Budget Stereo setup for about 20K

nizarp

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a budget stereo setup including a Stereo Amp and 2 speakers (Floor Standers or Book Shelfs). My budget is about 20K.

I am not planning to buy any CD Players for now. My Source will be my PC, I will be playing 320Kbps MP3s. Mostly I listen to Metallica, GNR, Pink Floyd, Beatles etc... My room size is 13 x 15 feets.

I have searched in lot of posts and found that Norge 2060 + Wharf 9.2 will be a good combo(Thanks to Members). Can anybody tell me how much it will cost and where can I get them in Bangalore. Also suggest me if there is any other better options which falls under my budget ;).

Also I will be buying a subwoofer in future, So will I be able to connect that to this setup ?

One more doubt I have is, since my source being the MP3s from the PC, does the setup perform well ? Or Is it necessary to purchase a separate CDP or a DAC to get the best out of the setup.

I expect all of your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance...

You say that your budget is limited to 20 k. 9.2 costs you around 15000/- and 2060 costs around 7000/- at Bangalore. If you plan for 9.2 go for Norge 1000 and if you want to stick to your budget go for 9.1 with 2060 .
Please note there is no provision for pre out for a subwoofer and for that matter
sterio AMP s in general does not have this provision.

Regards

You say that your budget is limited to 20 k. 9.2 costs you around 15000/- and 2060 costs around 7000/- at Bangalore. If you plan for 9.2 go for Norge 1000 and if you want to stick to your budget go for 9.1 with 2060 .

Thanks for the information.

I thought the price of 9.2 is around 13k-14k. Do you have any idea how much 9.1 will cost ?

Please note there is no provision for pre out for a subwoofer and for that matter
sterio AMP s in general does not have this provision.

So I will sacrifice the Subwoofer :sad:

Thanks for the information.

I thought the price of 9.2 is around 13k-14k. Do you have any idea how much 9.1 will cost ?

So I will sacrifice the Subwoofer :sad:

Hi Nizarp,

1. In case you are strictly limited to 20K, substitute WD 9.2 with Norge Millenium (12k approx). Haven't heard it personally, but it has recieved good reviews somewhere in this forum (you can search this forum)
2. I suggest you stretch a little and spend WD 9.2 @15k + Norge 2060 @7.5k = 22.5k
3. Don't lose hope reg subwoofer. There are ways to connect Norge 2060 to a subwoofer. This is already discussed in this forum (Search this forum)

Regds,

Hi Nizarp,

1. In case you are strictly limited to 20K, substitute WD 9.2 with Norge Millenium (12k approx). Haven't heard it personally, but it has recieved good reviews somewhere in this forum (you can search this forum)
2. I suggest you stretch a little and spend WD 9.2 @15k + Norge 2060 @7.5k = 22.5k
3. Don't lose hope reg subwoofer. There are ways to connect Norge 2060 to a subwoofer. This is already discussed in this forum (Search this forum)

Regds,

Hi Sphere,

How have u connected your Sub to the norge? by connecting the RCA to the record out?

once u have a good set of speakers there is no need for a sub. I tell u why subs are for surround sound setup like 5.1 etc when u connect a sub to normal stereo u get something unusual ( artificial bass) which is unrealistic. try buying a amp with loudness on off option where u can listen good boosted bass in low volume. Also golden rule = Listen to the setup before u buy. In MG rd VECTOR systems are the dealers for Norge Also they sell other amps. visit, listen to 2 or 3 setups then buy it. Remember no one will listen music in full blast until unless there is a party. Listen in normal vol Tell the sales guy to shutup and try yourself.:cool:

Thanks rajanravi.

I will visit thm this weekend

Hi Sphere,

How have u connected your Sub to the norge? by connecting the RCA to the record out?

Hi techgadgets4379,
The sub is not connected to Norge. It is connected to Onkyo. As mentioned in my earlier post on this topic, if I want to listen to Sub for 2 channel music, I play the Onkyo (in stereo mode) simultaneously with Norge (with Onkyo fronts disconnected). This way I don't get any sound from any spkrs of Onkyo EXCEPT the sub, while the Norge drives the L/R channels thru WD 9.2.

Regds,

I can tell the rates at Vectors Hyderabad - 9.1 costs 11,500/- , Norge 1000 costs 9500/- . Bargain at this rate at your place and go for this combination by stretching a thousand more . Of course cables costs Rs. 700/- at Rs. 50/-Mtr (DAC brand 14 core - available at Vectors)

Regards

I can tell the rates at Vectors Hyderabad - 9.1 costs 11,500/- , Norge 1000 costs 9500/- . Bargain at this rate at your place and go for this combination by stretching a thousand more . Of course cables costs Rs. 700/- at Rs. 50/-Mtr (DAC brand 14 core - available at Vectors)
Regards

Thanks Krishna... I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks Krishna... I will check it out tomorrow.

