Blown amp Yamaha rx-v671 need help :(

Chetu2109

I had gotten an a Yamaha RX-v671 avr from the US(110v version), it was almost new hardly used condition and so I decided to get it.

Read through all things about STD(step down transformer for 220v to 110v conversion), even talked to Alec from Thomsun Musicals who is a yamaha authorized service center(so I read from the forum) and even he said it's good to use with an STD.

So all things were good and I had setup FL, FR, C and SUB channels and was enjoying the avr. Due to lack of space which I intend to workout later I removed the STD and put it aside. But unfortunately my friend plugged it in directly to the wall socket and there was a bang and a hiss with white smoke.

Needless to say I was totally aghast, but the fault lies with me that I didn't keep the std around the avr and moved it :sad::sad::sad:

Now I tried to see what's the damage and plugged the avr in with the STD and to my delight all things worked normal, sounds in all channels even the HDMI passthrough from my d2h worked fine.

The next day I called up Alec again from the Yamaha service center and took the avr there.... He inspected and showed me a capacitor in the power unit that was sort of had opened and spilled out it's innards a bit. He replaced that with a new similar capacitor and switched on the avr, which now turns on but goes to PROTECTION MODE :(... he tried with a new power supply board unit from another same model avr and yet again the same thing happened. But note that the avr doesn't goto protection mode all the time, sometimes it stays on and sometimes it goes back to protection....now I am told the main board might be gone and may have to be replaced fully, this will be a very costly repair for me and I can't bear these costs right now, so I asked him if he can check the blown transistors or emitter resistors for each channel and replace them for which he said they don't generally do it... So how can I go about getting this fixed? I searched and found quite a few youtube videos where people replace the transistors, resistors etc and the blown AVRs are fixed...

I am totally disappointed and sad and crying inside cos of what happened...

Any suggestions FMs and gurus?

thx
Chet

After few years and bad memory, we ourselves can make a mistake of plugging our 110v devices directly to 220v mains!

So always "BIND" the Plug of your device to the Step down transformer. I use a strong double sided tape to do this. This way you will always end up unplugging/ plugging the SDT from the mains.

Oh man that's sad. Can't suggest anything, just hope the amp is back on duty at the earliest.

If the repairs are are going to be as extensive as changing boards, you might as well convert it to 220v unit. That is, if it's possible.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Thanks guys, does any of you know where in Bangalore might people do component level repairs? Like transistor, resistor level repair rather than replacing the whole board.

I have talked htstore and they said they can check it first for an investigation fee of 750/-.... will try other electronics too. But good to know if there is a proven repair guy.

In bangalore there is a guy behind bethany school, kormangala. Can't recall the name of the shop. Will update if I find it. Try Google.

MaSh

Sorry to hear and hope it will be in action soon.
Also good to know that Yamaha service enter is providing support for outside india purchase.

In bangalore there is a guy behind bethany school, kormangala. Can't recall the name of the shop. Will update if I find it. Try Google.

MaSh

Hi Mash, I tried to find this in Google maps but couldn't. Can you please let me know the name or number of this shop. Thank you.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back