Bookshelf speaker suggestions for Marantz PM8003 integrated amp

djmob

I purchased (and actually still waiting for) a Marantz PM8003 integrated amp. I'm planning on buying a HRT USB DAC and use a laptop for my source. I also have a Marantz PM5003 CD player. I'm looking for some suggestions as to what bookshelf speakers match well with this amp. I have a smaller listening room of about 14'x14'. I listen to all types of music with the exception of heavy metal and rap. I am looking for a more neutral sounding speaker (definately not something bright) with a decent sound stage. Any suggestions? I know some electronics/speakers pair particularly well with each other for example Creek/Epos or Classe/B&W. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to hifivision djmob. The PM8003 is a nice integrated amp. What's your budget for the speakers?

Hi:

First, welcome, have a great time.

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what bookshelf speakers match well with PM8003.

The mighty 8003 can drive a FS with ease and still have bags of power in the reserve. Having said that, since you're after a BS, and a smallish room, some suggestions, IMO...

MA RX1/2
Diamond 10.1/2
B&W 685
Quad 11L2

But, audition extensively before taking the plunge.

:)

Last edited:
i have a PM7001 , CD6003 and Quad 11L2 .....since u are looking for a neutral speaker .....quads after the break in period will be very neutral .........not that bright ..........infact i like a bright speaker and hence keep cribbing about quad....

take audition of axiom speakers, pretty good stuff.i have auditioned axiom with marantz, good imaging and soundstage.

Without knowing the music tastes, suggesting Axiom would become a match in hell. Axiom are mainly for HT purposes and would have to be very well mated to enjoy extended listening hours.

By the way guys, the OP has not logged in nor made any posts for the past couple of days after making that initial post with his questions:)

By the way guys, the OP has not logged in nor made any posts for the past couple of days after making that initial post with his questions:)

Sorry about the last response. Thanks for all the suggestions. I got my integrated amp and using with a pair of Focals I had from a previous system. Although they are a bit bright normally, the marantz seems to work well with them. I still want to get some bookshelfs speakers as a replacement eventually.

Welcome to hifivision djmob. The PM8003 is a nice integrated amp. What's your budget for the speakers?

Sorry forgot to mention this in my post. I'm thinking somewhere between $750.00 up to maybe $2000.00 US dollars. Lots of the better bookshelfs seem to have lower impedence ratings which worry me a bit with this amp. I did hear this amp with a pair of Revel M22s very briefly and thought it sounded pretty good, but that was literally for only 5 minutes or so.

Sorry forgot to mention this in my post. I'm thinking somewhere between $750.00 up to maybe $2000.00 US dollars. Lots of the better bookshelfs seem to have lower impedence ratings which worry me a bit with this amp. I did hear this amp with a pair of Revel M22s very briefly and thought it sounded pretty good, but that was literally for only 5 minutes or so.

That's quite a decent budget for a pair of bookshelves. I think you have already gotten quite a number of suggestions in this thread. However, as you mentioned, you need to watch out for the impedance ratings of speakers. The PM8003 is rated at 70 Watts @ 8 ohms and 100 Watts @ 4 ohms, which to my limited knowledge means that the amplifier can easily drive speakers that offer a relatively stable impedance and do not drop down to dramatically lower impedance while playing. You should look for speakers that have above average sensitivity (89-90 dB or above) and slightly high impedance between 6 - 8 ohms.

Since you live in US, it will be easier for you to do auditioning in your home which will help a lot in deciding the speakers that you like.

I was thinking along the same lines, so thanks for the confirmation.

Sure anytime. I forgot to add, most speaker manufacturers only mention nominal impedance in their specifications but do not mention the variances. Hence, you would need to look for good pro reviews of the speakers you like to see what's the variance. B&W 805 Nautilus series for example, can go as low as 4.5 ohms though they are rated at 8 ohms! I think a drop up to 4 ohms is also ok for the 8003 - some speakers can drop further than that and that's when the 8003 could have trouble serving up required amplitude.

Last edited:
@reignofchaos - hahahaha

OP - I use the Odyssey Epiphony and love it to bits. It's more involving and musical than pretty much anything else that I've heard in its price range. You could consider the Odyssey Epiphony II, which is its successor, or one of the Odyssey floorstanders. I've heard the Odyssey Syren, and it's an absolutely stonking pair of speakers for 1750 USD. It's not very hard to drive as far as I know.

The other suggestions here are also good, I am just recommending Odyssey because it's not as popular as some of the other brands being mentioned, and it's superb value.

Hi djmob,
Saw your post today. I am wondering why no one has suggested Usher Be-718 Bookshelves. I have no exposure to these, but reports on web are very good. Reports also mention that these are very demanding speakers. Hope that 8003 amp can deliver the high-current to drive these Ushsrs. Do audition them and let everybody know how they sound with 8003.

Regds,

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back