BS+Subwoofer Vs Floorstanders for Budget Stereo setup

sonosphere

Hi everybody,
I have seen two approaches in this forum whenever "Budget" stereo setups queries came up for suitable speaker @ 50k max:

Approach-1
a. Get a decent sounding Bookshelf at approx 15k
b: Add a subwoofer at approx 20k

Approach-2
a. Get a decent floorstander at approx 40k to 50k

In case the music preference is Pop/Rock which of the two approaches is better? Please do suggest which make /model of speaker is recommended in that approach.

Thanks in advance,
Regds,

Hi:

>> Approach two is the way to go for long-term satisfaction.

>> Get the outgoing MA RS6 with a NAD 352/372 (used) and you're done.

:)

Hi:

>> Approach two is the way to go for long-term satisfaction.

>> Get the outgoing MA RS6 with a NAD 352/372 (used) and you're done.

Hi,
Is there any Wharfedale Floorstander that is worthy of selection... lets say in similar league as MA RS6?

Regds,

Hi:

IMO there is nothing (<60K) from the Wharf. stable that can come close to the RS6 wrt to refinement, etc. Having said that, I never know what the Diamond 10.5/10.6/10.7 could bring.

But, you can never go wrong with the Diamond 9.5/9.6 for both music and movies, got that VFM thing attached to them.

Last edited:
Approach 2 is the best for stereo listening. Get good floor standers that has 6.5 inch drivers to take care of bass.

With approach one the problem is that you should match the sub and the speakers also tune the sub to play along with the speakers without dominating or underplaying.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Last edited:
I am sure there are good options in both approaches. At the end of the day it depends on how well everything integrates with each other and interacts with the room. Some rooms may be better suited to a 2 bookshelves + sub configuration.

I am sure there are good options in both approaches. At the end of the day it depends on how well everything integrates with each other and interacts with the room. Some rooms may be better suited to a 2 bookshelves + sub configuration.

Hi psychotropic,
Do you mean "some rooms" like 10 feet x 12 feet or smaller are too small for FS? (I have seen some suggestions in this forum to this effect... FS may produce boomy sound in such rooms, hence a BS with Sub was recommended)

My room having stereo /HTIB is almost squarish (16 feet x 18 feet), and the sweet spot of listening almost in the center of it... I have noticed a dip in bass at this spot. Which of the two approaches can cure this?

Regds,

Last edited:
yes, smaller rooms might be unsuitable for floorstanders, but in those, even if you're using a small sub (like an Hsu STF1), you'd have to be careful with positioning. smaller rooms are a bit more challenging than larger rooms in this regard.

Hi psychotropic,
Do you mean "some rooms" like 10 feet x 12 feet or smaller are too small for FS? (I have seen some suggestions in this forum to this effect...)

Regds,

Hi:

IMO there is nothing (<60K) from the Wharf. stable that can come close to the RS6 wrt to refinement, etc. Having said that, I never know what the Diamond 10.5/10.6/10.7 could bring.

But, you can never go wrong with the Diamond 9.5/9.6 for both music and movies, got that VFM thing attached to them.

Hi everybody,
What is the going price of MS RS6? I believe it is around 55k.
- Can anybody suggest a place in Pune where I can auditon MA Rs6? If not in Pune, a place in Mumbai would do..

I am sure MA RS6 is not the only "very good" FS around 50k. Pls suggest any other make /model of FS in 50k range that is "very good" like MA RS6 (considering Vinod's reply Wharfe 9 series FS are out)

Thanks in advance,

Hi:

If any RS6 left, you can get it for around 50k, but dont know if you can audition them in Pune or Mumbai; even Chennai distributor has none.

Having said that, the other FS you audition around the 50-60k mark...

MS Mezzo 6
MS Aviano 6
MA BR5

This is a very 'hairy' issue !

2 way book shelf + 2 subs or FS's

I personally am a BS + Subs user.
All my life I have used FS's.
However, last 2 years I have moved to BS's + 2 Subs.

The main points to be noted are :-

Room Size
Placement - of speakers -
Listening position

If you have a 200 sq. ft. [approximate] ++ room & you can place the FS's 3 ++ feet from the rear wall & at least 3 feet from the side wall then a FS is a good solution. The sound is always 'fuller' & more 'coherent'

However, if set up positions are 'compromised', then the BS can 'solve' a few problems & create many more.

The biggest advantage of a BS + Subs is that the low frequency can be 'tuned' & 'controlled' ! How Low & How Loud [this is very important]...

Will write more in a bit.

Last edited:
The biggest advantage of a BS + Subs is that the low frequency can be 'tuned' & 'controlled' ! How Low & How Loud [this is very important]...

Will write more in a bit.

Shanti: Looking forward to your post:). If possible also add some details about the wiring of components. For Eg: Will we need a pre-amp which has two pre-outs, how to go about sub-woofer selection etc. Thanks in advance.

Shanti: Looking forward to your post:). If possible also add some details about the wiring of components. For Eg: Will we need a pre-amp which has two pre-outs, how to go about sub-woofer selection etc. Thanks in advance.

Yes;

I take 2 pre outs from my Pre;
1 goes to my power amp & the other goes to my sub.
From the 1st sub I 'loop' the other sub.

I use a Martin Logan Sub Woofer. 3 woofers per enclosure - 8" [sealed]
I have 2 subs. 1 per BS speaker.

Hi everybody,
I have seen two approaches in this forum whenever "Budget" stereo setups queries came up for suitable speaker @ 50k max:

Approach-1
a. Get a decent sounding Bookshelf at approx 15k
b: Add a subwoofer at approx 20k

Approach-2
a. Get a decent floorstander at approx 40k to 50k

In case the music preference is Pop/Rock which of the two approaches is better? Please do suggest which make /model of speaker is recommended in that approach.

Thanks in advance,
Regds,

I can give you a personal anecdote, though, as you would have gleaned from the other posts, your mileage may vary...

I have polk floorstanders connected as fronts to a Yamha HTR (not a dedicated amp). The other day i took out some old (8yr old) JPW mini monitors bookshelves (tiny with a 5" sealed woofer) that were stashed in the attic (okay.. in a box-bed actually) and connected it to my HTR after changing the front speakers to "small" & crossover to 80hz. (adjust sw level for lower efficiency of the BS...And did a lot of listening..

while the sound was considerably different, I can tell you one thing..

all my life, I've looked at big floorstanders.. as a ticket to aural heaven - i like my music to have authority. after this simple comparo with BS speakers, that cost less than 1/4 of the polk audios when new; I can tell you my paradigm is completely shifted. the sub ensured there was no lack of scale.. and well... the best way to describe the sound is "much airier"... got me thinking -- what if I'd spent the POlk FS money on a superior pair of bookshelves?

Point I'm making is, if budget dictactes that you go the HTR route for your amplification (which makes bass management a no brainer), you should seriously consider looking bs+sub. (of course make sure it's a good sub ;-)). extending this logic further, if you've buying a sub any way (for HT use), don't buy the FS, and use the money to buy a better sub and better bookshelves!

I guess you could extrapolate this upwards for hi(gher)-fi ..

cheers..

ps -i've had floorstanders as mainsfor my entire hi-fi journey & the rti-a7 are the smallest floorstanders, among those that I have owned

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back