Blu-ray player suggestions

pks.k

Hello All..!

My Sony BDP S1500 Blu-ray player didn't play discs and went silent recently.
I'm using it as a USB player ( with self powered HDD) for my stereo purpose now.

I have some Blu-ray CDs and DVDs.
What is the best way to play these movies ?

Blu-ray player is the only option or any other streamers available for disc play ?

Suggest me for Movies/ stereo usage also..
Regards..

Hello All..!

I'm using it as a USB player ( with self powered HDD) for my stereo purpose now.

Blu-ray player is the only option or any other streamers available for disc play ?

Regards..
I use bluray of mine for exactly the same purpose 👍. And love it.

Get another sony bdp 😃.

If not sony then pioneer. The only problem with pioneer is it doesnt display track nos/info and timing on the bdp display panel. You have to connect it to a tv. Second issue is no spdif out so hdmi and toslink are the modes of connecting to peripherals so I use toslink and am happy.

Hello All..!

Regards..
Far as I know, only bdps available for disc plays.
Am looking at a sony too...
Stick with the known devil i guess.

I use bluray of mine for exactly the same purpose 👍. And love it.

Get another sony bdp 😃.

If not sony then pioneer. The only problem with pioneer is it doesnt display track nos/info and timing on the bdp display panel. You have to connect it to a tv. Second issue is no spdif out so hdmi and toslink are the modes of connecting to peripherals so I use toslink and am happy.
Yes, agree with you wrt Pioneer. I am using Pioneer BDP-170, which as you say doesnt display the time lapsed on the BDP panel, but if connected to TV it neither shows the progression bar as well. The previous DVD player displayed it.

Yes, agree with you wrt Pioneer. I am using Pioneer BDP-170, which as you say doesnt display the time lapsed on the BDP panel, but if connected to TV it neither shows the progression bar as well. The previous DVD player displayed it.
The previous gen pioneers were 👌

Pioneer BDP is the best one available in its given budget range. It has flawless YT streaming, Analogue audio out, clean interface, Audio quality from CD and USB (HDD\Pendrive) is really good. Try to source it from any dealers I know its Old model but it worth the search.Mine got 7 years back and serving its purpose well.

Hello All..!

Regards..
Its available via sony india still 8k. Pick one up. Or the super duper 4k one for 31k.

The only problem with pioneer is it doesnt display track nos/info and timing on the bdp display panel. You have to connect it to a tv.
It's seems all budget Blu-ray players hasn't equipped with display.

Last edited:
IF you are serious in terms of a BDP, look for a used Oppo like 203, 205, 103-D etc.

If you want also something with warranty, try Reavon BDP players. Almost similar to Oppo but with stratospheric prices. UBR-X200. UBR-X100, UBR-X110. Also available on Hifi Mart.

Hello All..!

Regards..
Hi! If you have plenty of blurays ,go for 1080p Bluray player like Pioneer or Sony ,or if budget permits go for sony x700 or x800 which is a 4k Bluray player. ( If you have any friends or relatives in US ,u can get it hand carried at a very budget friendly price).

If you have very good budget then ,There are other option like to build an HTPC to play all Bluray ripped content through which is a very good and flexible option or get a Nvidia shield through you can play these ripped files.
Only thing you may need to rip all your Bluray collection and write on an Harddisk /NAS etc.

Hi! If you have plenty of blurays ,go for 1080p Bluray player like Pioneer or Sony ,or if budget permits go for sony x700 or x800 which is a 4k Bluray player. ( If you have any friends or relatives in US ,u can get it hand carried at a very budget friendly price).

If you have very good budget then ,There are other option like to build an HTPC to play all Bluray ripped content through which is a very good and flexible option or get a Nvidia shield through you can play these ripped files.
Only thing you may need to rip all your Bluray collection and write on an Harddisk /NAS etc.
@rajith, If i am not mistaken if we purchase Bluray players from the U.S. they would be locked to Region A.

Thanks for your useful information for me.

