Budding Audiophile from Gods Own country!

iaudio

Hello:) fellow audiophiles/music lovers/ movie buffs,

This is Titus from Cochin, Kerala. I am an avid music lover and movie buff.
I listen to all kinds of music that comes my way i.e I love being exposed to more and more genres. But what I listen to most is Rock and Hindi/Tamil/Malayalam songs. I also listen to Hip hop, Arabic, carnatic etc. I love Kishore da, Yesudas, Bryan Adams, U2, ABBA.

I grew up listening to music on my dads Sony "soft touch" cassette player, bought in 1984 which had 50w*2 rms speakers. I remember singing along "O saathi re" from Mukkadar ka sikandar.
Much later in 2000, I got a Kenwood system, dual cassette deck, 3 audio cd changer and 1400w pmpo. Then I was off to college for Engineering and it was just me, my PC and a mediocre sounding Mercury 4.1 multimedia speakers. I was longing for something better and in 2005 I started on a custom 5.1 amp and speakers with the help of my good friend Siddharth, who is good with electronic stuff. I bought an stk 5.1 amp from Bangalore S.P road, iirc. Then it was a chain of buying local audio stuff for the amp, from pots to bass treble boards, transformers etc. I spent a lot of cash and then put the project on the backburner till about late 2006 when I restarted it, bought speakers and set it up.
I had been adamant on individual bass, treble and gain controls for all 6 channels and with our amateur work, the amp was a mess of wires. Hence, eventhough the amp was punchy there was a lot of unwanted noise and crackling. Also I couldnt lug around all the speakers during college life. So I resigned myself to portable music. From Sony ericsson w700i to my present Nokia n91 8gb, portable players, mp3 and canal headphones have been my lifeline.
Last year I got myself a Cowon Iaudio D2 and Sennheisser cx300 headphones. I am looking forward to buying full sized cans from Grado or Senn next.

On a recent trip to Kuwait, I got a good deal on a ONkyo Sr506 and I took the plunge, though I am more of music guy than movies( 65% music and 35% movies). Now I am looking for entry level floorstanders for use with the onkyo.
Glad to have found a place like Hifi vision and sorry for the extremely long post! If you didnt sleep through it or skip to the next thread:p, please reply.

P.s should i start a separate thread for what floorstanders for my onkyo sr 506>?

Welcome Titus to the forum from the "Politicians' own Country", as I would like to call it :licklips: as they decide everything there !

Glad to know you do have some DIY background and you are also into portable music.

I am more from the old school of thought believing that nothing can beat plain audio CDs !

Have fun as we move along in the quest for ultimate music satisfaction !

Hei Iauo,:D

Welcome to the forum. regarding your speaker requirement it would be best if you start another thread. But before that you do that, go through the numerous posts which are already there in this forum regarding entry level FS. Go through it and find out about the different options that you have set your budget and list the requirements that you have in that thread that way it would interest the numerous experts that is there in this forum and they would start directing you the right way.

all the best

Cheers
Rem

Welcome Titus to the forum from the "Politicians' own Country", as I would like to call it :licklips: as they decide everything there !

Glad to know you do have some DIY background and you are also into portable music.

I am more from the old school of thought believing that nothing can beat plain audio CDs !

Have fun as we move along in the quest for ultimate music satisfaction !

I am with you on the fact that audio CDs are the best. With my D2, FLAC is one way i try to make up for it.
Again the problem is that in my peer group there are very few or almost zer people who want to look beyond mp3s.

DIY days are long gone, I dont even have a soldering iron with me! :eek:

Hei Iauo,:D

Welcome to the forum. regarding your speaker requirement it would be best if you start another thread. But before that you do that, go through the numerous posts which are already there in this forum regarding entry level FS. Go through it and find out about the different options that you have set your budget and list the requirements that you have in that thread that way it would interest the numerous experts that is there in this forum and they would start directing you the right way.

all the best

Cheers
Rem

Thank you for the warm welcome Rem:)! I have been going through the speaker threads. I have made a coupla queries too. But I think I will have to post a new thread with my particular needs and constraints. But wow, most of the info from the experts here is way above my league.. I am glad to be in such august company!

Hello Titus,
yes, this is a post from an audiophile living in "GOD'S OWN COUNTRY"
I will remain steadfast in your quest for the PERFECT SOUND!

Bhelcome mallu cheta...
Danks, Reddy anna! :)

Hi Titu

This is Palarivattom sasi Here..... :)
Palarivattom! Nice, I am put up at Tripunitura( though I am basically from Kottayam). :yahoo: Very happy to have a fellow member so near by. We should meet up sometime. I would be glad if you could help me with getting speakers here in cochin!

