Budget AVR Setup for Metal, Rock, Melodies & Movies (in that order)

lapstre

Hi,
I'm trying to pull together a budget AVR setup for Music and Movies. Planning to pickup an used AMP. Have a budget of approx 55k for the speakers for now. Plan to invest more later.

Currently I'm debating between the following setups to stay within the speaker budget:

Option 1: Pair of Elac B6's + Elac C5 + Used Surrounds (10k)+ No Sub

Option 2: Pair of F5's + Skip the center for now+ Old speakers from microHifi(6Ohms & 25 W) as rear surrounds + No Sub

Option 3: Pair of Elac B6's + Elac C5 + Old speakers from microHifi(6Ohms & 25 W) as rear surrounds + Used Sub(10k)

Option 4: Pair of Elac B6's + Elac C5 + Old speakers from microHifi(6Ohms & 25 W) as rear surrounds + No Sub (Add the 10k saved towards the Amp budget)

The hall tv area is a 12*12 (elongates to 12*24 incl dining and kitchen). I auditioned the KEFs, tannoys and a bunch of others - either they killed the Melodies and screwed the metal tracks or left me underwhelmed. Will go back to audition the ELACs when they're back in stock.

Any Thoughts?

Yours Truly,
Thoroughly Confused

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Buying speakers for metal is very difficult (as i found out recently). The B6 is also not very good at that(IMO).

Also option 2 is a no no for movies, you need that center channel.

Another thing is do you plan on getting a stereo amp or a av reciever? For metal and Rock i would suggest you set up a dedicated stereo setup (if music is your priority). then later on hen you can do get an av reciever and add the other speakers for movies.

It is better to stick to option 1 if movies are equally important to you else option 3 as you can enjoy music to the core.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Re: Budget AVR Setup for Metal, Rock, Melodies & Movies (in that order)

Buying speakers for metal is very difficult (as i found out recently). The B6 is also not very good at that(IMO).

Also option 2 is a no no for movies, you need that center channel.

Another thing is do you plan on getting a stereo amp or a av reciever? For metal and Rock i would suggest you set up a dedicated stereo setup (if music is your priority). then later on hen you can do get an av reciever and add the other speakers for movies.
What did you end up buying for metal? My shortlist of ELAC is based on reviews I read online The challenge is that I listen to a wide range of music, so not that many speakers in my budget capable of handling Metal as well as Ghazals.

Open to other recommendations. Only looking at an AVR based setup at the moment. Thanks.

Last edited:

What did you end up buying for metal? My shortlist of ELAC is based on reviews I read online The challenge is that I listen to a wide range of music, so not that many speakers in my budget capable of handling Metal as well as Ghazals.

Open to other recommendations. Only looking at an AVR based setup at the moment. Thanks.
I got myself a pair of Q acoustic concept 20. From my listening all Q speakers did a pretty decent job with metal music. Also Some Dali and Mission speakers were good as well. You should take a look at Mission Lx2, pretty good pair in my opinion.

Also you have to prioritize which kind of music you want to listen to the most. Or go the way like a lot of people here do - have two speaker setups [emoji16]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I auditioned the Elac B6's, F5's and a bunch of other speakers. Ended up going with B6's and Option 3.

I auditioned the Elac B6's, F5's and a bunch of other speakers. Ended up going with B6's and Option 3.

Been listening for a couple of days, totally worth the moolah! Scrambling to replace my sources with better ones for now. Might add a sub soon.

Need to budget more now to insulate the other rooms from the hall. Side effect of the B6 [emoji16]

Thanks to all the folks who responded and PM'ed with helpful suggestions!

Last edited:
Hi,
Just hunting for a good receiver, spotted this on quikr. Why would someone sell at 2000$ receiver for ?40,000? What does the ULE mean? Screenshot below. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
2dcb1e4ccce06b1f863753125003096b.jpg

Going by your order of preference should you not be going with a stereo amplifier? It will serve you a lot better than an AVR for music.

Hi,
Just hunting for a good receiver, spotted this on quikr. Why would someone sell at 2000$ receiver for ?40,000? What does the ULE mean? Screenshot below. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
2dcb1e4ccce06b1f863753125003096b.jpg

Mostly Its a scam, check out and update. Don't transfer money without the Device in your hands and working as expected...

Going by your order of preference should you not be going with a stereo amplifier? It will serve you a lot better than an AVR for music.
This is currently planned for the Hall. AVR would serve me, the missus and our friends. Would love to have a budget for a separate listening room and a dedicated stereo setup someday. :)

Please don't trust these kind of Quickr ads...they are targeting weak peoples and don't transfer money to their account. Ask them for COD.. they will run away..

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Hello, i am also looking for budget avr my budget it around 25k i searched online got yamaha htr 3067 and pioneer vsx 531 is near my budget please suggest which one is better?

1. sound quality?
2. amplifier?
3. reliability?

This is currently planned for the Hall. AVR would serve me, the missus and our friends. Would love to have a budget for a separate listening room and a dedicated stereo setup someday. :)

A change in living situation means I'm no longer looking for an AVR, but looking at Stereo Amp now. Looking for something that can drive the Elac B6's with good clarity at relatively low volumes. Needs to have a sub out too. Open for suggestions. Thanks.

As a heavy metal listener myself, I don't believe there is any particular receiver that will favor the genre. Almost anything will work from the perspective of a brand. What you do need is quality power and this is missing from mainstream receivers. A genuine 50 watt per channel receiver will cost you north of 40k. If its a receiver, Denon or Marantz is the safest bet. I've used a Pioneer. Sounds great but lacks grunt.

As for the speaker, the Elac's should do the job. Have not heard too many Tannoy's so won't comment. KEF won't work. I recommend Polk Audio and JBL. Not their high end stuff. The Polk Tsx and pricier Rti series sound great. I've spent a good bit of time with the latter and they are really good.

lapstre
since the main use of the setup is for music, youre better off going with a stereo setup rather than an avr. you will get much better SQ. just a good integrated amp with a pair of floorstanders. whats your budget

For metal I suggest to go for very warm signature speakers. I do remember when auditioned for speakers that in the same series of speakers, some of them are bit brighter than others. I felt Wharf's 9.1 is brighter than 9.2 and 10.2 is still. So audition carefully. In my opinion the order of the amps with respect to brightness.
Yamaha amp>Marantz>Denon.
Yeah! It is quite debatable. But this is my experience.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back