Bryston amps go squared

dinyaar

Hi guys,
Bryston has been updating/upgrading/evolving their SST series amps all of last year. From Jan 09 most of their power amps go SST 2. The amps look identical from the outside but have a small 2 after the SST on the rear panel.
The 4B that i have is from the new squared series. I had a problem with my amp in July 08 and got this replacement in sept 08 and i was sure as hell it sounded different. Spoke to a few guys and it was more a joke amongst friends as they felt i was hearing things. Finally i heard from Bryston and from the mail i am listing the changes incorporated.
1) New power supply transformer design
2)New push on/ off power switch (Thank god for this as the sensitive membrane switch had a mind of its own!)
3)New Chassis design
4)New soft start circuit(very sensitive to voltage fluctuations but can be adjusted by a simple preset)
5)New balanced input stage
6)New power supply board
7)Bridging mode performance improvement
8)Reduced point to point wiring
9)Reduced circuit board count
10)Re designed output chokes

Price of the amps remain unchanged and in case of the 4B the amp goes squared from serial No 4288(thank god that mine is SST2). All these improvements are trickling down from the 28 B SST which is considered to be a brilliant power amp for larger applications.

Hope this helps.
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Bryston has been updating/upgrading/evolving their SST series amps all of last year. From Jan 09 most of their power amps go SST 2. The amps look identical from the outside but have a small 2 after the SST on the rear panel.
The 4B that i have is from the new squared series. I had a problem with my amp in July 08 and got this replacement in sept 08 and i was sure as hell it sounded different. Spoke to a few guys and it was more a joke amongst friends as they felt i was hearing things. Finally i heard from Bryston and from the mail i am listing the changes incorporated.
1) New power supply transformer design
2)New push on/ off power switch (Thank god for this as the sensitive membrane switch had a mind of its own!)
3)New Chassis design
4)New soft start circuit(very sensitive to voltage fluctuations but can be adjusted by a simple preset)
5)New balanced input stage
6)New power supply board
7)Bridging mode performance improvement
8)Reduced point to point wiring
9)Reduced circuit board count
10)Re designed output chokes

Price of the amps remain unchanged and in case of the 4B the amp goes squared from serial No 4288(thank god that mine is SST2). All these improvements are trickling down from the 28 B SST which is considered to be a brilliant power amp for larger applications.

Hope this helps.
Rgds

ITs pretty significant changes for the line! Hopefully some older models will become available for reasonable prices so I can snag one!

Hi,

Dinyaar long time no see :p ! anyways good to see you back ! and congrats on the Amp ! glad to hear the changes in the Amp and to know you got it !!

Regards.

Hi SG,
Yes lucky i guess that i got the new squared one.
In fact i do browse the posts here from time to time and was wondering where some of the regulars (including u) were.
Hope u and family have a great 2009.
Best regards,

Hi,

Very glad to hear from you :D! yes its indeed a luck that you got the new series,but I say you deserve it ;) !

Yeah me too on the same mode ! browse and keep the presence alive with a post or two ! the reason is ( I guess you'd agree with me) that offlate the forum is headed to a different direction and dimension which may not be best suited to some (including me) so have switched to passive mode from active !!

Anyways its a pleasure as always to see you and other old (not age wise :D ) folks and interact with them !!

Hope all's well at your end,any new additions to your set-up ?

Regards.

Yeah me too on the same mode ! browse and keep the presence alive with a post or two ! the reason is ( I guess you'd agree with me) that offlate the forum is headed to a different direction and dimension which may not be best suited to some (including me) so have switched to passive mode from active !!

Pretty much all forums (fora?) I have been on have gone through a transformation. Why don't you start a specific thread to focus on the areas that you used to earlier. OR why don't you work something out with the admin to have a 'by invitation only' thread for this.

Peer feedback is crucial to any forums success esp. from sr. (by postings only) members.

Hey SG,
No new additions in the home set up. Went to vienna/paris for a few days and when i had a bit of time i checked out a few HIFI stores. Saw a YBA pre/power which was mind blowing. Was priced at 6500 Euro for the combo which to my ears was better than my Bryston duo.(speakers used were B&W 805s)

Alls well otherwise but the terror attacks have changed a lot of things for lots of us from south bbay. There were so many stories and theories and opinions floating that i could barely get my mind to my work or music and barely visited the forum too.

Its always nice to interact with all on the forum and naturally the 'oldies' a bit more as i feel i know them by now. SG i remember ur first few posts and the fact that u were weary voicing ur opinion so as to not offend anyone!!!!!!!!

Anyway wishing all of u a safe, healthy and prosperous year ahead.
Best regards,

just wanted to write in to express my solidarity with bombayites. this was a terrible outrage with innocents butchered down by barbarians across the border. you guys have gone through a bad time - the second time in as many years.

hope the music helps as much as it can. all strength to you.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back