bought 40 B530 and first glitch in 6months

Re: sammy 40" 550 or 650...???or led lcd...?

these are some pics i have taken

AIRTEL DTH

Is there a DTH provider who telecasts without the "logo"? How friendly are these to plasmas?

I have hathway STB and there is no logo. But there is dearth of tamil channels in hathway Hyderabad.

thanx guys

I have taken samsung 40b530:licklips: LCD as 550 was out of stock
and there is not much difference between them

here is my short review thru my 1 week of ownership

looks:looks are really superb with piano black finish and glass bezel looks really high class:clapping:

performance:
SD:i have airtel DTH and the quality is better than i expected samsung software is good at upscaling. Its pixel to pixel mapping really works
there is no noise or pixels visible in almost all the channels except for some regional channels where pixels are visible but it's not that horrible
but colors are not that VIVID even after settings
may be composite input to blame
HD:played some HD stuff via hdmi from laptop.picture is simply superb no words to describe and nothing to find fault no lagging no artifacts:thumbsup:

cons:
-USB doesn't play movies (i dont need as i have philips dvd)

Congrats on the purchase Vulpine,So what did it cost you?

thanx geotracks

can u share ur tv settings??
my settings are as follows
picture-standard
backlight-8
contrast-88
color-44
brightness-45
sharpness-60(SD)
warm1
edge enhancement-on
dnie-auto

i find these settings really superb for watching SD

I am still playing around with settings. This may sound really strange, but with component cables the PQ appears to be 'less nicer' than with regular AV Composite cable. I tried it a few times, interchanging composite with component and back to composite and then again to component. Very strange indeed. This is with SD TS connection.

Any idea what's going on or is it that it is mere 'perception', since I am trying to look too hard to compare??

Anyone else come accross this? I mean, don't get me wrong, component PQ is good, but somehow feel the picture was getting 'upscaled', 'slightly better' with composite cables.

these are some pics i have taken

AIRTEL DTH
DSC01876.JPG

DSC01874.JPG

DSC01881.JPG

DSC01882.JPG

31102009008.jpg

DSC01884.JPG

31102009014.jpg

ps:if there is any blurring in the pic its not becas of tv but my poor photography:p:p

Hi,

I would really appreciate if you would post a review of the TV. I am planning to by it my self next week. In perticular, i wanted to know what are its pros and cons. I have heard about input lag with this tv. Does it have any?? Also, how does SD content look on this TV? How does HD content look in it? How is this Samy compared to Sony 40 inch S series LCd?

Last edited:

Hi,

I would really appreciate if you would post a review of the TV. I am planning to by it my self next week. In perticular, i wanted to know what are its pros and cons. I have heard about input lag with this tv. Does it have any?? Also, how does SD content look on this TV? How does HD content look in it? How is this Samy compared to Sony 40 inch S series LCd?

If you search thru' this forum, I have given a detailed description of the SAMSUNG 40B530 which we purchased earlier during the festive season this year. Have even briefly talked about the SONY 40 inch V series, which we were originally considering.

But just to answer your questions in brief, SD content (DVD) looks superb. Tata Sky also appears crisp and sharp. The colors are vibrant and the black levels deep. The viewing angle is very good. I do not have any HD content (movies etc.) to test neither a BR player. However, will be hooking up my XBox 360 to it one of these days to play games. Can post my findings thereafter.

Hi,

hi dude,
i have posted a brief review on first page.
i dont get that input lag thing....what exactly do u mean??no prob as such i ve faced
530 is any day better than 40 S series....
theres nothing really to blame in this TV.
if u have any other particular questions u can ask....

hi dude,
i have posted a brief review on first page.
i dont get that input lag thing....what exactly do u mean??no prob as such i ve faced
530 is any day better than 40 S series....
theres nothing really to blame in this TV.
if u have any other particular questions u can ask....

Well...by input lag, what i mean is that i have heard that this tv causes delay in switching from one input/source to another.

Eg: switching from hdmi to component video

Is there a DTH provider who telecasts without the "logo"? How friendly are these to plasmas?

