Bravia or Samsung Series 5

drackz

Hi guys,
I'm planning on picking up a 32" LCD TV. Ive checked out the ones from Philips, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc, and I liked the Bravia klv32v400a/b. However Ive checked the new range from samsung online and found a 32 incher which was Full HD(LA32A550p1), and almost the same price as the Bravia. Ive read somewhere tht theres not much difference between a 1080p and 720p on a 32" screen. But i guess the picture shoudl be more sharper when playign HD content rt, specially if i plan on buyin the PS3 later?
I still havnt seen the picture quality of the Samsung LA32A550p1, but I plan to do so in a day or two.
What do you guys think? Should I go for a Full HD lcd which is almost the same price or go in for the Bravia V series?

I prefer Sammy over SONY anyday. However thre are other brands also worth considering (Hitachi for example) . There are several threads on such topic , a poll is also on 'Best LCD...'. Check that.

Also consider 'After Sales Support' aspect. Sammy has plus point here .
By the way, if possible consider 37 Inch instead of 32 Inch if it fits within space and budget constraints. More screen , small incremental cost.

Hope this helps.

SUhas

same here , i will recommend sammy over sony any day, using sammy plasma from last one year it works great, samyy support is also good

well go for the panasonic 32lx75 it also has a AIPS panel colors will be more plasma like just like the hitachi.
while the samsung lcd is full HD and has more contrast they pany and sony V series but samsung has the same panel found in the higher end sony KLV-32W400A.

I have auditioned the Panasonic and Toshiba . They are far more better then the Sony or Samsung.

david

Having full 1080p HD on a 32 inch screen may not have much value. The recommended viewing distance for a 32 inch TV is 8 feet.

If you are not very particular about 1080P, take a look at the Akai Bravo. It won the best 32 inch TV award from AV Max. It has native DCDi upscaling by Faroudja and has excellent picture and sound quality upto 720P. I have heard it project the sound quite well giving three dimensional effects from just speakers under the screen. If your ambient noise is low, you can hear sounds on your left and right walls on a good movie.

To top it all, it comes at a very reasonable price.

Have fun!!

Full HD LCD TV's are they worth the extra money as still HD content is nowhere in sight blurays are very expensive and DTH is not yet in HD

What do you all say?

Full HD LCD TV's are they worth the extra money as still HD content is nowhere in sight blurays are very expensive and DTH is not yet in HD

What do you all say?

Well i have a HD ready set and not a full HD and i am happy with the performance , regular tv and DTH looks great, even video content with my upscaling hdmi dvd player looks good, its better to go for a hd ready set rather than full hd, as picture quality of full hd is only good when ur feeding blue ray stuff at a particular distance, if the viewing distance is more the picture quality will not show much difference between a hd and full hd set. also i personally prefer plasma to lcd, as plasma offer natural and better picture quality and are more suited for home theater .

So before buying the kind of tv u should know , what will you view, where will you view and how will you view and the viewing distance

thanks for all the replies, well i feel that the picture quality on a 32 incher should be almost the same when viewing regular tv, as in tata sky or Dish etc.
The fact that the series 5 is a Full HD should make a difference when viewing HD content, I'm certain that the picture will be sharper when viewing 1080p content than 720p content on a 32 incher....

N plus ill be using a DVD player that will upscale to 1080p....

Also an update : The Series 5 32" is now available for 51k .. and the Sony Bravia is at 49k....just 2 grand more n im in FULL HD heaven!!! :D

Having full 1080p HD on a 32 inch screen may not have much value. The recommended viewing distance for a 32 inch TV is 8 feet.

Venkat,

Agree with the first point. FullHD on a 32in could be an overkill.

But I dont agree with your 2nd point. I think you can definitely sit much closer than 8ft. for a 32in. Here are few ref-

Chart: 1080P Does Matter - CarltonBale.com
TV buying guide - CNET reviews

I believe one can sit as close as possible till the pixels become aparent! - ofcourse this will definitely depend on factors like the make, source and ambilight.

Best Regards.

Hi guys... I'm planning to buy a Samsung series 5 37inch LCD TV. I've pretty much narrowed down on the Samsung after much viewing & research. Then last weekend I walked into e-zone and saw a Samsung series 6. Nice TV but the sales guy was discouraging a customer to go for the Samsung series 6, with good reason.

The screen, he demostrated was soft (like LCD monitors) by running his fingers across the screen. He did the routine with another (I think pana/philips) LCD TV which had a glass face. His logic was simple - a sharp object or maybe a blunt object with some amount of force could easily rip/tear/break/damage the soft screen of the samsung. I was sold on his argument, especially cause I've got a 4 year old at home, who's quite a handful.

So, here's my question.... Does the series 5 have the same soft display?

hmmmmm... didnt check on tht.....I guess it must be the type on panel used.. not sure though...

also wont a glass surface increase the glare....?? :confused:

Hi guys... I'm planning to buy a Samsung series 5 37inch LCD TV.
The screen, he demostrated was soft (like LCD monitors) by running his fingers across the screen.
So, here's my question.... Does the series 5 have the same soft display?

Ok, I did go and check this out.. ran my fingers on a few TV surfaces, and well, almost all of them have the same property. Be is the Sony Bravia's, Samsung Series 5/6, Hitachi, Panasonic....has the soft surface...

The only one which had a glass surface was the Panasonic PLASMA..... so i guess its the PLASMA TV's tht have the glass surface.... n LCD's have the soft surface...

Also an update : The Series 5 32" is now available for 51k .. and the Sony Bravia is at 49k....just 2 grand more n im in FULL HD heaven!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Hi guys
this is my first post ...
last week i bought samsung 5 sieries 32'' Full HD(LA32A550p1) ,i got a good deal for 47 k with tatasky free installation & activation .

Now two ques 1) is there any possible way that i can make use of my hdmi through tata sky (like using any cables or stuff) ?
2) I am also planning to buy a good HDMI DVD ,can you guys suggest me like the brand and the model #

Hi Shivkumar, where did you get thar price? where do you live? Take me to your dealer!!

Tata Sky in high-def, well...natively it is not high-def, but you can run it through an AVR that has upscaling/upconverting and that will upconvert the signal (which will of course not be a true HD picture, but better than the regular 480i signal). I haven't tried it out and I can't vouch for how good it is.

But doesn't this TV do up-conversion/upscaling on its own?

Also an update : The Series 5 32" is now available for 51k .. and the Sony Bravia is at 49k....just 2 grand more n im in FULL HD heaven!!! :D

Hi guys
this is my first post ...
last week i bought samsung 5 sieries 32'' Full HD(LA32A550p1) ,i got a good deal for 47 k with tatasky free installation & activation .

Now two ques 1) is there any possible way that i can make use of my hdmi through tata sky (like using any cables or stuff) ?
2) I am also planning to buy a good HDMI DVD ,can you guys suggest me like the brand and the model #[/QUOTE]

Hi Shivkumar, where did you get thar price? where do you live? Take me to your dealer!!

#
[/QUOTE]

I dont know why u so suprised, anyways i bought from the samsung showroom in rajajinagar bangalore .and thanks for the info i have really no idea on this hdmi stuff just wanted to have a good lcd .

Back