Brands you wouldn't want to buy again

pradski

There are some brands we tend to ban for life, (personally).

I would say my first will be

Philips has been one of my worst brand with lot of their products have really hurt me bad. so I am antiphilips for life.

Next comes goldring headphones which took off in a week.

Now I have denon on the list, avr 2309 which was made in japan taking off in 8 months, I will be really worried to go for it again.

Yamaha has been good, giving me good service without any problem so far, except for the remote.
Sony has been good to me also.

Onkyo AV receiver 606, Bought it for my friend 6 months before , had a problem and took it to the Onkyo dealer , Worst service i have ever come across. Will not go for a Onkyo Product again. Even the sound from this receiver is pathetic.

i am not sure i agree with the sentiment of this thread (no offense, pradski), but you're liable to get lemons from various companies, like i've said before i've had issues with a few companies, but other products from the same companies have served me well, i agree that if we consistently get poor products or service from a company, then that is definitely a cause for concern, but on the basis of a single instance it may be too hasty a judgment don't you think?

There are some brands we tend to ban for life, (personally).

I would say my first will be

Philips has been one of my worst brand with lot of their products have really hurt me bad. so I am antiphilips for life.

Next comes goldring headphones which took off in a week.

Now I have denon on the list, avr 2309 which was made in japan taking off in 8 months, I will be really worried to go for it again.

Yamaha has been good, giving me good service without any problem so far, except for the remote.
Sony has been good to me also.

whts the problem with denon .. I guess u shud be covered by warranty ? :confused::confused:

Given any brand you can always find someone who is not satisfied with. take any major names, none of them makes bad things. it just happens.

dude this thread is misleading but fun.....
Everytime I contemplate about a white goods and electronics purchase, LG is at the bottom of my list (its very VFM and lowly :rolleyes:) when I am in a showroom - i end up buying one because of the sheer VFM (again) and flexibility it provides with its products. So staring from my washing machine, ac's, microwave, fridge are all form LG (never had any trouble and they have the best customer service IMHO).

Only other exception in Panasonic (TV, handycam, digicam).

The only brand I will never buy is a Sony (tops in all segments in display panels amongst others except the ps3), Sony Ericsson phones, Videocon etc. Bad experience with these brands and with service etc:mad:

Psychotropic,
I don't feel bad it is just discussion.

But many of us do this in real life. Once bitten twice shy.
Just wanted to know how everybody feels of this issue.
I know it is not the right way.

Deep inside we all feel bad when our products fail and we swear not to buy the products from them again. And many of us stick to that for life.
I think all of us do it in a way.

Maniac, yes it is covered with warranty, just psychologically it gets inside.

Last edited:
I want to add Voltas to this list as they have the worst service. My kid misplaced the remote control of my Split AC last summer, and I got the replacement remote after 12 months even if the model of the AC was just 1 year old.

For me first in the list is LG
I always repeat my mistake atleast once, so i tried atleast twise a particular brand and then realize the mistake

2 mobiles from LG

2 CRT Tv from LG, first TV doesn't had component video, so bought the second one 29 inch but it was unable to take input from Sony hifi-system

2 Sony music systems

Currently i have DAV DZ 750 K home theater bought for 26000 and it sounds like cheap chinese toy

Philips music system, 1 philips powerhouse cassete deck, then philips 1000W CD player

I wouldn't buy anything with bad service. Philips has just 6 months warranty. Both the dvdps I got from them needed to be sent to service. And one of them ate up 1000 bucks because it went faulty when it was just about 6 months old. Obviously the other one went faulty much before that :)
So it is not banned, but I will be extremely careful, and probably put it at the bottom of the pile when considering competing products.

Airtel is one company I hate for service and billing issues. But it was the fastest way to get a decent internet connection so I have it at home. But I will never take a mobile connection from them for sure. Planning to get rid of the internet connection too.

