Budget amplifier

allwin005

Hi All, I'm looking to buy a budget amp within 15k to connect to my TV.
Would a new Norge 2060 or used amps like NAD 325BEE etc be better?
I'm yet to finalize on speakers within 25k range(might probably go with KEF Q100).

Please let me know of your opinions...

Within 15K, you really have following choices:
- Norge 2060, 1000 Gold, 2000 Ref
- Cambridge Audio - Topaz AM 5 (25WPC @ 8 Ohm, Price <16K "http://shop.technoguru.in/stereo-am...-am-5-integrated-amplifier-5055300402028.html")
- pre-oned/used amplifier - you may try to get Marantz PM5005, Denon PMA520, may be some NAD

If looking for international brands, then why not exceeding amplifier budget to 20K and get Marantz PM5005 with warranty?
If thinking of KEF100 then try Marantz.

Hope it helps.

I'm yet to finalize on speakers within 25k range(might probably go with KEF Q100).

Perhaps you can look at powered Bookshelf Speakers (Edifier, Swans etc) which will serve the purpose unless you are looking at hooking up more sources besides the TV?

Jumping in the Queue. Any pre-worshiped amp in similar budget with around 90w at 8ohms? Do let me know too please.

MaSh

Last edited:
Class D is gaining popularity.

I would recommend Allo Volt+ (<5k) or Allo Volt+Double(<10k) and you wont regret. Money saved can be spent for good stands.

For less than 15k you can get the Norge 1000 gold shipped. If in Mumbai, you may audition it at the factory itself. Should drive most speakers in the 25k range without breaking a sweat. KEF q 100 are less sensitive at 86db. Should go for as powerful an amp as you can.

Within 15K, you really have following choices:
- Norge 2060, 1000 Gold, 2000 Ref
- Cambridge Audio - Topaz AM 5 (25WPC @ 8 Ohm, Price <16K "http://shop.technoguru.in/stereo-am...-am-5-integrated-amplifier-5055300402028.html")
- pre-oned/used amplifier - you may try to get Marantz PM5005, Denon PMA520, may be some NAD

If looking for international brands, then why not exceeding amplifier budget to 20K and get Marantz PM5005 with warranty?
If thinking of KEF100 then try Marantz.

Hope it helps.
I read somewhere in forum that Norge 2060 would be similar in Audio Quality to PM5005, 2060 goes for around 11k.
Saw rave reviews about NAD 325bee for 15k, so want to know how it would compare to Norge.
So would NAD be worth it for extra money and still being a used one over a new Norge?

Perhaps you can look at powered Bookshelf Speakers (Edifier, Swans etc) which will serve the purpose unless you are looking at hooking up more sources besides the TV?

Would the sound Quality of Active speakers like Swans Mkiii or JBL LSR 305 be similar to this setup(Norge 2060+q100) ?
Also have read some where that when connecting Actives to TV directly it would be an issue controlling the sound Would that be a problem? (Cant we just modify volume with TV or setup box remote?)

For less than 15k you can get the Norge 1000 gold shipped. If in Mumbai, you may audition it at the factory itself. Should drive most speakers in the 25k range without breaking a sweat. KEF q 100 are less sensitive at 86db. Should go for as powerful an amp as you can.

Read somewhere that 2060's smoother than 1000 Gold, thats why thought to go with it even though Gold could deliver higher watts at 8ohms.

Class D is gaining popularity.

I would recommend Allo Volt+ (<5k) or Allo Volt+Double(<10k) and you wont regret. Money saved can be spent for good stands.

I'm hearing about Alto first time, it seems like something that has to be assembled, not sure.
Would it be worth to assemble it, I'm new to these stuffs..
Would the audio Quality be considerably better than Norge?

Would the sound Quality of Active speakers like Swans Mkiii or JBL LSR 305 be similar to this setup(Norge 2060+q100) ?
Also have read some where that when connecting Actives to TV directly it would be an issue controlling the sound Would that be a problem? (Cant we just modify volume with TV or setup box remote?)

Sound quality will be good...again depends on which brand and how much of output you are looking out for.

Usually through Tata Sky or Set Top Boxes....the signal (optical / coaxial / analog) is fed to the powered speakers...so you can control the volume using the remote of the set top box or Tata Sky....you will need to play with the settings of the box and check first.

If connecting from TV, please check the manual if you can control via remote the output levels........(analog / optical )

Powered speakers will perform as per the specs as a matching in built amp is present....the question of muddy sound is very remote unless you feed bad sources or content to the powered speakers...

Which city are you based in???

See this site also for powered speakers, audition where possible(else rely on some Youtube user review videos) and take a call...

https://www.bajaao.com/collections/monitors-speakers#/sort:ss_price:asc

I read somewhere in forum that Norge 2060 would be similar in Audio Quality to PM5005, 2060 goes for around 11k.
If your room size is small to medium, then you can consider Norge 2060. I feel the audio quality is same as Marantz 5005. Its my view.
Do audition and then decide.

Saw rave reviews about NAD 325bee for 15k, so want to know how it would compare to Norge.
So would NAD be worth it for extra money and still being a used one over a new Norge?

Music or sound is very subjective and everyone has their own taste and liking, so only you can decide what sounds best to your ears.
I won't say that 2060 and 5005 sound same because it both sound different to me, but I would rather say that audition which ever gear you can and then only you would be able to decide if it is as per your taste or not.

If you are willing to go by suggestions from the forum without auditioning then definitely you will get good advice here but based on specific taste and experience of the adviser.

You are looking to hook up amp with your TV/set-of-box, so one thing to watch out for is that amplifier + speaker combo should not be bright as analog out from set-of-box is not really of great quality.

So, if thinking of 2060 then one of the best option would be to use it with Warfedale, this combo really sounds excellent for most of us.

NAD has a different sound signature, you need to listen it before deciding if you like it and then need to pair it correctly.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back