I'm not aware -that how can these players (nvidia , x box)will play Blu-ray discs..
Now,
Please let me know how can I rip my discs in to a 3 TB HDD ?
Thanks..

Last edited:
Just get this blu ray drive and copy all blu ray discs to hard drive .single simple mkv files make it very easy to navigate library instead of tons of menus on discs. I personally used this drive and it works flawless

ASUS External 16X Blu-Ray Writer with USB 3.0 ASUS-Optical Drives Storage -BW-16D1H-U-PRO https://amzn.eu/d/aEero3B

Just get this blu ray drive and copy all blu ray discs to hard drive .single simple mkv files make it very easy to navigate library instead of tons of menus on discs. I personally used this drive and it works flawless

ASUS External 16X Blu-Ray Writer with USB 3.0 ASUS-Optical Drives Storage -BW-16D1H-U-PRO https://amzn.eu/d/aEero3B
In freesync TVs it would be judder free playing from the computer right? Mine is an LG CX which i was considering doing that what you suggested. It would be as good as bluray disc right?

In freesync TVs it would be judder free playing from the computer right? Mine is an LG CX which i was considering doing that what you suggested. It would be as good as bluray disc right?
The mkv files ripped are 1:1 uncompressed copies so 100% as good as blu ray discs. I don't use computer at all for playing. I simply connect my hard drive or pen drive to my good old 1300 nits sony tv XE93. For judder if u r talking about 24fps judder then I like that judder and I don't do anything to make it smoother. I don't notice any other judder and i am actually very sensitive to any minute judder or frame skip or similar issues in any files. i can tell u all movies play flawless from my pen drive, hard drive and ssd connected to TV and played via KODI on TV app.

The mkv files ripped are 1:1 uncompressed copies so 100% as good as blu ray discs. I don't use computer at all for playing. I simply connect my hard drive or pen drive to my good old 1300 nits sony tv XE93. For judder if u r talking about 24fps judder then I like that judder and I don't do anything to make it smoother. I don't notice any other judder and i am actually very sensitive to any minute judder or frame skip or similar issues in any files. i can tell u all movies play flawless from my pen drive, hard drive and ssd connected to TV and played via KODI on TV app.
You have Sony X9300E? Wow! I have the 9300D which is not FALD but edge lit frame local dimming but still with amazing picture quality. 9300E was a flagship FALD great TV. 9300D has 3d. Does this have 3d?

You have Sony X9300E? Wow! I have the 9300D which is not FALD but edge lit frame local dimming but still with amazing picture quality. 9300E was a flagship FALD great TV. 9300D has 3d. Does this have 3d?
Yes those are the golden era products of sony. Even 9300E is edge lit local dimming but these models were built so incredible that they r better than FALD ones. The sheer weight of the flagship speaks volumes. Eye blinding nits brightness galore which is not seen in any LCD LEDs anymore these days not even Sony's. No 3D in 9300E though.

^further, that's also one reason I am finally seeing A95K as possible true successor to my old sony in all aspects. the killer combo of an OLED + highest peak brightnes for QD + correctly mapped EOTF +DTS sounds too tempting to ignore. Price is however a big question mark presently.

Yes those are the golden era products of sony. Even 9300E is edge lit local dimming but these models were built so incredible that they r better than FALD ones. The sheer weight of the flagship speaks volumes. Eye blinding nits brightness galore which is not seen in any LCD LEDs anymore these days not even Sony's. No 3D in 9300E though.
^further, that's also one reason I am finally seeing A95K as possible true successor to my old sony in all aspects. the killer combo of an OLED + highest peak brightnes for QD + correctly mapped EOTF +DTS sounds too tempting to ignore. Price is however a big question mark presently.
Your 9300E will kill the WRGB OLEDs in picture quality as black crushing is no issue in 9300E. QD-OLED A95K maybe the only TV better than it apart from Sony's mount olympus sitting Z9 series top of the product line 8k specter.

Back