Burlap or cloth for acoustic panel

Radni14

I am looking for Burlap or Jute material ( coloured or dyed ) for my acoustic panel making project . Any idea where in India I can get good quality of such material or cloth ?

I am looking for Burlap or Jute material ( coloured or dyed ) for my acoustic panel making project . Any idea where in India I can get good quality of such material or cloth ?

Try the shops who keep thin commercial carpets or the ones who keep thin jute rolls which are used for building construction. Burlap is also referred as hessian cloth.

Regards

Vasu

As vasu said in the previous message, burlap can be found in the whole sale dealers who sell thin carpets.

IN my project I used rockwool covered by 1 layer of sponge(6mm), 1 layer of burlap. Last level is the Fabric.

This way you can limit the particles comming out of the bass traps. Please check my thread started by me which contains all the details.

Thanks
Pandu

Sir, long time no hear. How are your Arcas doing?

One of my panels has conked off and has been sent to Pune.

GeorgeO,
Can you please give some more details of the material / cloth you got ? It will help me to select from local upholstry / curtain shop .

Radni

I posted pics on my HT room in the diy section about 6-7 months ago . Let me search and see if I can find a small sample piece lying around, if yes( give me a couple of days max) I can courier it across. If not let me check if I can during one of my trips into town ask for a sample piece from the same shop.

In a shop dealing in upholstery material , today I saw some nice jute like samples in beautiful colours , affordable too! But these are 100 % polyester , no jute or cotton . They were open type meaning breathable . I do not know if it is ok to use polyester over acoustic panels . Or do I have to go for jute as jute may be any day better than Polyester ?

Last edited:
Will you be using another fabric over the burlap?

Generally it is best to avoid polyster and other artificial fabrics. Go for natural fabrics like jute, cotton etc.

No , I will not be using another fabric over burlap .
I plan to use 13.5 mm thick sheet of material called Silence ( which is made of some compressed synthetic fibers ) and wrap it with burlap or some fabric. Now like you say it is better not to go for Polyester based materials . Thanks

I have used Anutone wood wool boards( I think they are wood wool), with their synth material at the back, and the jute fabric to cover the board for aesthetics.

GeorgeO,
Can you give approx cost of this wood wool from Anutone (Rs/sq.Ft or Rs/SqMt ) ? I wish to cover my entire ceiling area , so asking. Thanks

I dont remember the exact price I paid, I think it was around 8K or so for 7 panels + plenty of synth. I suggest you check their website out and call their Bangalore office for info.They are good people to deal with, and are our sponsors for our Bangalore meets.

The panels can be cut to smaller sizes if you need. I made an MDF frame( I think about 50-75mm) that was thicker than the panel( maybe around 25mm, and in the rear of the panel I stuck the synth, into the recess. My panels are 4 X 2 ft.

I dont remember the exact price I paid, I think it was around 8K or so for 7 panels + plenty of synth. I suggest you check their website out and call their Bangalore office for info.They are good people to deal with, and are our sponsors for our Bangalore meets.

I sure will call them tomorrow . I have a feeling I am close to the solution. Thanks .

I think polyester acoustic panels These are the best. are environmentally friendly sound absorption board, made of 100% pure polyester fiber. They have more advantage than the traditional mostly used sound control panel glass wool and they can be used as polyester wall panels and polyester ceiling panels.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back