Budget approx 5-6 lakhs, need advice please..

Though I loved the sound of the PSB synchrony, IMO they are overpriced by Lakozy. Unless you can wring a deal out of them, they are not worth the quoted price (~3.5L, for a speaker that has a SRP ~$4K is a total ripoff, you can get a pair for $3K retail in most parts of the US, which tells you about the kind of margins the india distri is keeping on the line).

I also noted that since this issue has been repeated by me quite a few times, PSB has removed SRPs from their website. I don't know that the speakers are really worth that much, personally, but it's not my money.

I also don't know about the Rethm Sadhana in a multichannel-capable setup.

I would look at the Dali Helicon 400s also, they're a pretty capable speaker though slightly fat (not as much as reviews would indicate). There is a full suite of multichannel options with the Helicons.

Some of the bigger Usher Dancers would be an option, I have the Minis and they're mind-boggling value. I would think the CP8711 could be close to what you're looking at.

If you like a slightly lively presentation then some of the Dynaudio setups may be what you're looking for. Not the last word in inner detail, but very exciting and forward sound.

My comments about the Synchrony One are applicable to the M3 as well. Outstanding amp, by all reports (I haven't heard it), but on a sticker RRP of $3000 the asking price is 2.5L, which is way too much and I'm not sure the amp is worth that. Today the price differentials have come much closer and though I don't expect anybody to be buying at US RRP + duties, we have brands offering much better value (performance vs pocket) and I see no reason to pay stupid premiums on products just because you can't get those brands anywhere else.

Depending on the speakers you choose and like, look at an amp that does them justice tonally. What kind of music do you listen to? Maybe that will help guide the suggestions to a narrower and more relevant set of options.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback.. The room size is about 20 ft X 30 ft and is mainly a casual living room with a bunch of low couches, 2 open balconies (can be closed with doors) 1 hitachi 1080 panel, 1 Sony Blue-Ray DVD player and a Classe CD Player.

The setup will be used to listen to music, most of it all over the map..from Soft Rock to Pop to Electronic to Rock. Of course the monthly hindi session with absolut, Bacardi and a few friends :)

I've tried to audition a few setups but the demo rooms were so accoustically treated and was sitting 4 ft away from the speakers that couldn't tell the "real world" sound.

The only 2 stores that i found in mumbai were lakozy (Loves NAD and PSB), and 1 guy in Juhu with B&W, but prices were unreal. 75% markup over US prices. A few people commented to fly to dubai or singapore but i highly doubt thats gonna happen..

Any stores, people or brands that are available in mumbai that i should go look at? can a demo be done at the house?

Thanks again.

Hi Again,
Someone asked if this was an upgrade, well yes and no, i'm currently moving into a new house so gonna leave the old setup (Denon Receiver and PSB Image T-45's) at the old place for my parents. I never liked the sound of that setup but my parents couldn't care less.
This is a entirely new setup for a new house and this time I want to get purely audio ready.
So it's kinda an upgrade but not really..Sorry for going backasswards around it..
Thanks,

Newbie, if possible catch a flight to Coimbatore and audition the Audire amps and speakers. I have written a detailed review of their system and its performance in this Forum. They have both pure class A amps as well as regular amps driving specially made speakers that have Fostex and Feastrex drivers.

Another member from Bangalore recently heard their low end speakers and was completely floored by the performance.

Cheers

venkat, add my name to that list as well.
was recently there and amazed by the value for money and the performance in general. I will post in detail more about my audition

yes, as I put it, this journey is more enjoyable than the destination!

So you don't like the psb sound. Is there any system you heard and liked?

regards

Once you get the stuff home, it becomes part of your routine - so enjoy the process. It makes you think :)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback.. The room size is about 20 ft X 30 ft and is mainly a casual living room with a bunch of low couches, 2 open balconies (can be closed with doors) 1 hitachi 1080 panel, 1 Sony Blue-Ray DVD player and a Classe CD Player.

The setup will be used to listen to music, most of it all over the map..from Soft Rock to Pop to Electronic to Rock. Of course the monthly hindi session with absolut, Bacardi and a few friends :)

I've tried to audition a few setups but the demo rooms were so accoustically treated and was sitting 4 ft away from the speakers that couldn't tell the "real world" sound.

