Borderlinx shipping for first time

ShaQ.Blogs

hey guys...was planning to ship from US a HSU VTU2 MK3 sub or a Rythmik Servo FV12. I understand people have had good experience here with borderlinx. I read a few threads on how things work.
here is a brief with what I am aware of so far. do let me know if I have missed out something.

1. Create a borderlinx account. Need a citibank credit card.
2. Buy the product and ship it to the borderlinx address. Request while buying the product to have an invoice of the shipment on the box.
3. Once borderlinx receives package, pay them the estimated charges which include shipping, duty.

...and then sitback and wait. :)

Have a few queries.
1. Do I need to pay borderlinx registration fee? It seems not on first glance.
2. While buying the product itself I can use any credit card that they accept. Do I have to pay any charges as I am using Indian card to shop outside. If yes how much?
3. How do I inform borderlinx of my shipment address? What is the process for this?
4. Are there any other hidden charges?

It would be great if one could post a break down of what it cost completely all charges incurred starting from the product value.

Last edited:
1. Do I need to pay borderlinx registration fee? It seems not on first glance.

No

2. While buying the product itself I can use any credit card that they accept.

Any including paypal.
Do I have to pay any charges as I am using Indian card to shop outside. If yes how much?

Most Indian Cards will charge 3.5% to 5% per Forex Transaction. It is hidden in the dollar conversion rate which is marked up.

3. How do I inform borderlinx of my shipment address? What is the process for this?

When you register, you are given shipping addresses in US and UK by borderlinx. You have to mention this as shipping address to the original product vendor.

4. Are there any other hidden charges?

Expect that the shipping weight you see on the product site will not be what you pay for. Borderlinx uses volumetric weight. And they might re-package your cartons in a bigger box increasing the actual shipping weight. So while you estimate 1kg the actual billing for shipping may be 1.5kgs.

It would be great if one could post a break down of what it cost completely all charges incurred starting from the product value.

Will check a bill at home and let you know tomorrow.

HTH

Last edited:
Most Indian Cards will charge 3.5% to 5% per Forex Transaction. It is hidden in the dollar conversion rate which is marked up.
So I presume it is better if I can get someone to buy it for me using a US credit card..right?
So I would first save 5% of 500$. Then on the borderlinx shipping & duty charges too.

Also what do you mean by *It is hidden in the dollar conversion rate which is marked up*.
Does this mean that if the conversion rate if say 45$, this is already added? (This dosen't make sense.) Or, if the conversion rate is 45 then the banks would charge on top of this (this seems more like it). So basically it would be like 5% of my total bill that borderlinx estimated would be the bank charges, totaling upto 105%.

When you register, you are given shipping addresses in US and UK by borderlinx. You have to mention this as shipping address to the original product vendor.
I meant how do I mention my Indian address to borderlinx, final delivery of the product. I understand the first part of shipping the product to the borderlinx US address.

Expect that the shipping weight you see on the product site will not be what you pay for. Borderlinx uses volumetric weight. And they might re-package your cartons in a bigger box increasing the actual shipping weight. So while you estimate 1kg the actual billing for shipping may be 1.5kgs.
uh..oh! What if my shipping weight is around 35 kg's? Should I expect around 36 or some much higher number?
In my case volumetric weight dosent add any weight, as the actual weight itself is already high for the size of the object. If for the same size if my product weighed around 5kg's then my volumetric weight would have been different :)

Will check a bill at home and let you know tomorrow.
That would be great...thx

Last edited:
So I presume it is better if I can get someone to buy it for me using a US credit card..right?
Yes
So I would first save 5% of 500$. Then on the borderlinx shipping & duty charges too.

No. Why would a foreign CC save you on Indian customs and duties?

Also what do you mean by *It is hidden in the dollar conversion rate which is marked up*.
Does this mean that if the conversion rate if say 45$, this is already added? (This dosen't make sense.) Or, if the conversion rate is 45 then the banks would charge on top of this (this seems more like it). So basically it would be like 5% of my total bill that borderlinx estimated would be the bank charges, totaling upto 105%.

Assume its already added. doesn't matter if they show it separately and add the 5% does it?

I meant how do I mention my Indian address to borderlinx, final delivery of the product. I understand the first part of shipping the product to the borderlinx US address.

When you register.

uh..oh! What if my shipping weight is around 35 kg's? Should I expect around 36 or some much higher number?
In my case volumetric weight dosent add any weight, as the actual weight itself is already high for the size of the object. If for the same size if my product weighed around 5kg's then my volumetric weight would have been different :)

I think the sub is something they won't mess with. With smaller items bundled together (its an option) they might put a few small packs in a larger box with air pillow plastics etc.

Can't find the bill yet. Maybe later in the evening.

HTH
-G0bble

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back