Budget AVR/Stereo Receiver mainly for music

Simar

Hi Everyone,
Please suggest me budget AVR/Stereo receiver and bookshelf speakers for 70% music and 30% movies.

Budget for AVR - $300 (Will stereo receiver be a better option than AVR? As I will be using the system mainly for music, will not be adding surround speakers in the near future for movies. Suggest which option will be better of both.)
Budget for Bookshelf Speakers - $150

Options that I found for AVR - Yamaha RX-V485, Denon AVR-S740H, please suggest any other option.
Options that I found for Bookshelf Speakers - Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, Micca MB42X, Sony SSCS5. Can increase the budget for speakers in case I find better VFM.

Do I need to add Subwoofer? Will there be a real need of that? If yes, I looked into Polk Audio PSW10.

Please help me with this.

Thanks,
Simar

Hi Simar,
There are many Integrated amps/AVRs with excellent condition available with in your budget under classified/sales subject line in this forum.
Please check.

If its primarily for music, please get an integrated amp with good speakers and you will realize the difference between an AVR.

If your usage is primarily music and occasional TV sound, don't go the AVR route.
Get an IA+Speakers or go even simpler and pick an active speaker system to meet your budget.
Cheers,
Raghu

As correctly suggested above, a receiver from any segment is a no no for stereo. A smoke stereo amp even a segment lower will perform better.

MaSh

Thank you for suggestions. So a 2 channel integrated amp is also different from the stereo receiver?

Any suggestions for the IA, speakers in the price range. I am based in USA, so will be getting everything here.

Simar

As far as I know, the term stereo receiver was used for IA + tuner.
Before FMs can suggest brands:
- how big is your listening space
- what is your primary source for music
- are you flexible with budget
- do you have the time to audition in USA

Cheers,
Raghu

Listening space - 14ft * 12ft
Primary Source will be aux and optical if it is there. Can live without optical. Airplay or bluetooth will be a plus.

I am flexible with budget. And it will be difficult for me to audition the options before getting them.

Checkout the options on Crutchfield.

It is always wise to hear out speakers/amps before buying.
Depending on where you are in the US, you should be able to walk into a store and get a sense of what may work.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you are fine with used stuff, the audiogon website has a lot of embellished speakers at steal prices. If you have higher luggage capacity, you can pick up Omega Speaker for $675 (they are open for offers as well) which retails usually for $1000. These speakers are keepers for life and you wouldnt feel the need for upgrade that easily. Even a cheap digital amplifier like SMSL Q5 Pro ($80 on ebay now) would power them royally (although they deserve single watt tube amps). I saw a Wharfedale 220 for $90 or so (It was selling close to 20K in India).
For your room size,sub might not be absolutely necessary but would add good value.
AVRs are best bought in India as you would need to buy a step down transformer as well. Had you been in Europe, I would have suggested you to buy electronics out there !!!

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I a getting an Integrated Amplifier and Wharfedale diamond 10.2. Thanks a lot, everyone.
Just to inform, people who are sending me private messages to sell amplifiers, I am based in the USA only now, and staying here only.

Thanks,
Simar

Suggestion for amplifier is correct but AVR is not a bad choice. Yamaha AVR gives wireless networking options that is more convenient than amplifier.

Those in doubt are most welcome to listen DSD on my setup i.e. Yamaha 683 + Klipsch tower speaker.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back