Burning Audio CDs

Record Player

I have a large collection of MP3 music on me hard drive. I would like to have them up on CDs and play them on my Sony CDP as some of these albums are very rare.

I need some advise on the following:

1. I understand that converting them to .wav would be the best option. - Any suggestions on this as I am looking at best quality possible.

2. Which effective converter and burn tool do you suggest for Windows?

3. CD make? - I am looking at something that will last and not loose quality in time.

Looking forward to your suggestions...

Cheers...

Hi RP,

Not to be against your ideas, but your files are MP3 which have already lost a lot of information during the conversion from audio CD to MP3

Converting them back will not give you the original quality that you expect it would have. Ofcourse, you can still convert them to CD and play them on the player, but you cannot expect the original track quality is what i wanted to say.

Cheers

Last edited:
1. I understand that converting them to .wav would be the best option. - Any suggestions on this as I am looking at best quality possible.

If your intention is to burn the songs as audio CD format so that it is playable on a player that recognises and plays only audio CDs, then:

1) convert the mp3 files into .wav format. I use MediaCoder. This process of converting from lossy to lossless will not in any way improve the sound quality, it will only change the file from one format to another format. mp3 is an irreversible lossy format. One can't get back completely what has been lost to compression. But you need to go through this step because songs to be burned to Audio CD needs to be in the native Microsoft .wav format.

2) Use a burning program to burn the songs into audio CD. I am partial to Nero, but one can burn with Burnn, or even EAC. Choose slow to mid burning speed. The chances of error while writing is reduced if writing speed is reduced. If you can get them, I strongly prefer TDK CD-R blanks. Otherwise the gold coloured Moser-Baer discs are good too.

Thanks guys. I know the mp3 to wav conversion will not enhance any quality, however only playable on my CDP.

This said, in my large collection, I do have FLAC and few other formats as well and I can atleast have them on CD which will sound way better than and an mp3 file.

record player..putting them into CDs is a real pain..since you convert them to wav, they increase in size and you can still put in only those 10-15 songs per cd. and then the process of burning to a CD and figuring out which CD to put in.
from a convenience perspective you are better of with the entry level ipod Nano + cable (3mm to RCA) to connect to your amp ..of course that does mean putting in that money for one though. i think the 16GB is around 12K (Nano's SQ is supposedly lower than other ipods..but i guess we are talking about 128-196 kbps rips)

If you are ok with itunes, Another option is to get the airport express (6K) and connect that to you int amp with a special cable and stream your music to the amp

i am not conversant with other MP3 players hence did not suggest..but any of them might be a better way
for Flacs..just put them into a CD (Or convert them to 320kbps mp3s which are also pretty good)

@record player: isn't your Sony CD player playing MP3 written on a CD as 'files' (not Audio tracks)? This way a single CD can contain 100s of files, but if not then you have to drop 10-12 MP3 files on 'Nero Burning Rome' or 'BurnAtOnece' Audio CD maker to cut the Audio CD.

What I would do in this case is to get a new/used CD player that CAN play mp3 FILES from the CD, though it costs me 3-4k but wold save a lot of time.

IMHO the time spent doing what you propose (burning MP3 to ACD) is not worth it for reasons already discussed here (lack of quality, time spent burning them, writing track names on a sheet and size limitations).

I would rather spend some time and efforts looking for FLAC files of my favourite MP3s to burn CDs or try to find audio CDs of those albums. Until then, I suggest to use some good MP3 player /Ipod / Iphone / PC and enjoy the mp3s without bothering much about CDP.

record player..putting them into CDs is a real pain..since you convert them to wav, they increase in size and you can still put in only those 10-15 songs per cd. and then the process of burning to a CD and figuring out which CD to put in.
It is a real pain indeed, and one is back to the around-70-minute capacity of the CD. But ...many CD players now have the ability to read MP3 files and even other formats. Even my car player reads MP3s, and playing in the car is about the only reason that I have burnt music to CDs for quite a long time now.

As to longevity of the result, they last as long as they last. I have home-burnt CDs that are many years old, while others (usually car copies: maybe it is the environment) sometimes last only a few weeks. I don't think that they can be as robust as pressed CDs.

Burning software... avoid the big packages, and certainly never pay for anything like this :cool: ! CDBurnerXP was my favourite, back in my Windows days.

Gents - Thank you for all your suggestions. All makes sense.

I use an Onida DVD Player for my 2nd Audio Setup at home i.e. can play mp3 files.

For my primary setup, I use a Sony CDP I think from the 1980s or 1990s. This is a pretty good CDP, howere does not play mp3 files.

Last edited:
Gents - Thank you for all your suggestions. All makes sense.
PHP:

I use an Onida DVD Player for my 2nd Audio Setup at home i.e. can play mp3 files.

For my primary setup, I use a Sony CDP I think from the 1980s or 1990s. This is a pretty good CDP, howere does not play mp3 files.

Record player, just noticed you have an Apple TV. can that not be used for streaming from PC to int amp ?

Last edited:
Yes I can arj. I use the iTunes and Apple TV for movies on my HT system (Denon 5.1 AVR). Now the CDP is connected to my 2ch NAD Stereo Amp i.e. cannot connect Apple TV and the NAD.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back