Bowers and Wilkins vs PSB vs Elac for LCR

I don't know about them being false but the sensitivity of the Klipsch RP600M (rated at 96db) does seem to be the same as the Quad S5 rated at 90db and a tad smidge more than the PSB Alpha P5 which is rated at 89db. Still plenty sensitive for a bookshelf but a 96db speaker it is not.
Klipsch sensitivity rating parameter is way off standards.
They might be good speakers, but people buying it for sensitivity should be aware of the reality.

Just to add onto what others have written :

You definitely need a 12 inch sub for movies.

Do reconsider in-wall speakers. Modern speakers look beautiful. Let them be visible.

Ideally LCR + surround should match tonally. Hence sticking to 1 brand is ideal.

Do consider brands which are less expensive than B&W. For movies, brands like Q Acoustics, Dali, Wharfedale, and Polk are just fine. Use the savings for a bigger more powerful sub.
Sound coming from behind the screen is a far better experience.

Hi,

Firstly welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find various threads which have been enriched by FMs (Fellow Members) which will guide you on the best AV recommendations and steer decisions for you. Happy reading!

There are lot of speaker options available and sky is the limit. If you have the funds to invest, then you should try to audition as much as possible and then take a call. What would sound great to me can be bad for you as all of us have a different understanding and volatile expectations around performance, budget, looks etc.

If you are not able to audition many available systems within your location, it may make sense possibly to travel to the nearest next location which have a lot of dealers and also who can offer auditions of various brands...next option is to rely on online reviews Youtube videos and our forum.

Based on what you have listed seems fine, 8 inch sub for that area would be a NO NO! Suggest you see subwoofers which are minimum 12 inch or even 15 inch (if space is available). Subs like SVS, Rhythm, Sunfire, BIC America, Klipsch, XTZ, etc are really good. Sealed or Ported sub is what you need to decide on. Usually Ported subs are good if you are more into movies and sealed subs work better if more into music.

Possibly if you share your total available budget for the system, our FMs here will suggest some recommendations....final call you will need to take as you are the end user.....we can only provide pointers and advice.

All the best!
Hi ,thank you for the warm welcome . Never thought I'd get so many helpful responses and that too so quickly. I am based in Nagpur and cant audition many of these brands. I will definitely go in for a bigger sub as mentioned by everyone . My budget is around 10 lac for a complete 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup with a true 4k projector . The problem is HT installation guys here only suggest and push brands based on the commission they get and not on what’s for value to the consumer and hence doing my own research to get the best bang for my buck.
My major ,infact the only use for the room would be movies. Have got it acoustically treated and step recliners installed as well.
Apart from speakers ,would also like to know about source as well . I am using Apple tv 4k . Do we have anything better than that in india which would also have indian content . Say something like kaliedoscape ?

My budget is around 10 lac for a complete 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup with a true 4k projector .
At this budget, with a room meant only for HT, I would suggest that you have a chat with @prateekatasniya. I have read on the forum that he has designed a few HT setup for forum members and they are happy with it.

I don't know @prateekatasniya personally though.

My budget is around 10 lac for a complete 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup with a true 4k projector .
Good budget. Make sure you get the right subwoofer. Trust me even if you get the best speakers and projector you are not going to enjoy your movies with a 8 inch subwoofer. I will highly recommend you to look at Rythmik 15 inch subs. For your room size you can plan a 5.1.4 set up. Additional atmos speakers won’t eat your budget much. For 10L you can get the ultimate bang for bucks HT if you plan wisely.

8340 is 6.5" speaker.
It is a fantastic speaker, but lacks dynamics just like any tweeter based speaker would be. ( Even the b&w 7.3/7.4)
And for a room of 20 feet length no tweeter based speaker would be dynamic enough for proper cinematic experience.
What is this tweeter based speaker? Can you please explain or kindly link to any article that explains it?

Hi ,thank you for the warm welcome . Never thought I'd get so many helpful responses and that too so quickly. I am based in Nagpur and cant audition many of these brands. I will definitely go in for a bigger sub as mentioned by everyone . My budget is around 10 lac for a complete 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup with a true 4k projector . The problem is HT installation guys here only suggest and push brands based on the commission they get and not on what’s for value to the consumer and hence doing my own research to get the best bang for my buck.
My major ,infact the only use for the room would be movies. Have got it acoustically treated and step recliners installed as well.
Apart from speakers ,would also like to know about source as well . I am using Apple tv 4k . Do we have anything better than that in india which would also have indian content . Say something like kaliedoscape ?

Welcome!

Since you have shared your budget, you will get better pointers now!

Dont rush, build the HT carefully and with precision!

Hi fellow audiophiles, I am new here and this is my first post so excuse me for any mistakes.
I am planning a dedicated home theatre (20x16)and have already finalised the following equipments:-

Sony 290es 4k projector
Klipsch Sub 8"
Marantz 7015 av rec
Signature atmos speakers
Elac speakers for rear left and right surround

My main conundrum is the LCR .
Options I am considering -

Bowers and Wilkins CWM 7.4
Bowers and Wilkins (7.4 LR and 7.3C) (I prefer this option the most but my HT guy says it will change tonality and not give good results)

ELAC 1665

Mointor Audio
cp iw260x
Cp wt380idc

PSB PWM2

I have not auditioned any of these yet and open to more recommendations in similar price range .
I prefer on wall for a simpler installation but have provision for inwall too.
Requesting respectable mods and other high profile audiophile members to suggest.
Good .I feel the sub should be minimum 12". lnvest that rightly on a good sub .

It's better to have LCR in vertical direction.

You can also check down speakers like M&K S150 or XTZ cinema series or Dali opticon LCR .These are having very good reviews and well rated.
Finally it's better to invest on better Multi-channel Power amp ,so that the base layer speakers or atleast LCR is been driven by PA.
Goodluck!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back