Budget audiophile dap and headphones recommendations.

Dr.Lakshay

Hi guys. I have been looking to enter the world of audiophiles. So thinking to get budget audiophile dap for using in car as well as normally. I am considering fiio x1 or cayin N3. It is really confusing which one to choose. Also there are many other options in similar Budget like shanling and xduuo. Please help me choose.
Also I want to buy either a pair of over ear headphones or in ear. I don't know which ones would give better sound quality. I want wide open sound stage, crisp clear sound and some bass too but which is not overpowering the midrange. Budget strictly under 5k for headphones. Please recommend if you can.
TIA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you need a open soundstage, a open back is recommended. If you can stretch your budget a bit, get a sennheiser HD 598se which should last you very long.

For DAP, you would not go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned but something like Aune M1s would last a long time. I personally have Aune m1s and FIIO X5 (gen 1). The X5 was the center of my audio world for quite some time till i could afford different components. It served as my DAP, source on stereo set-up as it had line out and also as a standalone dac with computer as source to watch movies!

You can even consider budget players from china like Walnut and Zishan but they do not have a display!

If you need a open soundstage, a open back is recommended. If you can stretch your budget a bit, get a sennheiser HD 598se which should last you very long.

For DAP, you would not go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned but something like Aune M1s would last a long time. I personally have Aune m1s and FIIO X5 (gen 1). The X5 was the center of my audio world for quite some time till i could afford different components. It served as my DAP, source on stereo set-up as it had line out and also as a standalone dac with computer as source to watch movies!

You can even consider budget players from china like Walnut and Zishan but they do not have a display!

Well unfortunately can't extend my budget for the headphones.
As for dap I can get a 2nd hand fiio x1 for about 4.5k but unable to find a 2nd hand cayin. So do you think cayin would be worth the extra 8500rs?
Also what would be better (sq wise) a dap like fiio x1 or a USB dac to pair with the mobile(s7 edge) ?

Well unfortunately can't extend my budget for the headphones.
As for dap I can get a 2nd hand fiio x1 for about 4.5k but unable to find a 2nd hand cayin. So do you think cayin would be worth the extra 8500rs?
Also what would be better (sq wise) a dap like fiio x1 or a USB dac to pair with the mobile(s7 edge) ?

I think the Fiio e17k(used as a usb dac and headphone amp) will have a slight edge over the fiio x1 with regards to sound quality and definitely with regard to more power. I would wholeheartedly suggest that. Taking baby steps, comparing, and then moving to higher daps always helps. If you want to take a bigger leap, I have a Fiio X3 2nd gen which I can let go for 10000 with a 32 GB MicroSD card. It has DSD decoding also, and is quite a bit better than an X1. I have a pair of earphones too the Fiio EX1 ii which I will be listing soon as well. But I would just suggest going for the Fiio e17k for now. It really helps taking baby steps. :)

Here is the link: https://www.headphonezone.in/products/fiio-alpen-2-e17k

Also, the Fiio X1 cannot be used as a USB DAC with the computer and lacks coaxial output also.

I think the Fiio e17k(used as a usb dac and headphone amp) will have a slight edge over the fiio x1 with regards to sound quality and definitely with regard to more power. I would wholeheartedly suggest that. Taking baby steps, comparing, and then moving to higher daps always helps. If you want to take a bigger leap, I have a Fiio X3 2nd gen which I can let go for 10000 with a 32 GB MicroSD card. It has DSD decoding also, and is quite a bit better than an X1. I have a pair of earphones too the Fiio EX1 ii which I will be listing soon as well. But I would just suggest going for the Fiio e17k for now. It really helps taking baby steps. :)

Here is the link: https://www.headphonezone.in/products/fiio-alpen-2-e17k

Also, the Fiio X1 cannot be used as a USB DAC with the computer and lacks coaxial output also.
Thanks for the input. But I think a dap has more versatility. So will be going with a dap. Won't need usb dac much. But I do need Bluetooth for sure. So seems to be fiio x1 and cayin n3 fit the bill for me.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back