Boomy bass in my room

prateekatasniya

I have setup my home theater in my bedroom. Using genelec 2.1
Genelec 8040b speakers with genelec 7060b subwoofer. With Cambridge audio CXN and pioneer bdp 180.

The bass is loud enough but is boomy.
What can I do ?

Can you post some pics of the room? did you do the subwoofer crawl?Is the room empty? Crossover settings....lots of reasons.

Can you post some pics of the room? did you do the subwoofer crawl?Is the room empty? Crossover settings....lots of reasons.
Only two places where I can keep the sub.
Crossover is at 80hz.
IMG-20180201-WA0008.jpgIMG-20180201-WA0007.jpg
Subwoofer is in the center. I hope its visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is....reduce the volume of the sub...not sure if you can adjust the cutoff freq....but if you can...try some adjustments...

one of the reason bass becomes boomy(peaky for some specific frequencies) is its placement. I see your sub placed in a box kind of space , which acts like an enlosure. place pyramid foam behind the woofer cabinet. It will help reduce some if not all the bouncing frequencies.
For more detailed solution, better pics are needed of the place sub is kept at.

Yes it is....reduce the volume of the sub...not sure if you can adjust the cutoff freq....but if you can...try some adjustments...
Cut off is at 80 or 120 hz.
If I reduce the volume I don't get the experience which I want.
one of the reason bass becomes boomy(peaky for some specific frequencies) is its placement. I see your sub placed in a box kind of space , which acts like an enlosure. place pyramid foam behind the woofer cabinet. It will help reduce some if not all the bouncing frequencies.
For more detailed solution, better pics are needed of the place sub is kept at.
Space not enough to place pyramid foam behind the sub.IMG_20180201_200804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep at 80hz....and try...
At 80hz only

Earlier I thought of selling the sub.
Then I thought my room acoustics might be at fault. So planning to spend on acoustics instead of equipments.
But still sometimes I get the urge to buy something else. But lack of money keeps the urge on check

Is there space available on left hand corner of the rack? See if u can place the sub there....i think the boominess will reduce...try

It's a simple fix. Just remove some acoustic reflections using shredded wool mat from any car audio store who does seat covers . Paste it all around the inner sides of table facing the sub box .and remove the glass below the sub box. Place it on a mat or a rug .AAEAAQAAAAAAAA2EAAAAJGY5ZTUwMTI4LTI4NjgtNDZjZC1hMzFiLWFhNjhhMGY5MzYzYg.jpg

You have to understand , the place where the sub is kept at is acting like a bass booster . It's enclosed from all five sides via solid wood .

Oh.. Okay.. Shall I try placing the sub out of the wooden enclosure?
Let your imagination run loose. Place it it any location, on table, under table, on bed, hang it through ceiling fan :D. you can try and see if it solves the problem. If the problem remains or space for sub has to be there only. Then I just told you a simple fix with wool mat. Bass frequencies are easy to tackle via cheap materials like such mats.

Let your imagination run loose. Place it it any location, on table, under table, on bed, hang it through ceiling fan :D. you can try and see if it solves the problem. If the problem remains or space for sub has to be there only. Then I just told you a simple fix with wool mat. Bass frequencies are easy to tackle via cheap materials like such mats.
How should I make this wool mat look good ?? Its my bedroom.

Get a simple black polyester cloth like those you find on speaker grill of bookshelves or tower speakers, get it fixed over the pasted mat . Guys who do upholstery on furniture will do it within an hour or so. Let me show you an example in the following pic.

See how the fabric is done under the table? This will hide the wool mat.
Under bed won't help. At all ..you already have a rug under ur bed.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back