Blumenhofer FUN 17

square_wave

I have been running Blumenhofer FUN 17 for a while now. Thought Ill pen a small review for folks who are unfamiliar with this brand which is available in Bangalore now.

I was on the lookout for a speaker for some time now. I can let you know what parameters I have been looking for in a loudspeaker. What I was looking for was an extremely musical speaker. The word musical is loaded with meaning. I can only let you know some of the parameters considered. They are listed below.

1. Emotional connection with the music. For this to happen, the speakers need to disappear and literally leave the performers in the room. Many speakers I had checked out around this price point sounded thin, had too much artificial audiophile crispness, artificial thin pin-point imaging, sharp highs, lacking body to the instruments, boomy bass etc....There were some speakers which met some of my criteria but not all of them. The blumenhofers paint a magnificent picture of the performance in your room.

2. Realism. The sounds emanating from the speakers need to have very high resolution without a hint of harshness.

3. Great driver integration.

4. Fast and articulate bass with no boominess.

5. Clean and articulate midrange. The carefully selected crossover point and the wave guide does magic with the mids.

6. Very revealing highs without any brightness.

7. Very high time coherence between the two drivers.

8. Sound equally good with Jazz, classical, rock and pop.

9. Enclosure design. After a listen to the Emerald Physics and the Green mountain audio speakers, I knew I cannot live with a speaker which has the cabinet singing along with the drivers. What I could afford from the green mountain was the bookshelf speakers. I wanted a bit more bass extension than what the accurate green mountain was producing and the emerald physics had this whole DSP thing in the picture hence I wanted something different. The horn design from blumenhofer worked perfectly for me because the bottom of the speaker is an open horn. Since there is no pressure on the cabinet, the bass is accurate, pitch perfect and extended without any cabinet boom ! Works perfectly for me.

Do listen to them if you are in market for something special :)

Congrats Square on finding yourself a speaker you seem to love :)

What are you pairing it with? Amp/player? Do post some pics too!

I've heard a lot about the fun 17, the company also claims that this is their best selling product. Where can be listen to it in Bangalore? Also the Green Mountain ones...

If you don't mind, could you share with us the price you paid for these speakers?

Tx!

Hi Square_wave,
I have listened to this speaker at TLR House. Eventually, you were also there on the day of my audition.
The speaker is really a good Floorstander and still in the list of my upgradation.
I have earlier requested for your feedback on housing this speaker in a room of 14ft x 11 ft size. So far I know, your room is not big and may be around of my room size.
Another feedback I like to get that how this speaker will perform with a 15wpc valve amp like Leben cs300xs. Although based on the impedence curve Jochen has supported the drivability of Fun-17 by 15 wpc Leben, but still I want to get feedback of actual pairing. Is there any possibility of doing so at your place with the help of Sridhar. I will be obliged.
Congrats for your pized possession.

Congrats Squarewave on your ownership of a fine pair of speakers.

Gobble and I (we met Dr.Bass there as well) auditioned the Blumehofer FUN 17s just last Sunday at TLR's place. They are very nice pair of speakers and seem to do everything well. Considering your parameters/requirements, think you have made a very good choice. Enjoy:)

Good review square. What are the specs. of the speaker - link to website would be fine - never mind - I see anm has posted the link:) and what is the msrp?
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
@ stevieboy
Thank you Stevie. The amp is the Acoustic Portrait Dual Mono power amp and the PM-1 preamp. Very pleased with the combo. Will post pics later.

@ soulforged
Yes the Fun 17 is their largest selling model. You can listen at the Listening Room in Bangalore. Send me a pm if you want contact details.
There are two Green mountain audio speakers in Bangalore.
EOS With pkj123 in this forum. Ping him.
Callisto- With another gentleman in Bangalore.
Please ping Jochen at the Listening for the current price. They were priced a bit below 5000 euros. I got some early bird discounts.

