Bollywood records

akd

lets share our experience with this genre, I have always felt and time and again have discovered hidden gems which never got the recognition they deserved. talking about bollywood records I guess R.D.Burman soundtracks are almost impossible to beat as they are musically so rich that many of them were too advanced for the time they were released. Anyway my intention is not to glorify any particular artiste, lets share our experience. also if any one wants sale records in well mentioned condition is also welcome, this isn't a wanted thread only a possibility if occurs

have you heard The Burning Train in a decent analog set up? its an experience in its own, the pressing quality, channel separation, minimal surface noise and above all grand compositions, the title track is specially seems high fidelity sound in making

keep writing....

this is very true, the recording of "The Burning Train" fascinated me since I was a little child back in 1980...i still remember the LP came out sometime in late 1979 and my dad had a friend make a copy of it on cassette (using Dolby NR) on an Akai Deck (dont remember which one).,,,it sounded amazing. the tape is long gone and so is my father, i've been looking around for the original LP in good condition...if anyone has this up for sale and you come across one, do let me know...had the same experience listening to another RD Burman composition, "Shaan" and the release by Biddu with Nazia and Zoheb, titled "Disco Diwanee". If anyone comes across these LPs, do let me know. Thanks

this is very true, the recording of "The Burning Train" fascinated me since I was a little child back in 1980...i still remember the LP came out sometime in late 1979 and my dad had a friend make a copy of it on cassette (using Dolby NR) on an Akai Deck (dont remember which one).,,,it sounded amazing. the tape is long gone and so is my father, i've been looking around for the original LP in good condition...if anyone has this up for sale and you come across one, do let me know...had the same experience listening to another RD Burman composition, "Shaan" and the release by Biddu with Nazia and Zoheb, titled "Disco Diwanee". If anyone comes across these LPs, do let me know. Thanks

Hi,

I have Disco Diwane,but not for sale.I think Malvai has one spare LP of Disco Diwane.

Regards,

Sachin

@reubensm
Disco Deewane should be easily available in record markets, I (for that matter any member) can arrange it from Kolkata, the issue is postage as the shipping cost will be more than the LP cost (approx 100/- for a good condition one)

The Burning Train has two different release: one with full gimmick pull out cover and the other one simple gatefold, it also has a 7" release where the title track features and is in demand because of its recording quality which is a pure bliss, these days getting a good condition LP of this OST can fetch approx 1-1.5K depending upon the condition, to me its one of very best recording of HMV

BTW TBT has an ACD release with "Alibaba aur 40 chor" as combination in UK EMI label, does any one know about its Indian ACD (Saregama) release?

I mentioned this on another thread. i find the soundtracks of Ghar and Golmaal on 45rpm simply fascinating. they sound amazing. and they are also two of my fav hindi film soundtracks.

talking about bollywood records I guess R.D.Burman soundtracks are almost impossible to beat as they are musically so rich that many of them were too advanced for the time they were released.

Cheers in the spirit of Panchamda

Speaking of Panchamda, yesterday (27th June) was his 72nd birthday anniversary (Happy Birthday Pancham :clapping: ) and there was this programme organised by pancham fans at Pune (Pune based organisers)

A prayer to Pancham with `Tumi koto je dure', Bengali version of the Jalpari sequence set the tone for an lovely evening to an crowd of @ 1000 fans (no exact estimate available with me). Theme for the program was chorus to present the trendsetters experiments that set its own records in bollywood films. Viewers were introduced to the various music instruments (pedal tabla to by Indorekar) as well in the process played by Panchamda own men.

It was a joyous evening and pleasure witnessing music players ability on the instrument despite a long gap. Homi Mullan long time associate of Pancham was present too, unfortunately Ramesh Sppy could not make it to Pune.

Guys, do not miss Brahmanand's (who was present too) docuementary film, an national film award winner on RDB `Pancham Unmixed' Mujhe Chalte Jana Hai (an unending story).............

Cheers in the spirit of Panchamda

the drive on my part to build any 2 ch audio is him only, his music is too good to reproduce

Speaking of Panchamda, yesterday (27th June) was his 72nd birthday anniversary (Happy Birthday Pancham :clapping: ) and there was this programme organised by pancham fans at Pune (Pune based organisers)

yes, Pune happens to be a place of strong Panchanda fan base lead by Ankushji, am I correct?

A prayer to Pancham with `Tumi koto je dure', Bengali version of the Jalpari sequence

the same composition were used to near perfection in Tune kiya kya jadu(APNE APNE) and GURUDEV

Guys, do not miss Brahmanand's (who was present too) docuementary film, an national film award winner on RDB `Pancham Unmixed' Mujhe Chalte Jana Hai (an unending story).............

I liked the part where Bidhu Vinod Chopra remembers the making of 1942ALS

In my opinion aspiration for an audiophile set up (HFM) is incomplete w/o RDB, thats why I started this thread, lets make it a long lasting one

Do anybody have a spare record of " lahu ke do rang" (1979) . I love the song "zid na karo...by yesudas. pls help

In my opinion aspiration for an audiophile set up (HFM) is incomplete w/o RDB, thats why I started this thread, lets make it a long lasting one

Yes, you are correct about Mr. Ankushji. Regards.

Disagreeed brother! If thats the motto, move this thread to general music section. Lps are best known for mids-vocals.
Get latajis kuchh dil ne kaha or rafisaabs ghazab kiya terevaade pe aitbaar kiya.
Panchamda is great. Even on lps, yes. But his music isn t lp centric. Cassete/cd on hifi wouldnt dim his charm.
Lps.... The texture of lata/rafi/kishore/mukesh/hemantda et al especially on songs with least orchestration... Well,. No other medium can match lps wrt above.
Make up you mind n if this is panchamda oriented thread, welll lps might b only a passing reference here. Hence it d b better to move this to source material> music section.
no offence to panchamda fans. M his fan too.

Last edited:
Plodded by one of the vinyl sellers on Lenin Sarani, Kolkata, I recently selected about dozen of 45 rpm records (EP) of Bollwood from the 70's and 80's era. Wow, the sound quality is quite good and there is a fairly good supply of records in the used market. Some of the treasured collection I have is nos. from Chitchor, Rajnigandha, Anand, Nikaah, Kudrat, Amar Prem, Kati Patang.

Manoj

Hi,

I have Disco Diwane,but not for sale.I think Malvai has one spare LP of Disco Diwane.

Regards,

Sachin
I too have spare one. But cleanup once I prepare list of all duplicates. I think at least 25 are duplicate.

I too have spare one. But cleanup once I prepare list of all duplicates. I think at least 25 are duplicate.

We, the hungry people are eagerly waiting for the Duplicates clearing event of you guys, who have tons of records..

Last edited:
I have "STAR " disk

45 rpm , small disk, it has that song boom boom

sounds pretty cool , not for trade though

Regards

Tanoj

Back