The only 2 stores that i found in mumbai were lakozy (Loves NAD and PSB), and 1 guy in Juhu with B&W, but prices were unreal. 75% markup over US prices. A few people commented to fly to dubai or singapore but i highly doubt thats gonna happen..

Any stores, people or brands that are available in mumbai that i should go look at? can a demo be done at the house?

Thanks again.

Your room is huge. If you do listen to bass heavy music, please keep in mind that you will need really large dynamic woofers (as well as speakers that can play at higher volumes with low distortion) to fill this size room with adequate bass.

cheers
Sridhar

Hi Guys,

Thanks again.

Hi Again,
Home demo s of most gear is possible in bbay. Apart from lakozy who distributes nad/psb and AVI that u have already visited check out a store called Boomarang at Juhu.They have accuphase, Sim audio, Bryston,Musical fidelity, arcam, cyrus,marantz, yamaha, YBA in electronics and Morel,Monitor audio,Dali,Quads,PMC,Thiel,totem and maybe even some spendors.
Dynaudio is always a good choice for me and sound smiths are the distributors. I think they are at Lower Parel now. They also stock Plinius,primare.
A great set up could be a tube pre / SS power amp /speakers of your choice.
For a cdp around a lac check out the arcam FMJ CD 37 or for a rounder smoother sound the marantz SA 11 S2 (though not as dynamic)
Cant really recommend the Ushers as most of us from bbay have not heard them. The dealer is odyssey on the forum and u could PM him and he will surely assist u in every way.
If u do like a B&W then the best bet is to go directly to new empire and speak to either Burge or Munir and check out the best they can offer. They also stock classe, Audio Research, Nuforce,Rotel, wilson audio.
Rgds

Hi Newbie2009,

A lot of good brands of speakers have been suggested to you. I want tp make an unusual suggestion for speakers to you.

These are for a German brand "Canton" CANTON pure music - German Loudspeaker Tradition since 1972 (en). They are not the most popular brands in India and as a result you would not find people recommending it. They are also not the cheapest. Since you have a sizeable budget, I would say give them a try along with the other brands. My understanding is that "Soundsmiths" in Bombay are the Indian distributors.

I have a pair of Canton Karat 60 speakers bought in 1989 and they are still completely functional. I now drive them with a Leben CS300 tube amp and TDK/Hitachi PCOCC speaker cables. The sound signature is quite neutral, open and revealing, with good clarity and definition throughout the frequency range. I have not heard any modern Canton speakers, but from expert and user reviews around the world, they do not seem to have lost way.

Their current Vento and Karat series may suit your requirements, especially because you want to move later to 5.1 channels. All the Canton lines can be completed with matching center, sourround and SW.

Here is a stereophile review of the Vento 809DC speakers: Stereophile: Canton Vento 809 DC loudspeaker

The reviewer compares these Canton speakers (at list price USD 5000/pair) with Sonus Faber Cremonas (at list price USD 7495/pair). The reviewer signs off by saying the following about the Canton Vento 809 DC speakers: " the Canton proves that accuracy needn't be ruthless".

BTW, recently Canton has changed the names of the models, so the Vento 809 DC has a new name 890 DC. I am not sure about the changes, both in design and price, if any. There is a less expensive Vento 870 DC too.

Their Karat series is also supposed to be very good. Here is a stereophile review (by JA): Stereophile: Canton Karat Reference 2 DC loudspeaker
of the Karat Reference 2 DC. This one is much more expensive though.

These are excellent speakers for big rooms. They also do not need a lot of tweaking. If I am correct JA mentions about these not at all toed in or something in his test.

If you want colorations in your sound, these are not for you. Canton speakers are generally quite unforgiving to poor electronics and poor recordings. Bad records will sound bad, as simple as that.

BTW, I forgot to metion they produce a beautiful soundstage. So especially in bigger rooms, these would produce a huge soundstage.

Two more things. Like in mine, they still use Aluminium-Manganese tweeters in all their speaker lines, but I am sure it has developed over the years from the time I bought them. These are quite special. The other thing I like to say is that their specs are always on the conservative side (for example, in the Vento 809 DC review above, you will find in the measurement section of the review the sensitivity to be significantly higher than the Canton specifications). I myself have experienced this sort of thing with my speakers.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back