Bipole or Monopole for Rear Surround in 5.1

echoesian

Due to my living hall layout, I cannot place the surround at the sides, the only choice is to put them on the rear walls. Bipole or monopole would be better in this situation?

Surrounds should not be placed behind the viewer. Try using ceiling speakers that are mounted directly over where the sofa is.

If that is also not possible, do NOT use dipoles. Use nay direct firing speakers.

Cheers

^^actually, venkat, I thought surrounds were meant to be placed in exactly the way OP had pictured. :( :( The rear surrounds and dipoles come into picture only in the case of a 7.1 setup then?

^^actually, venkat, I thought surrounds were meant to be placed in exactly the way OP had pictured. :( :( The rear surrounds and dipoles come into picture only in the case of a 7.1 setup then?

Whether 5.1 or 7.1, surrounds speakers should not be placed more than at an angle of roughly 10 degrees from the viewers head. What you place behind the viewer's head are back or rear surrounds.

Dipoles are used in two situations.

1. When you have more than one row of seats. The dipoles will then push the surround sound in both directions for all the viewers to hear.

2. When you cannot seat the viewers directly below the surrounds or within some 10 degrees of it's transmitting radius.

Please see http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html where I have shown a diagram with speaker positions. Also look up the Dolby site.

Cheers

Well image shows rear wall is 8ft behind & placing Bipole on rears may not give good effect.Instead,you can pull Sofa further(distance from screen may be 9ft)& then keep surr on side wall.
Even certain/moving/extended backward wall mounting can may do the job.
Last option is to use spk stands.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back