Books you are reading

Thanks for the poke, George:).
Had been planning to mention this but didn't get around to it.
Recently finished Naseeruddin Shah's autobiography, And Then One Day.
Loved it except that he does not talk very much about his films. In fact it ends around mid 80's.
The book is mostly about his growing up days through school, NSD and FTII but written very well and very honestly.

Right now reading Rashmi Bansal's "Take me home". Profiles of small town entrepreneurs and their journey to success. Just so many ordinary people doing extraordinary stuff out there against all odds. I'm loving it so far.

Wow, did not come across this thread so far...

Re-reading 'The day of the jackal' for the nth time

Athulan

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

I've got a few on my list to be read, hopefully this year:

One Child-Mei Fong(About China's one child policy)
Sully-about commercial pilot Sullenberger
Paul Kalanithi's When Breath Becomes Air
and a few more.
Has anyone read any of these and any opinions?

TIA

Have Sapiens, Sully and When breath becomes air on my kindle, yet to begin. Just wrapped the woman in cabin 10, pretty interesting read. Started Underground Railroad and Benjamin Franklin by Isaacson

Just started reading Sapiens yesterday, looks very promising. Got my copy of Kalanithi's book, will report after I read it. Amazon will deliver One Child sometime today, along with a couple of others.

Have ordered a few more books from Amazon.com,(Sully, The Wright Brothers, Ray Kroc's-he founded McDonald's-autobiography, The End of Iraq -Paul Galbraith) will hopefully catch up on my backlog of reading during this quarter..

One Child by Me Fong was an excellent read. The Wright Brothers by David McCullough is outstanding. Ray Kroc's autobiography was also a good read. The End of Iraq by Peter Galbraith looks promising, I just started reading it. How to finish a few more.

Lovely thread! Should have visited this earlier. Very heartening to note that in this age of WhatsApp & Twitter, book reading is still alive & kicking.
Have read in the past stuff like Chase, Alistair Maclain, Harold Robbins etc during my college days. Then I came across James Michener and read few of his creations like Hawaii, caravan, Spain, Rascals in Paradise, but the best I liked was ` The Drifters' - a must read. Then many others, as reading is my favorite pastime, time permitting. However, I keep coming back to my all time favorite author - Wilbur Smith. Read almost all of his books, which are mainly about exploration of Africa by Europeans during late 18th/early 19th century.
Can anybody please suggest some other books/authors on adventure/exploration of Amazon, Africa, South Pacific etc ?
Regards,
-- vnmathur

The End of Iraq is detailed, incisive and based on in depth and extensive first hand knowledge. The mess made by the Americans is based on sheer ignorance and is not going away. Thank God Vajpayee steered clear of committing Indian troops despite considerable pressure to join the "Coalition of the Willing" and Mammogram Singh did not deviate from this sensible policy.

Lovely thread! Should have visited this earlier. Very heartening to note that in this age of WhatsApp & Twitter, book reading is still alive & kicking.
Have read in the past stuff like Chase, Alistair Maclain, Harold Robbins etc during my college days. Then I came across James Michener and read few of his creations like Hawaii, caravan, Spain, Rascals in Paradise, but the best I liked was ` The Drifters' - a must read. Then many others, as reading is my favorite pastime, time permitting. However, I keep coming back to my all time favorite author - Wilbur Smith. Read almost all of his books, which are mainly about exploration of Africa by Europeans during late 18th/early 19th century.
Can anybody please suggest some other books/authors on adventure/exploration of Amazon, Africa, South Pacific etc ?
Regards,
-- vnmathur
These are some inputs based on books I have actually read:
Journey Without Maps - Graham Greene (Africa)
Arabian Sands - Wilfred Thesiger (Arabia)
The Road to Oxiana - Robert Byron (Persia, Afghanistan etc)
From Heaven Lake - Vikram Seth (China/Tibet)
In Trouble Again - Redmond O' Hanlon (Amazon)
In Patagonia - Bruce Chatwin (Patagonia)
Video Nights in Kathmandu - Pico Iyer (Burma, South East Asia, Nepal)
The Great Railway Bazaar - Paul Theroux (India,China,Russia)

Last edited:
Some books I finished reading lately -
Nutshell -Ian McEwan (Brilliant fiction written from the p.o.v of a foetus ,who eavesdrops on his mother as she hatches a plot to poison her husband, the narrator's father)
Postcapitalism- Paul Mason (The Guardian journalist's take on world economy post the disruptive intervention of the internet on capitalism as we know it)
Cryptocurrency - Paul Vigna & Michael Casey (Brilliant exposition on the Bitcoin and other forms of Cryptocurrency as well as the Block Chain)
Digital Gold - Nathanial Popper ( On Bitcoins again but from the perspective of all the colorful people behind it)

Just completed reading Sully by Capt Sullenberger, the pilot who landed the US Airways Airbus in the Hudson River and which was the subject of a recent movie. Excellent read.

Churchill's war memoir, finished The Gathering Storm and starting Their Finest Hour. Intriguing read, if you can get past the parliamentary monologues this is better than any thriller imaginable.

Have Sapiens on my list to complete. This year has been fairly good from a book reading point of view. Audio wise I got my Tannoy GRF Rectangular system going, next year will hopefully be an amplifier year!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back