@ AMITNOIDA
Hey remember meeting you at the listening room. The Fun 17 is one of the most room friendly speakers I have seen. For it to breathe with complete freedom, it may need some 12 x 16 room. But with some level of room treatment, it will work in a 14 x 10 room.
If someone can lend me a Leben 300, I would be happy to check it out for you. Can you check with Sridhar ?

@ santhol2.
Missed you and Gobble and DR bass since we went on the republic day. The TT was a real blast :)

The bookshelf version of the Genuin was a real ear opener. It does not sound like a monitor speaker at all. It is a rather large bookshelf speaker and sound very large indeed. It sounds more like the Fun 17 (which is a good thing). The bass extension is very good.

The Scheu Turntable (premier version) was a real treat. We did some comparisons with the cd versions of some of the songs and the differences were very revealing of the limitations of the cd medium. The correct word to describe the turn table sound is wholesome. Extremely entertaining and resolving. The essence of what the musician is trying to communicate comes through in spades. The setup goes beyond the typical audiophile verbiage of mids and highs etc.
Great experience !

@anm,
Will post some pics of my system later.

@Sidvee,
Thanks for the comments. Please ping Jochen at the Listening for the current price. They were priced a bit below 5000 euros. I got some early bird discounts.

@ soulforged
Yes the Fun 17 is their largest selling model. You can listen at the Listening Room in Bangalore. Send me a pm if you want contact details.
There are two Green mountain audio speakers in Bangalore.
EOS With pkj123 in this forum. Ping him.
Callisto- With another gentleman in Bangalore.
Please ping Jochen at the Listening for the current price. They were priced a bit below 5000 euros. I got some early bird discounts.

Thanx square_wave, I thought Jochen had wound up and gone back to Germany :p He had a mega-sale of old stuff some months ago that led me to think so...will get in touch with him, can you please PM me his number?

5000 euros is serious money. BTW, did you also check Rethms which also fall more or less in the same bracket?

@SF

5000 euro is the germany price. The price here quite a bit lower especially for the early buyers. Lets say it is somewhere in between 2 and 3 biggies inr :D Please do get in touch with Jochen for actuals.

The Rethm Sadhana also falls in the same price range (more or less). It is a completely different trip. I need to change my entire setup to make them work. Not yet ready to do it :eek:

Last edited:
How did I miss this post !
Where are the pics ??

I have been running Blumenhofer FUN 17 for a while now. Thought Ill pen a small review for folks who are unfamiliar with this brand which is available in Bangalore now.

I was on the lookout for a speaker for some time now. I can let you know what parameters I have been looking for in a loudspeaker. What I was looking for was an extremely musical speaker. The word musical is loaded with meaning. I can only let you know some of the parameters considered. They are listed below.

1. Emotional connection with the music. For this to happen, the speakers need to disappear and literally leave the performers in the room. Many speakers I had checked out around this price point sounded thin, had too much artificial audiophile crispness, artificial thin pin-point imaging, sharp highs, lacking body to the instruments, boomy bass etc....There were some speakers which met some of my criteria but not all of them. The blumenhofers paint a magnificent picture of the performance in your room.

2. Realism. The sounds emanating from the speakers need to have very high resolution without a hint of harshness.

3. Great driver integration.

4. Fast and articulate bass with no boominess.

5. Clean and articulate midrange. The carefully selected crossover point and the wave guide does magic with the mids.

6. Very revealing highs without any brightness.

7. Very high time coherence between the two drivers.

8. Sound equally good with Jazz, classical, rock and pop.

9. Enclosure design. After a listen to the Emerald Physics and the Green mountain audio speakers, I knew I cannot live with a speaker which has the cabinet singing along with the drivers. What I could afford from the green mountain was the bookshelf speakers. I wanted a bit more bass extension than what the accurate green mountain was producing and the emerald physics had this whole DSP thing in the picture hence I wanted something different. The horn design from blumenhofer worked perfectly for me because the bottom of the speaker is an open horn. Since there is no pressure on the cabinet, the bass is accurate, pitch perfect and extended without any cabinet boom ! Works perfectly for me.

Do listen to them if you are in market for something special :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back