BPL 700T Symphony Series Floorstanders

reubensm

sarith said:
Hello sir, I saw that you have BPL Sanyo 700T symphony series speakers. I searched for it and no image is available on internet. I am kind of curious to see how it looks. I used to be fond of BPL and Videocon Hi-Fi when I was a kid (I had newspaper ad cutouts). My first stereo which was a BPL..

Here is a picture of my setup from the late 1990s (should be around 1998). Of course, the BPL TV, the Wipro Acer 486 computer, the BPL CD Player and the BPL Music system are long gone, only the speakers are in use with me these days.

These speakers and their elder brother, the 1000T were the best available in India at the time. They still sound pretty good when driven by my NAD 216thx, The tweeters are simply fantastic, silky smooth. The drivers are original Sanyo drivers, made in Japan.

Each unit has an 8 inch woofer, 8 inch passive radiator, 5 inch mid range squawker and a high performance liquid cooled ferro-dome tweeter.

On another note, that's me, back in the day. Also take a look at that huge Motorola mobile handset that I was using at the time.

Last edited:
Nice share. I think there are some casettes and audio CDs too in the rack. In 1998 casettes were still ruling the home audio segment. Audio CDs were costing a bomb.

Actually if I recall correctly, I was listening to Van Halen's live album "Right Here Right Now" when my brother clicked this pic. It was a double cassette box album. I think I still have a recording of this on tape. The originals which I had were Magnasound releases. My actual cassette and CD collection at that point were stored in the cupboard briefly seen at the side.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my setup from the late 1990s (should be around 1998). Of course, the BPL TV, the Wipro Acer 486 computer, the BPL CD Player and the BPL Music system are long gone, only the speakers are in use with me these days.

These speakers and their elder brother, the 1000T were the best available in India at the time. They still sound pretty good when driven by my NAD 216thx, The tweeters are simply fantastic, silky smooth. The drivers are original Sanyo drivers, made in Japan.

Each unit has an 8 inch woofer, 8 inch passive radiator, 5 inch mid range squawker and a high performance liquid cooled ferro-dome tweeter.

On another note, that's me, back in the day. Also take a look at that huge Motorola mobile handset that I was using at the time.

Thank you sir, It's a beautiful system. I would like to have a pair like that :p

I always preview my posts and messages, still I made an error. 'My first stereo "which" was a BPL..' My first diy work was done on that stereo. I opened it up and hooked tritone 8" speakers that were placed on a 'ghatam'. The sound was amazing. Instantly I started collecting tapes. MJ, Enigma, A.R.R, BSB, 98*, AofB, Madonna.. etc (few hundred cassettes). I still have some of them and more than 100 sealed blank cassettes (TDK, Sony, Maxell). I tried T-series blank, but not that good.

Last edited:
I remember, in those days, people from my office used to come home to listen to it. I had a huge collection of cassette tapes, mostly metal. The model of the system was CWX79 with motorized volume control and Dolby B. The amplifier, cassette deck, tuner and cd player were controlled by a single remote while the TV had its own remote. The CD player's model was CD2000 (I think) and it could place VCDs as well (interestingly it was sold as a CD player that could play VCDs). Sold the system and CD player, gave away the TV to the house keeper of my wife's ancestral home, donated the PC to a poor family who had a very intelligent and hard working girl child. She learnt her computers on this machine and went on to become an engineering graduate and later, a software engineer. That table was a computer table from our office which I won in an internal auction (it came with the Wipro Acer 486 PC). The mobile handset was later returned to my employer for a better one, the Nokia 3200 :)

interesting
even i have the CWX79 with me till now with the attached cd player
but the cd player is a different model and played only cds but was controlled with the remote of CWX79.
the cwx79 has been put in store room while the floor stander still perform well coupled with a sony amplifier.
although the speakers are rated at just 35w rms the sound so better.
i remember to have bought the system in year 1996 or 1997.
the dolby was optional feature that was activated with a press of a button which suppressed unwanted hissing noise on Cassettes.
it does bring back some memories.

I have the BPL D1000 set with BPL bookself speakers. It was one of the best sounding stereo system of it's time.:) The system is not in working condition now.:sad:

interesting
even i have the CWX79 with me till now with the attached cd player
but the cd player is a different model and played only cds but was controlled with the remote of CWX79.
the cwx79 has been put in store room while the floor stander still perform well coupled with a sony amplifier.
although the speakers are rated at just 35w rms the sound so better.
i remember to have bought the system in year 1996 or 1997.
the dolby was optional feature that was activated with a press of a button which suppressed unwanted hissing noise on Cassettes.
it does bring back some memories.

I assume your's was the CDP called CP79 or something like that. Mine had the VCD playback facility as well. CP79 was upgraded to CP80 and then BPL introduced the video series. Good equipment back in the day.

I have the BPL D1000 set with BPL bookself speakers. It was one of the best sounding stereo system of it's time.:) The system is not in working condition now.:sad:

The D1000 was arguably the best music system available in India at the time. It was a 100% rebadged Sanyo product.

Back