For me first in the list is LG
I always repeat my mistake atleast once, so i tried atleast twise a particular brand and then realize the mistake

2 mobiles from LG

2 CRT Tv from LG, first TV doesn't had component video, so bought the second one 29 inch but it was unable to take input from Sony hifi-system

2 Sony music systems

Currently i have DAV DZ 750 K home theater bought for 26000 and it sounds like cheap chinese toy

Philips music system, 1 philips powerhouse cassete deck, then philips 1000W CD player

I had purchased a Philips 250W PMPO Powerhouse nearly 16 years ago. It still works quite well with a good sound ouput when connected to Worldspace. Cassettes - I dont use them now a days. Not sure of the Philps products these days esp. if they are China made. Are the Holland made Philps still available?
Samsung Mobile - Omnia - not so happy with the way it turned out to be - had many mobiles ranging from various Nokias, Sony Ericson, LG and Motorola - Nokia remains the best.
LG - had a washing machine - product and service has been quite good.
BPL 25" TV purchased nearly a decade ago - still very good, only issue is that I had to change my remote 3 times as the kids would break it.
I have now moved to a Samsung 32" LCD and a Sony Bravia 40" LCD. Both have their plus points - not faced any issue so far.
It also depends on your luck, your product could conk off 1 day after the warranty expires!!!

One product that had consistently let me down with performance and service is Kenstar, once we had most of the appliance from Kenstar, now none.

Worst ever service and product I have exp in my life.

ONIDA - Bought a 32" LCD for our conference room . Barely used for 200 Hrs and the panel fails. As warranty had lapsed , the service center wants Rs. 28,000/- for repair.

Onida again, bought a 29" tv. within a few hours tv had picture tube fault. Asked onida to take the set back. They admitted the problem and replaced it with a refurbished set with scratches(and with a warranty card dated prior to my date of purchase in the box). Had to fight with the showroom by threatening that i'd go to consumer court and asked them to dispose of the replacement from the company at their end and got a LG set.

This made such a bad impression that when i got an AC recently, Onida(although was recommended by showrooms) was not on my list and got Hitachi.

Point is defective products can happen with any company(esp with electronics) but how honestly they handle replacements is what matters.

Add Aiwa to the list. I had their hi-fi for 16000 bucks. Thankfully the companyis no more i believe. One of my worst investments to date.

Although most of the people do little bit of market survey & research before purchasing any electronic items, but still one faces unpleasant experience. So far my experience with electronics items is not at bad. I have now products of brands like LG (AC, fridge & microwave), Samsung (LCD TV), Whirlpool (AC & washing machine), Onida (AC). Earlier I owned IFB washing machine, but now they don't have that reputation. I have not gone for any Philips products due to their poor service. Brands like Kenstar etc. does not seem to me reliable at all. Also, I am not confortable with Videocon. Among the premium brands I have no products of Sony, Hitachi etc. mainly due to high price.

Now I am going to have products from Usher, Jaton, Lyrita. Hope to get satisfaction from these brands.

will never buy HYUNDAI - like pradski says -"once bitten.......

will buy anything HONDA or BMW with closed eyes (if and when i can spend the cash)

Nice thread......

Well if we mention companies which are related to this forum I would definitely say SAMSUNG!!

1.) Samsung CRT- Bought few years back....consistent problems....Went many times for repair whereas the CRT by LG, Sony (30 year old ) and even brand like salora worked fine.

2.) Samsung cd writer- Brought 1 year after I had bought the Sony cd rom and it was useless when the sony cd rom still worked fine.

3.) Samsung laser printer- The chip got damaged and company refuse to replace it...... (this has been very recently)

Because of all this It has been easy for me to decide which Plasma I would buy. Earlier I woud have had to think between LG 50pq60 and Samsung 50b450 but now samsung gets crossed out for their faulty products and LG gets the vote..... :yahoo:

Apart from the scope of this Forum RELIANCE is 1 company from which I will request every1 to stay away. Pathetic products even more pathetic customer responce.

Currently fighting a case against them in Consumer forum reagrding purchase of Big tv ( which never worked!!!!!!!!!! )

HP all in one printer , photo copier, scanner fax combined. Never worked since purchase. They force to buy cartridges all the time. Dreadful product. After sales service is also terrible.Had a plan to thorw this thing on a HP personel but decided against it.:mad:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back