Bookshelf for Marantz NR 1509

kajha83

Please suggest bookshelf for Marantz NR 1509.
Will use for Music (60%) and Movie (40%).
Source mainly Fire Stick.
Considering:
Dali Zensor 3
Q 3020i
Polk RTi A3
Taga Platinum B40
Wharfdale 11.1 or 220

Surrounds will be JBL celling speakers 8 inch for now.
Not considering center now.
Subwoofer may consider now or in near future. Not sure yet.

Please suggest or propose any alternative. Auditioning is not working out at Kolkata except Polk.

Visit Harmonie Audio.. They have kef, q acoustics, fynaudio etc for auditioning. Awesome people Mr. Kavish Jagwani and his father. Had a nice time interacting with them. I was in similar dilemma. Atlast settled for Elac debut 2.0 b6.2 and denon pma 600ne as my music:movie ratio is 70 to 30. Planning to get Yamaha Ns-Sw300 few weeks later for occasional movie sessions. I'll be there tomorrow for delivery of my equipments. :)

Please suggest bookshelf for Marantz NR 1509.
Will use for Music (60%) and Movie (40%).
Source mainly Fire Stick.
Considering:
Dali Zensor 3
Q 3020i
Polk RTi A3
Taga Platinum B40
Wharfdale 11.1 or 220

Surrounds will be JBL celling speakers 8 inch for now.
Not considering center now.
Subwoofer may consider now or in near future. Not sure yet.

Please suggest or propose any alternative. Auditioning is not working out at Kolkata except Polk.

Consider the German Heco Music Style 200. Very well balanced speaker. Will work superbly in HT and 2 channel and should easily outperform the rest.
The base the cone material on the vintage German Saba speaker which has a legendary status, especially for voices.
I think a audioden, Mumbai had them in stock. 9820949395, Give them a call and see.

Currently using Dali Zensor 1 myself, was exploring more on Dali.
Both Dali Zensor 3 and Oberon 3 seems available around 30 K.

What do you think of these options paired with Marantz 1609? Or should I explore something else?

Which of these 2?

Good price?

Please consider speakers which are having sensitivity 90 db or more. While Bookshelves that you have shortlisted sound good, they are a strain on amplifier (86-88db sensitivity). They need more power to get the best performance. Given that NR series is weak on amplification, it would be safer to have easy speakers that wouldn't fry the amps. Since your amplification is already frozen, you can maximise the safety by going on easy speakers.

Bookshelves in the sensitivity range for 89db or so are relatively less unless you go for older models/Vintage speakers. Since amplification is cheaper, almost all budget/entry level speakers are in the region of 85-87 db. The speakers like Dali Zensor, Pioneer BS-22LR, FS-52LR, Elac Debut 6.2 are cheap but need good amplification ~ 60-100W. If you look up 'Thomas and Stereo' channel in youtube for review of Elacs, you would get a fair idea of the quality of the amplification.

If you are keen on bookshelves, I would suggest that you go for power amplifiers which should cost you about 10-20K but would relieve the worry about the AVR getting fried. Also, take my opinion with a pinch of salt as most times we would not drive the amp to higher volumes. I am suggesting only on the basis of extracting the best of the speakers so that you don't feel the need to upgrade.

Any reason why you are looking at bookshelves and not floorstanders? bookshelves on wall would not give you stereo effect and bookshelves on stand means spending extra bucks for the stand. If I were in your position, I would consider the following three options:
  1. Sell off Zensor 1 & buy Taga TAV606 V3 or SE edition (both the packages have easy drivers). Tagas go well with Marantz.
  2. Sell off Zensor 1 & buy Zensor 3 + buy a power amplifier (since you are comfortable with the sound signature)
  3. Sell off Zensor 1 & buy Taga TAV616F FS pair

Sell off Zensor 1
Thanks again.
And sorry for the confusion.

I am personally using Dali Zensor 1 with Pioneer VSX 831.

This setup is for a friend who has bought a Marantz 1509.
Only speakers he has is pair of 8 inch JBL celing speakers (to be used as surround).
No space for Floorstanders.
So, looking for bookshelf.

I'd recommend these..

I paired my Marantz 1509 with Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers. After auditioning a number of speakers from different brands I found Concept 20s produced the most crisp and balanced sound. I am using them in my bedroom without any sound treatment and they seem to have adapted well to the surroundings. I mounted them on NorStone stands. Not only they look beautiful, they sound amazing as well.

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is well regarded musical speaker with 90db sensitivity which may match very well with Marantz NR1509. Most of the Klispch speakers have higher sensitivity so audition then as well.

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is well regarded musical speaker with 90db sensitivity which may match very well with Marantz NR1509. Most of the Klispch speakers have higher sensitivity so audition then as well.
Great suggestion.. I think MA go well with Marantz

Hi All. Went for Dali Zensor 3.

Have couple more questions:

1. If I want TV audio through receiver, what are my options? I think HDMI ARC, Digital, Optical and Audio cables are the options. I guess Marantz 1509 supports ARC? Will have to check TV though. Is this correct cable?
Where in the AVR does this cable go in?
Please help with these.

2. Depending on the space available, I am tempted to place the bookshelf speakers horizontally (on side). Is it totally a no-no? Please help understand.

Kamal

I run my NR 1509 with the elac debut 6.2 bookshelves. However I also have dual yamaha ns-sw300 subs. I love how the setup sounds. the nr1509 has enough power to drive the elacs unless you are in a pretty big room and want a ton of sound. the speakers image well and have good bass output with a nice top end. i wanted a little more heft and depth on my music so got the subs and they do make a difference. I highly recommend the elacs. they offer amazing bang for the buck and they scale well if in future you want to get better amp setup.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back