Budget streamer+dac recommendations

vineetrad

Looking to buy a budget (50k or less) dac+streamer for a relative who is a bit technologically challenged and just wants a simple to use plug and play unit that can provide good quality sound to his active speakers.

Therefore not looking for Pi based streamers etc. Something more on the lines of a Bluesound node - easy to setup and use. Are there any other good options other than Bluesound?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Try and get a Yamaha WXC-50

Even cheaper option - buy a Mi TV box, and use the audio out / optical out.

Has Spotify Connect, and Chromecast.

Does this box always needs to be connected to a display via HDMI for the audio out to function well or is it independent of HDMI?

Does this box always needs to be connected to a display via HDMI for the audio out to function well or is it independent of HDMI?
Independent of hdmi. Does not need to be connected to a display.

Connect to your TV once, to do setup, and then disconnect and fix to your audio system.

Have setup for a friend. Works perfectly.

Thanks guys.

However, please note these are audiophile quality Genelec 8020 speakers so would prefer a higher quality source/dac than a MiTV. The Yamaha looks interesting. Will check it out.

The Xonar looks to be a sound card...not sure if I'm missing something here but how can it be used without a PC/laptop?

Audiolab 6000N Play.
+1 to this

I had bought Yamaha WXC 50 and I returned it within a day!
Soundstage was very small, lacked the musicality and dynamics. The Raspberry Pi bases on Android I built sounded much much better. Heck even a LG V30 sounded miles better than Yamaha.
I was shocked to be honest.
This also doesn't stream more than CD quality on Tidal.

Just listen to this and then go for the purchase.

Vineet,
Do consider a inexpensive streamer with digital or optical output and a decent DAC within the budget.
I feel even though it’s a two box solution the difference in SQ would be significant and worth it.
Eg: The DNM AS2 is @8200/ shipped from Pune. That leaves 40k for a decent DAC.
Even my Bluesound Node 2i sounds much better with an external DAC.

Looking to buy a budget (50k or less) dac+streamer for a relative who is a bit technologically challenged and just wants a simple to use plug and play unit that can provide good quality sound to his active speakers.

Therefore not looking for Pi based streamers etc. Something more on the lines of a Bluesound node - easy to setup and use. Are there any other good options other than Bluesound?

Thanks!
If you have actives and are happy with the overall sound signature why not try a used CCA or Airport Express which would be less than 10% of your budget and see if you're happy with the output. As a next step you could add a decent entry level dac (tons of options in the 10-20k range). Spending more is always an option though.. :)

If you have actives and are happy with the overall sound signature why not try a used CCA or Airport Express which would be less than 10% of your budget and see if you're happy with the output. As a next step you could add a decent entry level dac (tons of options in the 10-20k range). Spending more is always an option though.. :)
I am using an airport express - airplay directly from iPhone to active speakers through optical out. Have a spare one that I can sell for cheap.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back