Bookshelf Speaker upto 1L for pairing with valve amp

Listened to following very good bookshelf speakers in recent past.
1.Totem model one
2.Paradigm signature-1 (amazing sound from very small sealed cute little
speakers with conrad johnson solid state amp.)
3.Paradigm signature-2
4.Spendor SA-1 and SP-2
5.usher Be-718
6.Vandersteen 2Ce signature II (Floor standing very good)

But none can be driven by low power SET amps. Need high powered pushpull 50 watts plus or solid state amplification 100 watts plus.

Hi Arj,
i think we communicated in past. Looking at your system "Leben" amplifier.
i think you got it already. How is it ? i think you were looking for a pre-amp.
The retail price of ProAc response D two is $3500-.
Although supposed to be very good but little expensive it appears.
NHT Classic-3 also could be a good choice at reasonable price. NHT speakers are good value for money. i am not sure if there is a NHT importer.

it would be in the 1.5 lakh regio but do talk to prithvi.

it can easily be driven by a 12W valve amp and I would believe rather well

Thanks Arj. Your signature is really mouth watering :licklips:
I will ping Prithvi for Proac Response D2. Any real user feedback?

Hi Arj,
i think we communicated in past. Looking at your system "Leben" amplifier.
i think you got it already. How is it ? i think you were looking for a pre-amp.
The retail price of ProAc response D two is $3500-.
Although supposed to be very good but little expensive it appears.
NHT Classic-3 also could be a good choice at reasonable price. NHT speakers are good value for money. i am not sure if there is a NHT importer.

Hello SKR..are you back in Delhi ? yes we had talked and was looking for a preamp then :)

The leben CS600 is a delightful amp..It brought about a substantial improvement in Resolution and refinement in my setup and forced me to change my cables !

AmitNOIDA
Thanks Arj. Your signature is really mouth watering
I will ping Prithvi for Proac Response D2. Any real user feedback?
i dont know too much about D2 but for upto medium sized rooms the Prac response 1SC is also really good. it worls well with low powered amps very well. it should be in the 1.2 Lakh range

Hi Arj.
No I am in Bangkok now.
Happy to learnyou are enjoying Leben amp.
What speakers and cables you are using and the pre-amp.
I saw this brand in Hongkong but did not know it was such a good brand and very high valued too. Do you have a dealer in India for Leben.
I just got a McIntosh MA 6900 Integrated amplifier 200 watts here to drive my Quads electrostatic. I am not a solid state fan but some how liked the smooth and warm tube like sound of McIntosh amp. which is making a good match with Quads

currently using Yamamura 5000 Ltd Signature Digital IC and Solitone Model X Analogue ICs.speaker cables are Transparent Musicwave+

ARN systems (Odyssey) in bangalore is the India dealer for Leben..

the MA 6900 is great ! i believe it even runs the Apogees like a dream..that must sound great .

Last edited:
Amit

The main consideration for your speakers is sensitivity-a high sensitivity speaker system requires less power than a low sensitivity one. I have a 9wpc Class A valve amp that can easily drive my 94dB speakers but cannot easily drive my 87dB system-which my 26wpc valve amp can easily drive. You need to do a bit of research, and understand this a bit better, to make an intelligent decision.

In general, most smaller speaker systems are not high sensitivity. I would guess that for 15wpc you will need to look at 81-94dB-but that is only a guess.Als smaller speakers do not produce the kind of bass that a bigger speaker will-so you may need to add a sub.

Viren's FR tower has a fairly small footprint as far as I remember- and it has excellent bass. Why not audition it, in case you havent already doneso-at least you have a benchmark.

George

it would be in the 1.5 lakh regio but do talk to prithvi.

it can easily be driven by a 12W valve amp and I would believe rather well

i would second arj here as response 12 are lovely peice of speakers and they will be easily drivable with tube amp. else you can also look at monitor audio GS10 standmount which may be around that price range and i think they are one of the best speakers monitor audio makes. very easy to drive and would perfectly match the tube amp.

regards,

swatantra

I have got an offer for used Focal JM Lab Profile 908 Bookshelf speakers. It is front ported 25W-150W speaker with 89 db/1M/1W sensitivity. How it will be for vocals, fusion music, soft rock, indian classical? Can it be driven with valve amp of Lyrita? If its suitable then I will plan to get an audition at Bangalore.

Alternately I am thinking for ProAc Response series (either 2D or 1SC).

Comments please

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back