Budget rear surrounds for 5.1 avr nr1509

smltngs

Hi, I have got a budget 3.1 setup in small-medium sized bedroom. Untreated Room.
AVR - Marantz NR 1509 (50watt 2ch)
LCR - Indiq Diamond Mishra with centre
Subwoofer - Qacoustics QB12
TV - 55inch LG CX OLED

Mostly used for PC gaming, shows and occasional movies on OTT only. I am not an audiophile just an average music admirer.

Thinking of adding rear surrounds to go from 3.1 to 5.1. Please suggest some budget options which will blend with my LCR and something which my little AVR can handle well. TV at one wall and I sit near to opposite wall. LR at near ear level. This system solely used by me.
Budget around 20k-25k. Lesser the better.
Should I go for slim wallmounted speakers or full length bookshelfs. Can bookshelf weight be born by nails mounted on wall.

Last edited:
With the budget mentioned, you may get surroundings from Indiq itslef.. have you checked? Though its not strict to have a same make and model for surrounds duty, still it will be better if you can get it in your budget.

Hi, I have got a budget 3.1 setup in small-medium sized bedroom. Untreated Room.
TV - 55inch LG CX OLED

Mostly used for PC gaming, shows and occasional movies on OTT only. I am not an audiophile just an average music admirer.

Thinking of adding rear surrounds to go from 3.1 to 5.1. Please suggest some budget options which will blend with my LCR and something which my little AVR can handle well. TV at one wall and I sit near to opposite wall. LR at near ear level. This system solely used by me.
Should I go for slim wallmounted speakers or full length bookshelfs. Can bookshelf weight be born by nails mounted on wall.

Get these:

Usually Profx can rope discounts from 10 to 15%

Definitely OWM3 seems to be my pick for now. How would these be angled when I sit close to the wall they will be mounted.

I think a photo of the area where you intend to mount these speakers will help so that one of us can chime in and advise best position

I think a photo of the area where you intend to mount these speakers will help so that one of us can chime in and advise best position
My bad. Attaching photos of the wall. Chair is facing centre and outeredge of desk n bluepillow facing LR. second photo taken from my seating position. IMG_20231108_094920.jpgIMG_20231108_095040.jpg

With the budget mentioned, you may get surroundings from Indiq itslef.. have you checked? Though its not strict to have a same make and model for surrounds duty, still it will be better if you can get it in your budget.
I have never seen anybody recommend their Surrounds and have seen very few members use Indiq for HT. From my understanding surrounds receive much less input compared to LCR and my content is only OTT. I am not much of a discerning listener, so I don't think I will notice any timbre mismatch.

Do full bookshelfs like JBL Stage A120 and Micca MB42x make much difference compared to wallmounts like Polk OWM3 for Surrounds?

I have an old Swans M10 desktop speaker. Can I use it's LRs as surrounds to test 5.1. Only for testing 5.1 effect and check placement.

I have never seen anybody recommend their Surrounds and have seen very few members use Indiq for HT. From my understanding surrounds receive much less input compared to LCR and my content is only OTT. I am not much of a discerning listener, so I don't think I will notice any timbre mismatch.
There wont be a huge difference, in a 5.1 setup most of the work is done by the center speaker and the subwoofer. The rest of the speakers are passengers to provide occasional fillers / effects.

Do full bookshelfs like JBL Stage A120 and Micca MB42x make much difference compared to wallmounts like Polk OWM3 for Surrounds?

The difference will be in the lower frequencies IMHO does not really matter given the AVR capability and the limited performance surrounds provides. OWM3 has been really good for some fellow members.

If you are able to get other speakers like satellites or mini bookshelfs that would also do. Placement / mounting needs to be factored in before confirming any purchase.

If you are open to pre owned / used ones, see OLX, there would be a lot available.

I have an old Swans M10 desktop speaker. Can I use it's LRs as surrounds to test 5.1. Only for testing 5.1 effect and check placement.
If I am not mistaken, these Swans are powered speakers. You need passive speakers to be connected to the AVR.

The OWM3 can be wall mounted on the rear wall, angle them 45 degrees so that it aims downwards to your listening spot. Ideal placement of speakers is anything between 5ft to 7ft from the ground. Dont put them too high else then you will feel you cant hear anything. Depending on your listening position, mount them accordingly.

All the best.

TV - 55inch LG CX OLED

Your AVR is 50 watts per channel, if you add more speakers watts goes down , so it is advice to go with high sensitivity speaker for rear ( as like indiq audio ) to not to load much of AVR

There wont be a huge difference, in a 5.1 setup most of the work is done by the center speaker and the subwoofer. The rest of the speakers are passengers to provide occasional fillers / effects.

The difference will be in the lower frequencies IMHO does not really matter given the AVR capability and the limited performance surrounds provides. OWM3 has been really good for some fellow members.

If you are able to get other speakers like satellites or mini bookshelfs that would also do. Placement / mounting needs to be factored in before confirming any purchase.

If you are open to pre owned / used ones, see OLX, there would be a lot available.

If I am not mistaken, these Swans are powered speakers. You need passive speakers to be connected to the AVR.

The OWM3 can be wall mounted on the rear wall, angle them 45 degrees so that it aims downwards to your listening spot. Ideal placement of speakers is anything between 5ft to 7ft from the ground. Dont put them too high else then you will feel you cant hear anything. Depending on your listening position, mount them accordingly.

All the best.
Thanks for detailed response. I will be happy if I can get used but my location is Trivandrum, Kerala. Don't think I will find used here.

Your AVR is 50 watts per channel, if you add more speakers watts goes down , so it is advice to go with high sensitivity speaker for rear ( as like indiq audio ) to not to load much of AVR
My usage volume is fairly low, so I think it should be okay. Would adding a cheap amp like Aiyima A07 to the L/R preouts make any difference.Though that may introduce its own problems LR and C may sound different.

Any output from PC gamers who use 5.1 will be much appreciated.:D

Thanks for detailed response. I will be happy if I can get used but my location is Trivandrum, Kerala. Don't think I will find used here.

My usage volume is fairly low, so I think it should be okay. Would adding a cheap amp like Aiyima A07 to the L/R preouts make any difference.Though that may introduce its own problems LR and C may sound different.

Any output from PC gamers who use 5.1 will be much appreciated.:D
After you connect the power amp to.LR you need to do audssey once again to match LR and C

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back