Burn-in Factor

sonosphere

Hi,
Its amusing to know that no other field has the burn-in factor associated to almost all components in the chain compared to audio. For e.g
1. CDP burn-in (?? yes I've read someone talking abt it)
2. Amp burn-in (heard quite frequently)
3. Speaker burn-in (This is almost a norm... almost everybody claims to have observed it)
4. Cable burn-in (?? yes I've read someone talking abt it)
5. Power-cable burn-in :)eek: yes I've read someone talking abt it)
6. Toroidal transformer burn-in (??... rare, but some guys have claimed improvements)

I believe majority of audiophiles have never gotten around to actually measure the effect of burn-in thru an instrument except their ears(Before /After analysis).

Many among us are well aware that what is intolerable-distortion to one is "musical"-distortion to other. So is that "burn-in improvement" you observed, a result of your gear generating additional harmonics due to age-related performance-degradation or has it gained skills to handle multiple harmonics at one go now, due to practice recieved during burn-in hours??? :eek:hyeah:

So what is point of all blah-blah above... Basically I would like all of you guys to share whether you considered "future burn-in improvements" as factor when you bought your audio gear (amp /spkr /cable etc.) A discussion on this can serve as guidance for new buyers.

Here is my approach to Burn-in...
1. Buy the gear based on the result you hear during audition. Don't count on future improvements. If it does improve... that's free bonus for you.

So now I look forward to comments from others...:)

Regds,

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back