Bought my Sony Bravia CX52 46" LCD TV

biswajit.sharma

Hello All,
In my first post I took recommendation for LED TVs, a comparision between Samsung and Sony.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/21720-40-led-options-samsung-vs-sony.html

However, I ended up buying LCD TV :).

Here is a short review based on first feelings, will try to update with pics later.

Why LCD, and Not LED:
I went through lot of analysis, and figured there is no significant difference between LCD TVs and Edge Lit LED TVs. Ofcourse, Full Array LED TVs with local dimming is class apart.
Infact, I compared Sony, Samsung and LG LCD and LED TVs side by side, with same video being streamed on them, and there were no noticable differences btween the LCD and LEDs in all the three brands.
Ofcourse, Power Consumption is almost double in case of LCDs, but I am not a very frequent viewer.
Now, the 46" LED was 90K, was little off my budget, so went with the LCD.

Why Sony and Not Samsung:
PQ - Samsung had more vivid colors, but Sony felt more natural (will post pics for your verification later). Honestly, it was very difficult to chose from both. Samsung looked more suitable in my opinion for gaming etc. But Sony looked better for daily viewing, and ocassional movies etc. Hence, I went with sony, which I felt more suitable for my liking.

Little Bit More Tech which took towards Sony:
CX520 has the same processing engine, X-Reality as other LED versions, where as other LCDs are on Bravia 3 engine. When compared side by side, X-Reality sure wont the race.
Also SPVA panel was guranteed. I seriously didnt want to risk with Samsung's panel lottery system (call me over cautious :) )

Service:
Samsung had really bad reputation in the service part, mouthshut.com us full of it. Another reason of put off.

Points for Samsung:
As most of firends here pointed out in my previous thread, Samsung is way ahead of Sony in terms of playback capabilities. It's true. My sony doesnt detect hard drives, plays only flash drives. Then it doesnt play a lot of videos, some .mkv videos were not even detected. So relying on the standard playback from sony is sure not a good idea.
Sony did play some MP4s, and rendering was quite good, yet support for filetypes not enough.
(I am trying to overcome this with an HD Player)

Price: Rs. 69,900 @ Bangalore, Tata Chroma

Hope could shed some light here.

Open for criticism, but it's done now :p

Regards,
Biswajit

Enjoy your TV, thou I feel you could have bargained hard. The same TV is listed on letsbuy for 66500 and add a 1000Rs cpn you will have it for 65000/-.
Buy Sony Bravia KDL-46CX520 46" LCD TV at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

I bargained as much as possible .. But chroma people didn't budge. :(
But I saw the prices at Lets buy, but never would buy anything from them.
Recently bought a camera from them, and had really bad experience.

Hey biswajit, congrats on youit new KDL CX520! Here's some tips to make your experience fuller ;)

I have the same TV and went thru the same dilemma of choosing between the LCDs and LEDs. There was absolutely no difference in picture quality between the two in the store, with the demo videos. Once you get the TV home, all that tech talk is garbage.

If you think the display on your CX520 is a little on the dull side, here's a little (actually, its a quite BIG) secret to make your TV blow your socks away: Go to the System Settings and turn off the light sensor in the eco settings. Then you can go into the picture settings in 'general' mode and turn up/down the back light to your preference. Believe me, till you do this, you have no idea what this TV has to offer. Let me know how this went.

Here's another tip to make your hard drives work: They have to be formatted in FAT32, and then your CX520 will read it. I have a portable 500GB drive plugged into the TV and it reads it blazing fast! Yes, no support for MKV, but its not a deal breaker. You can download (google it) Avidemux for free and convert MKV to MPEG4, and it does not take too much time either.

Enjoy your experience and do let us know how its going!

- ThirdEye

Last edited:
Hey biswajit, congrats on youit new CX520! Here's some tips to make your experience fuller ;)

You can download (google it) Avidemux for free and convert MKV to MPEG4, and it does not take too much time either.

- ThirdEye

Still better option is to invest another 5-8K in a good quality 1080p media player like WD media player live. No need to spend time for conversion. It will play all files and have good upscaling capability. Even the Asus oplay mini at 3.6K will do the job.

Hey biswajit, congrats on youit new KDL CX520! Here's some tips to make your experience fuller ;)

I have the same TV and went thru the same dilemma of choosing between the LCDs and LEDs. There was absolutely no difference in picture quality between the two in the store, with the demo videos. Once you get the TV home, all that tech talk is garbage.

If you think the display on your CX520 is a little on the dull side, here's a little (actually, its a quite BIG) secret to make your TV blow your socks away: Go to the System Settings and turn off the light sensor in the eco settings. Then you can go into the picture settings in 'general' mode and turn up/down the back light to your preference. Believe me, till you do this, you have no idea what this TV has to offer. Let me know how this went.

Here's another tip to make your hard drives work: They have to be formatted in FAT32, and then your CX520 will read it. I have a portable 500GB drive plugged into the TV and it reads it blazing fast! Yes, no support for MKV, but its not a deal breaker. You can download (google it) Avidemux for free and convert MKV to MPEG4, and it does not take too much time either.

Enjoy your experience and do let us know how its going!

- ThirdEye

Hey, since there is no owner's thread for the TV could someone share the right settings for this TV, brighness / backlit etc Just bought this TV today and trying to get it properly configured.

Has anyone connected Skype to it and tried ?

Cheers,
Vikram.

I guess my post didn't come up.

Just bought this TV, managed to check the panel usage and it was a completely new TV :)

Wanted some help in improving the PQ and what settings need to be done in terms of brightness, backlit settings etc

Anyone who owns this TV please respond, there isn't an owner's thread for this TV.

Cheers,
Vikram.

Still better option is to invest another 5-8K in a good quality 1080p media player like WD media player live. No need to spend time for conversion. It will play all files and have good upscaling capability. Even the Asus oplay mini at 3.6K will do the job.

Hi god2007.
I have a WD media player hooked onto my Sony Bravia CX 52 46" LCD TV but am having a bit of a problem.
The sound is very low whenever i play a movie. When i am watching normal TV through my Tata Sky, the sound of the TV is perfect. Usually keeping the sound on 15 is good enough. But when watching a movie through the media player, i have to put the sound all the way up to between 60 and 90. If i play the same movie on my laptop, the sound is fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how i can solve this issue?

I have a WD media player hooked onto my Sony Bravia CX 52 46" LCD TV but am having a bit of a problem.
The sound is very low whenever i play a movie. When i am watching normal TV through my Tata Sky, the sound of the TV is perfect. Usually keeping the sound on 15 is good enough. But when watching a movie through the media player, i have to put the sound all the way up to between 60 and 90. If i play the same movie on my laptop, the sound is fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how i can solve this issue?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back