always subjective!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back