Hi nizarp,
If budget is pushing you to 9.1 instead of 9.2 @ 14k, then rather chekout Norge Millenium bookshlef (11.5 k approx i think) even if it takes a little longer. It has better bass extension than 9.1, while treble end is as good (as per reviews on this forum and web, I haven't heard them though).

Why spend upto 20k and have deficient low end that even a cheap subwoofer from 10k HTIB can rip apart?

Regds,

Last edited:
Hi,

Di9.2 are good for stereo. I would recommend to go for a higher watt amp if you decide to use the Di9.2. The high watt on the amp will drive the speakers more smoothly and the sound will be roomier. BTW, what speaker stands are you using or going to use????

Check out the prices of Wharfedales from the distributor in Thailand http://www.hifitower.co.th

I got the Di9.2 at 7000THB (about 10000 INR) sometimes in June during the AV fair, used it until Oct and sold it for 6700THB (lot 300THB - didn't like the beech colour). Now I have the 9.3 instead in Cherry biamped to Marantz PM6002.

Regards

the norge combo(amp/millenium spk) should be a good bet,if not the wharf.as you're planning to use ur pc as a source/transport,use a player like foobar and route thru a good soundcard as the output will be far better.the budget you have may get a little askew,but it will be worth the stretch.cheers

Hi Nizarp,

I am planning to buy a stereo setup too and my requirements are similar to yours. I have the same budget constraints.

The last time I went to Vector's on MG road he quoted 8,500+taxes for the 2060. I was just enquiring so did not do any bargaining, also I forgot to ask if it is with a remote control. A remote control is really not needed I feel. (And I hope they sell a cheaper version of 2060 without remote)

The problem with Norge speakers is that there are no dealers selling them in Bangalore and Mr. Bajaj told me that the new millenium would cost 12,000 + 850 for courier charges. (And they are out of stock right now, he said it would take 4 weeks)

I am considering the wharfedales now. 9.2 seems a good buy. When I was there last time I heard the 8.3 floorstanders and I felt they sounded the best. Although, it was not a very thorough audition and I don't have audiophile ears (yet!).

Hope this info helps you in some way, please tell me how your experience in Vectors was today.

Hi nizarp,
If budget is pushing you to 9.1 instead of 9.2 @ 14k, then rather chekout Norge Millenium bookshlef (11.5 k approx i think) even if it takes a little longer. It has better bass extension than 9.1, while treble end is as good (as per reviews on this forum and web, I haven't heard them though).

Why spend upto 20k and have deficient low end that even a cheap subwoofer from 10k HTIB can rip apart?

Regds,

nizarp, I have the norge 2030 and the millenium bs.The bass is good enough for stereo music. I would stongly recommend the Norge 2060 (with remote) + Millennim BS. 2060 and the 1000 are the same amps with different power rating. 60 watts RMS is more than enough for stereo music.

Thanks for the responses.

I have almost finalized with the Norge 1000 Gold. (due to the Power rating and the price :))

Now I am confused between the following options for speakers.

Mordaunt Short Avant 902i
Wharfedale 9.2
Mission M33i
Tannoy Mercury F1

Can you guyz please suggest a speaker that best matches with the Norge 1000.

Thanks for the responses.

I have almost finalized with the Norge 1000 Gold. (due to the Power rating and the price :))

Now I am confused between the following options for speakers.

Mordaunt Short Avant 902i
Wharfedale 9.2
Mission M33i
Tannoy Mercury

Can you guyz please suggest a speaker that best matches with the Norge 1000.

hi,
have you tried pro gears. i am using a powered mixer and using homemade open baffles. i am very happy with the performance. the cost is Rs 7500 for powered mixer and Rs 4000 for speakers.don't go by the 4000 tag for the speakers. the cost is low because they are homemade. they will definitely compete with speakers in 8000 to 15000 range & may be more than that. the speakers are huge as compared to the RMS power but that is needed in open baffles.

i have heard norge 2060,1000 and 2000 mosfet along with norge speakers in their workshop itself(in Mumbai). to me, it sounded very good for indian music (classical and gazals) but somehow, i didn't like it for modern indian film songs like those by Preetam,shankar-ehsan-Loy etc( which tend towards rock music).

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back