Hello Titus,
yes, this is a post from an audiophile living in "GOD'S OWN COUNTRY"
I will remain steadfast in your quest for the PERFECT SOUND!
Thank you, mate! Perfect Sound, ah, thats a far mirage for me!:sad:

Hey gentlemen,

I am presently in Bangalore, but I have a base in Padivattom and also in Tripunithura. So it appears to be a lot of neighbours ! Sounds great !
Welcome to the club !

Thanks
Wilfred

Welcome on board.Very happy to know that you are from Kerala.I am from Kottayam.:yahoo:

Can assure you that it's a good place to be.Enjoy the ride.:clapping:

Danks, Reddy anna! :)

Palarivattom! Nice, I am put up at Tripunitura( though I am basically from Kottayam). :yahoo: Very happy to have a fellow member so near by. We should meet up sometime. I would be glad if you could help me with getting speakers here in cochin!

Thank you, mate! Perfect Sound, ah, thats a far mirage for me!:sad:

I am basicaly from Thrissur, but nowin chennai..

Welcome on board.Very happy to know that you are from Kerala.I am from Kottayam.:yahoo:

Can assure you that it's a good place to be.Enjoy the ride.:clapping:

So bobby,santhu
Can you guys please guide me as to where all I can shop for hifi/ht stuff here?
Any dealers/shops you know or recommend?
Bobby, where did you get your ht stuff? And you are in Ktm right, i am hoping you will invite me when your house is done to see the ht hall!:eek:hyeah:

"Politicians' own country"
:mad:
:cool:

Are u referring to all India?????

Anyway we should not bring politics here!!!!!:)

As Humphrey Bougart ( As Rick)says in casablanca -

Rick: You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.

Welcome buddy this is Hemant here from aamchi Mumbai

Have a rocking time here!!

I always like to think myself as citizen of India and sometimes of the world!!

-------------

Another good "dialoubaazi" from Casablanca--:argue:

(German gastapo ) Major Strasser: What is your nationality? :mad:

(Apna Hero Humprey Bougart) Rick: I'm a drunkard. :cheers::cheers::cheers:
I'm a drunkard. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

( Hero ka Dost) Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world. :cool::rolleyes::eek:

[all laugh]

Takliyyan-:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Bump! Anyone?
So bobby,santhu
Bobby, where did you get your ht stuff? And you are in Ktm right, i am hoping you will invite me when your house is done to see the ht hall!:eek:hyeah:

"Politicians' own country"
:mad:
:cool:

Are u referring to all India?????

Anyway we should not bring politics here!!!!!:)

As Humphrey Bougart ( As Rick)says in casablanca -

Rick: You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.

Welcome buddy this is Hemant here from aamchi Mumbai

Have a rocking time here!!

I always like to think myself as citizen of India and sometimes of the world!!

-------------

Another good "dialoubaazi" from Casablanca--:argue:

(German gastapo ) Major Strasser: What is your nationality? :mad:

(Apna Hero Humprey Bougart) Rick: I'm a drunkard. :cheers::cheers::cheers:
I'm a drunkard. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

( Hero ka Dost) Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world. :cool::rolleyes::eek:

[all laugh]

Takliyyan-:clapping::clapping::clapping:
:DThanks for the welcome, Hemant bhai!

So bobby,santhu

There is not that much options there i think .you can check out speakers in Hi FI Link in Kochin and Trivandrum.

Or you can come to Chennai-Here in Chennai--PRO FX giving Deliveries and installtions in Kerala also.

Cheers
Santhukp

Try these guys

HiFi Links
Door No-44/3361
Prashanthi Building, Kalloor
Kochi, India - 682017

I got this from the FX Entertainment site, they are distributors for Cambridge Audio / Mordaunt Short etc.,

Try these guys

HiFi Links
Door No-44/3361
Prashanthi Building, Kalloor
Kochi, India - 682017

I got this from the FX Entertainment site, they are distributors for Cambridge Audio / Mordaunt Short etc.,
Thanks, Santhukp and Psychotropic.
I am already familiar with HIfi links. I have personally visited the outlet and checked out a few speakers. But I hear there are a coupla more outlets in Cochin, and wanted to know about that.

Thanks, Santhukp and Psychotropic.
I am already familiar with HIfi links. I have personally visited the outlet and checked out a few speakers. But I hear there are a coupla more outlets in Cochin, and wanted to know about that.

I think in cochin there is a Onkyo Dealer. You can touch with them. I know One Onkyo Executive in Chennai. but missed his no .But you can contact him in his Office no(Onkyo Chennai)- .04442111649(JayaRam).He will assist you for the Hunt.:)
Good Luck.....

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back