Budget solution for playing Audio CDs

amitksvs

Hi everyone, I am looking for a VFM solution to playback Audio CDs and hook up this player with my Denon AVR X1200, as I plan to use the DAC of my AVR itself, I am not looking for player which has to have a good DAC too. Here I am presuming that Denon 1200 DAC is decent.
Can you please suggest me a CD player/Transport with optical out ( again I am presuming that this setup would serve me best).
Thanks.

U will be hardly noticing a sound Quality difference between a new blur ray player and a CD player while used as a transport. If any it would be loudness differences which many translate it as better or worse. That's what I experienced from testing a philips DVD player and a amarantz CD 63 se. Just loudness difference on levels matching I could never say what was the source. My system is not resolving can be an argument. But I am talking about a similar setup like yours, with a marantz sr 8500 avr. I don't know if a better dac can pick up the differences better. In fact playing mp3 from my tv and the DVD player on to slink also does not do any difference in my setup.

Hello, I own the Cambridge Audio CXC that has served me well for about 2 years. Just saw a review for something called Audiolab 6000 that also seems like a good budget component. Both are available (or should be) in India. Just search the web.

The reliability of a CD player or DVD player is always an issue. So google for that also.

Hello, I own the Cambridge Audio CXC that has served me well for about 2 years. Just saw a review for something called Audiolab 6000 that also seems like a good budget component. Both are available (or should be) in India. Just search the web.

The reliability of a CD player or DVD player is always an issue. So google for that also.

Thanks. I guess Audiolab 6000 is an amp.

The CD transport and the coaxial will determine the timing of the signal which makes a difference to how rhythmic the eventual sound sounds. That’s my experience. Some may think differently.

The CD transport and the coaxial will determine the timing of the signal which makes a difference to how rhythmic the eventual sound sounds. That’s my experience. Some may think differently.
Yes i agree, but i find Allo's digione very clean and transparent. Arguable but literally the best digital transport i have used till date.
It is not a CD transport either but works great,if you have your collection ripped in WAV/FLAC.

Yes i agree, but i find Allo's digione very clean and transparent. Arguable but literally the best digital transport i have used till date.
It is not a CD transport either but works great,if you have your collection ripped in WAV/FLAC.

I have Allo Digione and CA 851C both and I find them equivalent. AlloDigione is very good.

Hi everyone, I am looking for a VFM solution to playback Audio CDs and hook up this player with my Denon AVR X1200, as I plan to use the DAC of my AVR itself, I am not looking for player which has to have a good DAC too. Here I am presuming that Denon 1200 DAC is decent.
Can you please suggest me a CD player/Transport with optical out ( again I am presuming that this setup would serve me best).
Thanks.

What is your current collection? ripped media or CDs that is also going to be an answer to the question. CDP and Digital Media players offer different type of convenience

I have Allo Digione and CA 851C both and I find them equivalent. AlloDigione is very good.

What is your current collection? ripped media or CDs that is also going to be an answer to the question. CDP and Digital Media players offer different type of convenience
I have CDs mostly converted to wave/FLAC.
Apart from this few DSD files .

Allo Digione has better highs especially the upper midrange and also the stage seems to be a bit more wider.
For poor recordings it doesn't go very well though mainly attributed to the quality of the recording itself . For good quality content it is the best budget transport I have used .
Digione is more like what goes in is what comes out right on your face . Clear and transparent .

Using a power bank gives a subtle improvement in low frequencies .

I tend to rip all CDs which I have,it's easier to take quality music to portable devices .

The CD player or a digital transport each has its own pros and cons .

My route has been different though the objective has been similar. In the early days, I had a few CDs (all western stuff) and used to play these on ACD players with pedigree like those from NAD and Marantz. Then with CDs being so expensive, I stopped buying them as I quickly found out that it was not worth it - there were few standards followed and every CD tended to sound different, leading to frustration. After burning my fingers, I simply decided to exit ownership of CD players and stop using CDs altogether. However I did miss all my 80s heavy metal albums and which were readily available as MP3 files. Although this would sound very unaudiophile like, I would wire my PC to my NAD amp and listen to these MP3 files. Then one day when some friends came by with CDs for audition, I connected my Sony DVD player, DVP NS57 P, which is the 2-channel version to my NAD rig and it sounded surprisingly good. We did some comparisons with my brother's Marantz CD63 Mk2 and the difference was not that much. What more, it could play mp3 files burnt on to discs as well. Since then, this humble Sony DVD player is used for ACD running. Though it was quite basic and costed about 2000 bucks new back in the mid 2000s, it never skipped a beat all these years. Great build quality and fantastic performance even with badly scratched CDs which a Marantz could never dream or reading :)

Click here to listen to a recording of it in action.

The chain used is: Sony DVD NS57P -> NAD C160 - > NAD 208 THX -> BPL 700TM

Tone controls - Flat, Volume - 10 O' Clock

At times, even the simplest of solutions can result in very enjoyable results :)

Thanks.
A somewhat cheap solution that may work only for you (and i see am replying pretty late to this)
I see your AVR has a USB input - most external dvd drives available out there support something called "tv link" or similar - essentially if you plug them in to a usb port of a tv or an AVR, they appear as a thumb drive - you will be able to control playback using the AVR and use the AVR DAC

I have a sealed box of a Sony DVD player with USB input, which I can let go.

MaSh

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back