budget of around 40K need advice

Mumbai Scottish

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice.

I live in Mumbai.

I have a very large lounge which is split into two levels. I want an amp and some speakers primarily for music but could also think about using for tv and movies. One day I'd like to buy a projector and create my own cinema.

I will only be in mumbai for another couple of years so id like something that would travel well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice.

I live in Mumbai.

I have a very large lounge which is split into two levels. I want an amp and some speakers primarily for music but could also think about using for tv and movies. One day I'd like to buy a projector and create my own cinema.

I will only be in mumbai for another couple of years so id like something that would travel well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

a good budget receiver would set you back by 40k at least buddy - onkyo 606 and denon 1909 cost around 40k each.

Go for the Onkyo HT 3105 - around 40k - good value for money. (ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA)

And whether you invest 40k or 150k on a HT system - if you get good packers and movers and insurance you have nothing to worry about. I am temporarily based out of Pune - i invested in a Panny plasma 42 , an Onkyo 606 AV receiver + 5.1 speaker system in the last 3 weeks. And I am planning to get a piar of Polk or Jamo or Mordaun Short 906 for around 27k. Plus a TVIX 6500A for 26k by April and I should travel out of Pune by end of this year.

Buddy just reclaim your life - get the HT 3105.

Couple of points.

First portability. Only a few items are truly portable - such as a 2-in-1 or one of those all-in-one integrated systems such as Arcam Solo (Find out more about the FMJ and Solo product ranges). With a product such as the Arcam solo, when you move, you can dispose off the speaker here in Mumbai, and get a new pair of speakers wherever you go.

Unfortunately products such as the Arcam Solo will be out of your budget. With reasonable speakers, your total cost will touch near 75K.

Now the second point. When you say 'primarily for music but could also think about using TV and movies', there is a ocean of difference here and I hope you understand. Music, in the strictest sense, is a two channel affair. For watching movies you need a 5.1 system, meaning you need a multi channel amplifier. You can use a multichannel amp for music and a two channel amp for movies.

At 40K, if you try to mix the two, you are making compromises.

For example if you take something like the CA 340A/340C pair, you will get excellent music, and you can watch movies in two channels. If you buy a good HTIB such as Onkyo or Philips, you will get reasonable movies, and just bearable music.

Which one are you ready to compromise on?

Cheers

Since its primarily music, I would suggest invest in a good floor standers and an amplifier and get 2 channel setup done. Once you have a better budget add the surround components.

The Onkyo 3100/3105 cost around 20K. The 5105 around 30K and 5100 I think around 40K. If you can then go with the higher end 5105 or 5100, way ahead of anything else that's found at the entry level.

Thanks buddy for correcting me.........i guess the 3105 is pretty cheap.

Thanks buddy for correcting me.........i guess the 3105 is pretty cheap.

Hmmm. 20K is a big deal for quite a few, especially to spend on entertainment. I would say its VFM as a unit, plays well on movies, not too good with music though.

Hmmm. 20K is a big deal for quite a few, especially to spend on entertainment. I would say its VFM as a unit, plays well on movies, not too good with music though.

I am extremely sorry to have put it that way - 20k is a big investment no doubt. :sad:But i guess if you like your stuff - 20k is just the beginning.

Additionally always have a budget and never move beyond +- 10% of that.

I am extremely sorry to have put it that way - 20k is a big investment no doubt. :sad:But i guess if you like your stuff - 20k is just the beginning.

Additionally always have a budget and never move beyond +- 10% of that.

Wish I could be as disciplined as you. When it comes to electronic gadgets and gizmos I am as impulsive as my wife in a jewelry/sari store. Do agree with you, 20K is peanuts to an audiophile. In fact there is no end to their spending, it just goes on and on, a never ending cycle.

Couple of points.

First portability. Only a few items are truly portable - such as a 2-in-1 or one of those all-in-one integrated systems such as Arcam Solo (Find out more about the FMJ and Solo product ranges). With a product such as the Arcam solo, when you move, you can dispose off the speaker here in Mumbai, and get a new pair of speakers wherever you go.

Unfortunately products such as the Arcam Solo will be out of your budget. With reasonable speakers, your total cost will touch near 75K.

Now the second point. When you say 'primarily for music but could also think about using TV and movies', there is a ocean of difference here and I hope you understand. Music, in the strictest sense, is a two channel affair. For watching movies you need a 5.1 system, meaning you need a multi channel amplifier. You can use a multichannel amp for music and a two channel amp for movies.

For example if you take something like the CA 340A/340C pair, you will get excellent music, and you can watch movies in two channels. If you buy a good HTIB such as Onkyo or Philips, you will get reasonable movies, and just bearable music.

Cheers

Yeah I am in the same situation. I have bought an onkyo 506 though i listen to music more. For the time being have to use it with a pair of floorstanders for music and also for movies. Until I get a good stereo amp.

Couple of points.

Cheers

Here Comes the Gurus Advice...........................:).

If you need something that sounds great, will last forever and which can be upgraded over the years, you could take a look at the Genelec active 8020 + 7050 loudspeaker system. Ofcourse, you will have to stretch that budget quite a bit more for these, but the upgrade path does not get any simpler. None of what you buy for your stereo setup will go obsolete and when you want to build a 5.1 surround setup, you just have to add stuff to it. This is a huge saving and certainly worth the money and you can easily transport it to anywhere you plan to go. You can check out the weblinks
Genelec Oy - Genelec 8020B
Genelec Oy - Genelec 7050B
You could get a demo in Bombay at Pandam in Mahim
Genelec Oy - Distributors
Genelec is a company based in Finland and provides loudspeaker monitoring systems to most of the recording studios worldwide. Their products are superbly built and last forever. Spares and service are still available for their speakers manufactured almost three decades ago

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back