I have hathway STB and there is no logo. But there is dearth of tamil channels in hathway Hyderabad.

Airtel IPTV (not DTH) doesn't have any logo...

HDMI and Composite Query

guys, Today I experimented a bit with TV
hdmi
i connected upscale DVDp(philips 3368) via HDMI and played some original DVD(read very gud quality)
results were:
picture is very bad to say the least
picture is too grainy
volume is less
composite
i just wanted to connect via AV to see how worst things can get
and i am stunned!!!
results:
picture is too good not grainy:clapping:
volume increased
no artifacts,no jagggies nothing PQ was very fluid:clapping:

I still cannot figure out why is this so....

Re: HDMI and Composite Query

guys, Today I experimented a bit with TV
hdmi
i connected upscale DVDp(philips 3368) via HDMI and played some original DVD(read very gud quality)
results were:
picture is very bad to say the least
picture is too grainy
volume is less
composite
i just wanted to connect via AV to see how worst things can get
and i am stunned!!!
results:
picture is too good not grainy:clapping:
volume increased
no artifacts,no jagggies nothing PQ was very fluid:clapping:

I still cannot figure out why is this so....

Geotracks already said in this same thread that his composite input is better than component..

Now Looks like HDMI is bad compared to composite too..

What am I missing here? Either samsung has an excellent composit in or it has crappy component and HDMI in!

Wow, that's totally opposite to what I've observed with my 40B530 :S

I used to connect the xtreamer via composite for the first few days since I didn't have a HDMI cable, once i got the HDMI cable the difference was easily noticeable, specially with the xtreamers menu, which appeared jagged earlier, was much crisper and sharper with the HDMI cable, the video quality was also noticeably better.

I figured it out now!
when given HDMI input i selected 1080p option in the DVDp.So, DVDp upscale the picture to 1080p and sends it. As TV receives 1080p signal it has got no up scaling to do. It ll display the exact signal

on composite connection,TV receives the analog signal, processes it and up scales to 1080p and Rendering is quite good on TV.

(want to say HDMI interface is gr8 when it comes to connecting a laptop)

Verdict:
DVDp up scaling is really bad compared to the one on TV. And any one who is looking for a DVDp to play their normal DVDs just go with one,which has normal connections(if U have a TV that has good up scaling software).
Dont pay extra amount for this HDMI gimmicks or up scaling.

I figured it out now!
when given HDMI input i selected 1080p option in the DVDp.So, DVDp upscale the picture to 1080p and sends it. As TV receives 1080p signal it has got no up scaling to do. It ll display the exact signal

on composite connection,TV receives the analog signal, processes it and up scales to 1080p and Rendering is quite good on TV.

(want to say HDMI interface is gr8 when it comes to connecting a laptop)

Verdict:
DVDp up scaling is really bad compared to the one on TV. And any one who is looking for a DVDp to play their normal DVDs just go with one,which has normal connections(if U have a TV that has good up scaling software).
Dont pay extra amount for this HDMI gimmicks or up scaling.

I think it is specific to Philips DVD player upscaling then? I have heard good things about the WD player and the Xtermer etc.

And ya, Samsung TVs have one of the best upscaling engine.

6 month ownership experience

Thought of updating this thread on my experience.

speakers went for a toss:
In built speakers are not that good. Off-lately, they have been making a weird distortion kinda noise especially at high volume(>10) !! We normally use 3-5 which is enough.
Rang up customer care. Engineer turns up the very next day. He opened the cabinet and checked the speakers told they have to be replaced. As the TV is under warranty, that will be for free of-course.

Speakers were not in stock. So, he came back after a week installed them. Now everything is fine.

He also insisted to use home theatre or some external speakers because the speakers are not that good and can't be used all the day!!!Why should samsung provide them if they are useless:annoyed:
We had 5.1 before but I have shifted it to PC room.

:sos:I need some advice here. I want some external speakers
I am ignorant when it comes to audio equipment though I have basic knowledge.
budget max:10k
TV will only be used for DTH and occasional movies.

Other than that TV is doing very well. Also gets so many compliments from guests(no matter if it is on or off:clapping:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back