Bowers Wikins 685 Tweeter dented

Shahza

Need some help. I have dented the tweeter on my 685. The speaker operates fine since it is only 12mm diameter dent. But would like to replace the tweeter. Can someone guide me how to open the speaker and replace the tweeter. I am going to buy the tweeter from B&W. do i need special tools or any addition parts.

Thanks in advance

Hi, Sorry to hear that. Having used wide range of B&W speakers including 683, 684, 685 I can firmly say that it will not affect the performance the tweeter or the speaker as whole unit. This dent can be easily removed without even opening the tweeter. I will send you the procedure thru PM.

Even after removing the dent if you are not satisfied with it cosmetic looks I will send you the replacement procedure.

R. Balagopalan

Can you post a couple of pictures?

Not sure of B&W but typically there'd be a dust cover on the tweeter and they usually get dented. This would not affect the sound in a anyway...

You can use an adhesive tape or double side sticker, gently press the sticky side on the dent, wait for a minute and pull it out. Try it, it will work since the aluminium dome is very soft.

thanks so much for the encouragement.
a16.jpg
k3.jpg

The below worked for me. Was able to smoothen out a small dent on the Al Tweeter.

Place a hose attached to a normal house vacuum directly over the tweeter/Driver periphery. Do it carefully taking care not to touch the driver with the hose. You can use a soft cloth to seal the edge between the hose and speaker. Turn on the vacuum. As soon as the dent pops out, turn off the vacuum. Do not attempt to pull it off the speaker dome while the vacumm is still turned on!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back