Media: Main Feature - 50GB BD
Running Time: 02:41:31 hrs
Chapters: 24
Video:
2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 24Hz
Peak Bitrate 44.9Mbps | Average Bitrate 39Mbps
Audio:
1/2 Hindi - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (Peak 5.2Mbps 48khz) <-- Default Track
2/2 Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1 (448kbps 48khz)
Subtitles: <-- 2.35:1 Screen Friendly (Positioned at the bottom of the picture area)
1/1 English
Special Features:
NONE

Special Mention:
No Watermark Logo, during songs or otherwise.<-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
No scrolling advertisements during songs or otherwise. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
No advertisements, forced or otherwise, during the movie. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
Separate 'Song Menu' to allow direct selection of song. <-- This should be a no brainer for all Bollywood films.

Authoring screw ups:
1. Pop-up Menus don't close on their own and stay up forever.
2. There is no option to go to the 'Main' menu from the 'pop-up' menu.
3. There is an option to 'Play movie' in the 'pop-up' menu. What is the purpose of this? For, if you are accessing the 'pop-up' menu, that means the movie is already playing. :confused:
4. There is no chapter/title information visible when played on a PS3. This is a problem with all BDs authored by Digital Entertainment.
5. The left/right/enter keys on the PS3 'remote' do not function as rewind/forward/pause buttons, as they do with all other BDs/DVDs. This too is a problem with all BDs authored by Digital Entertainment.

Review:
Although the movie did not do as well as might have been expected it has still been one of the more awaited movies on Blu-ray. Thus the expectations from this BD, atleast in my mind, were quite high. Specially since it is a movie produced by FOX and also more importantly, 'BIG Home Video' in conjunction with 'Digital Entertainment' have generally dished out some of the better Indian Blu-rays. Unfortunately, although the overall quality is above average, it does not quite measure up to expectations. The picture is above average and at times is quite good, but it is generally plagued by a couple of issues. DNR has consistently been the bane of Indian blu-rays and once again it rears it's ugly head to play spoilsport on what is an otherwise pretty good blu-ray. The result of the DNR is a picture which is at times waxy and rather soft, lacking the sharpness of a 1080p resolution picture. Other than the DNR issues, there is also an issue of the picture being overly bright, specially in the outdoor daylight scenes, to the point of where the whites seem clipped and which requires the black levels and contrast to be adjusted. Also, the colors are a little under saturated and required me to push up the color control by 5 points from my calibrated settings. I am not sure if these two are issues in the originally shot prints or are issues that have been added during the digital mastering or authoring stages. Maybe someone who has seen the movie in the theaters can shed more light. Bottom line is that these two issues in addition to the DNR, result in a picture that is good but not exceptional. The audio overall is as good as one can expect from a drama movie, except for the other common problem with Indian blu-rays, that of very boomy and loud bass that needs the sub-woofer level to be turned down a few nothces to balance the low frequenceies with the rest of the audio. The Dolby Digital track sounds quite similiar to the DTS HD MA track, specially in terms of volume levels. This close similiarity on a lot of INdian Blu-rays, specially the one's authored by Digital Entertainent, continues to be a mystery to me. All in all I am satisfied with this blu-ray, albeit slightly dissapointed. The movie itself I found to be well intentioned, but too cliched and riddled with too many plot holes to rise above the ordinary. But all in all, the movie is not as bad as I feared it might be. For those who like the movie, the Blu-ray is a certain recommendation and for others the BD deserves atleast a rental. Recommended

My ratings:
Movie: 3.5 out of 5.0
Video: 4.0 out of 5.0
Audio: 4.25 out of 5.0
Extras: 0 out of 5.0
Overall: 3.75 out of 5.0 (Lack of extras brings down the overall score)

Screenshots courtesy DDR

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware Modified 'Region Free' with 'BDP83-50-0424' firmware)
PS3 (80GB US 'Region A' with firmware v3.41)

no repeat values hence stopped buying and bollywood stuff not even worth renting as most BD authoring is still crappy
That is why I think these reviews should be of great help in deciding before one spends good money on bad blu-ray titles. This BD for one is pretty good and lately there have been quite a few other good releases.

That is why I think these reviews should be of great help in deciding before one spends good money on bad blu-ray titles. This BD for one is pretty good and lately there have been quite a few other good releases.

agreed but doubt if there wud be any bluray buyers of this title ,even watching this once by renting is a torture

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back