Budget DVD player

vivekphadnis

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a budget DVD player. I was looking at Sony or Philips. I am not happy with the Samsung player I have now. What brands can I look at?

Thanks,
Vivek

It depends on what features you are looking for and what your budget is. For sheer dependability nothing touches a Pioneer. Prices range from 3-4k upwards. They have modest features like DivX support, upscaling to 1080i and HDMI output.

If you breach the 10k barrier you have players like the Cambridge Audio DVD89 which add SACD, DVD-A support, 1080p upscaling, better CD playback.

Although I do not know where to source specific Pioneer models, the best one on the market in my opinion is the Pioneer DV-600AV. This model truly has everything one can ask for in a DVD player. It is a universal player with 1080p upscaling, front USB input, and decent CD playback.

I am not looking for HDMI outputs and all that. My Denon receiver does not have HDMI input. I just want to go for a simple player at the moment. I will go for a better one later. Right now, I am building subs and an amplifier for LFE. So that is the priority now.

If I go in for the Pioneer, I suppose it will have to be from the grey market, right?

That is not the case any longer. If you live in Mumbai you can buy Pioneer DVD players at Sumaria. If not, perhaps fellow board members can suggest dealers who sell Pioneer products.

Vivek,

Recently, LG launched a DVD player. I bought it couple of months before. It supports all the formats, with normal and HDMI(1080i) outputs, 5.1 channel. It also has USB+ facility, so u can play your pen drive too.

The model no. is DN192. It costed me 4500/-. I am sure the prices would have come down by now.

I compared it with all the players very minutely. This was playing everything, although other players had some difficulties in playing some of the pen drives, cds or dvds.

I am not a very big fan of LG, but this looked best in the basket, so went ahead. Now, after using it for 2 months, feels did a good choice.

Shawn:)

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a budget DVD player. I was looking at Sony or Philips. I am not happy with the Samsung player I have now. What brands can I look at?

Thanks,
Vivek

Last edited:
Vivek I wd suggest u go with Pioneer DV 400. It has all required featutures including HDMI & even though ur DENON amp does'nt have HDMI, it can directly be connected to a TV with HDMI. Grey mkt price in Mumbai is between Rs 4650 - 4800. Good player - just bought one last week.

I bought a Philips DVP5986K. It has HDMI also. Good value for money. MRP is Rs 5500 but the dealer gave it to me for Rs 4700. I use the coaxial out and connect it to my receiver.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back