Buy music online in India

swami

Hi. Let me first admit that I am not a frequent online buyer. But I have been into situations when I could that I was looking for. Like, the BOYS 5.1 dts cd which I purchased online from landmarkonthenet. They shipped a 5.1 movie dvd first and later sent the cd too without collecting back the dvd. Good for me but it speaks aout their quality control. Nevertheless, this week I ordered Nelly Furtado LOOSE (imported version, I specifically selected the original label), yet to receive it and will update you on that later. Anyways, I did check out some other sites viz. ebay.in, indiatimes and the likes. Alas, the coverage of artists and titles is very limited. I kow, rhythmhouse is a favourite with many people here and I agree they have a remarkable collection. However, when it came to buying a specific album, they didn't have any mention of it on their site. I was, and still am, looking for Katie Melua PIECE BY PIECE. Forget the album, no Indian site recognizes the artist.

Friends, please point me to the one-stop online shop that is good in service and quality and has a comprehensive catalogue.

Why only Indian (someone may ask)? Well, local site may give cheap, fast, free shipmemt. Moreover, I have never shopped online internationally. So, I am inhibited in taking the plunge. Please help me with some advice if international shopping is the only way to go.

SENT FROM MOBILE DEVICE

Flipkart are pretty good for CDs also.

That's were I got my Pink Floyd TDSOTM SACD from. :) My friend had ordered it for me and they did not have it in stock, so they called up asking if they could send me the CD. I told them that it would be easier for them to cancel my order as I had specifically asked for the SACD, not the CD. The next day, they called me up and told me that they had located my SACD and asked if they could send it. I said yes. And voila - Pink Floyd's TDSOTM for Rs 373/- only! :D

Swami, talk to Mr. Amir of Rhythm House. He'll get the CD for you. He managed to get a few CDs for a friend of mine that were quite difficult to get.

Swami, talk to Mr. Amir of Rhythm House. He'll get the CD for you. He managed to get a few CDs for a friend of mine that were quite difficult to get.

Thanks for details. So, it seems, rhythmhouse is the place to go to!

Moving on, can someone "enlighten" me with how to shop online from international sites like amazon explaining the pre-requisites, pros, cons, comments please?

Hi Swami,
I don't know much about buying online from Indian sites but I have been buying from international sites for about eight years and have never had a misplaced package. I have bought CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. I usually shop at Amazon US or Amazon UK, Barnes and Noble and Second Spin, an excellent site for used discs.
Barnes and Noble is the worst of the lot -- delayed deliveries, very poor customer relations service.
Amazon UK is the best, even with standard airmail have received DVDs and Blu-rays within a week (sometimes even 3-4 days). Amazon US takes longer. On one occasion, when my Lord of the Rings extended version DVD did not arrive within the expected timeframe, I alerted Amazon US and they sent me a free second copy. (Another matter that Indian Post delivered my order after the second copy had already arrived).
But the best of the lot is secondspin.com, don't be put off by the fact that they sell used discs. On occasions, I have received discs from them that hadn't even been opened and had all their seals intact. Even their used discs go through great quality control and have almost no scratches.
While on the subject of Second Spin, i once bought The Who Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD and for some reason the disc wouldn't play on my player. I alerted them and though their rules state a defective disc is supposed to sent back to them, they said I didn't need to do so and sent me a replacement for free.
Also, if you're buying DVDs and Blu-rays from abroad, you will have to have a region-free player in order to avoid hassles. Plus, the usual precautions while using your credit card online (like not using a public PC). Hope this helps.

Since some folks found my earlier post of some use, here are a few more tips about buying discs from international websites.
a) Check the site's shipping rates. Often a site will offer great discounts on CDs/DVDs but their shipping rates to India will be very very high.
b) Make a wish list of discs you want on Amazon and keep checking the prices from time to time. I was able to get some great bargains in this way. I was able to get The Godfather collection on Blu-ray (four discs) from Amazon UK for just 15.30 pounds and the Dirty Harry Collection on Blu-ray (five discs) for just 14.46 pounds after discounts.
c) Be wary of sites that offer to split your orders and despatch them separately. You will incur higher shipping costs. If there is an option, state that you want the items to be sent in one shipment. (Barnes and Noble split one of my orders without waiting for authorisation from me and the shipping costs went very high.)
Cheers

Since some folks found my earlier post of some use, here are a few more tips about buying discs from international websites.
a) Check the site's shipping rates. Often a site will offer great discounts on CDs/DVDs but their shipping rates to India will be very very high.
b) Make a wish list of discs you want on Amazon and keep checking the prices from time to time. I was able to get some great bargains in this way. I was able to get The Godfather collection on Blu-ray (four discs) from Amazon UK for just 15.30 pounds and the Dirty Harry Collection on Blu-ray (five discs) for just 14.46 pounds after discounts.
c) Be wary of sites that offer to split your orders and despatch them separately. You will incur higher shipping costs. If there is an option, state that you want the items to be sent in one shipment. (Barnes and Noble split one of my orders without waiting for authorisation from me and the shipping costs went very high.)
Cheers

Was there any customs duty on it? If so how much? Is it separate for DVD discs, BR discs etc.

I find it difficult to find albums of some artists like Eva Cassidy, Katie Melua, Sarah Blasko etc. Normally I send my wishlists to my friends in USA/UK and they carry the same when they travel. Otherwise landmark (store and online) has decent collection and their service is very good.period.

Hi all,

Came across this ad, thought will be useful,

Quote :

Old Hindi Classics: Gramophone records for sale- Ahmedabad (Over 30 titles) Ahmedabad

Date Posted: December 2
I have the following Hindi records that I wish to sell. I have some more titles too. If you wish to buy any, send me an e-mail on [email protected]

You will HAVE to buy them in Ahmedabad, because I cannot travel to sell them. And I will only accept cash. The titles are:

1. Assorted great Hindi singers of all time

2. Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam

3. Hits of Kishore Kumar

4. Teesri Kasam

5. Amar Prem

6. Patita

7. Khayyam

8. Do Badan

9. Satyam Shivam Sundaram

10. Saraswati Chandra

11. Kashmir ki Kali

12. Dooriyan

13. Jis Desh Me Ganga Behti Hai

14. Des Pardes

15. Noor Jahan

16. Talat Mahmood

17. Umrao Jaan

18. Andaz

19. Safar

20. Guide

21. Khazana: A treasure of Ghazals

22. Teesri Manzil

23. An evening with Mohd. Rafi

24. K.L. Saigal (Volume 2)

25. K.L.Saigal (Volume 3)

26. Pyaasa

27. Hemant Kumar

28. Bazaar

29. Jagjit Singh and Chitra Singh

30. The Best of Mukesh

31. Love in Tokyo

32. Kalyanji Anandji present Mukesh

33. Mukesh: Memories

34. Waqt

35. Jawani Diwani

36. Mera Naam Joker

37. Pakeezah

unquote :

N.Murali

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back