Buy Super Audio CDs

indy70

Hi Guys, I have a curious question on Super Audio CDs. Well, Where do I buy them here in India/Chennai. I saw Amazon.in and everything is 1000 and above. Is that the normal cost or imported cost ?

I have a Pioneer BDP 450 and want to test and play SACDs (either Stereo or Surround).

Any help is appreciated guys, Thank you !

I've tested more than 5 cd's...Audio quality is superb. But only problem in India is it's price, too high, bcoz all listed cd's may be imported items.

I do have a bunch of (Rock/Pop) SACDs all acquired outside India. The mastering and channel separation is very good on most, not great on some.

Even abroad they were.much more expensive, so definitely in India they.will be.

However, if one gets used to streamed FLAC, the convenience aspect of streaming may end up having more value than a physical SACD.

SACD and DVD-A are both good HD format which never picked up.......its still the normal CDs thats dominating the market.....

Normal price of SACD are higher compared to ACD of the same title. The price you had quoted seem to be very reasonable, infact I feel much lesser compared to prices outside India. To get an ideal about SACD prices in US check site like Elusive Disc - Hardware, Accessories, SACDs, Vinyl LPs, DVD-As and MORE! Call us (800)-782-3472. Also the price varies depending on the artist / title. Another place to get SACD at reasonable rate is SecondSpin - Buy and sell used CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray and Games. (they sell used CDs).

My SACD Picks limited to popular music. A lot more in western classical, but not a genre I'm very familiar with.

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
2. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
3. Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
4. Michael Jackson - Thriller (Don't own but a friend has it and its the best Thriller album I've heard)
5. Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live (Don't have, but amazing quality. I've the audio CD and even that's one of the best recordings ever)

All of them sound excellent even on my mid hi-fi setup. I don't have a dedicated SACD player, use an Oppo, but these albums sound excellent and blow everything else away. The dynamic range especially is amazing and unlike anything I've ever heard in any setup.

Forgot to mention, alternative to buy SACD is buy the same in HiRez format from www.hdtracks.com or similar sites. However one need to have the necessary HW to playback HiRez files including DSD.

DVD-A is probably dead. I have not seen any new releases and of course not searched for them. SACD is probably dying too !
Most likely high res files will rule in future.

BUT, there are MANY regular ( Redbook) audio CD's that sound fantastic. Don't underestimate them. Chance is that you might not be able to buy all the really great regular recordings as there would be too many of them ! Read reviews before buying albums. Lots of 70's and 80's albums are also great . search them out on the Net. I bet many friends would have them too.

You could have a great sounding collection without ever touching DVD-A, SACD or high res files !

I get my SACDs froms HMV or CD JAPAN and have already built up a small collection ranging from Pink Floyd to Steely Dan to Dire sTraits to Eagles to RAibow to Diana Krall. Got the Sony Japan issue of Amused to Death SACD too. A lot of them are pure SHM SACD with no redbook CD layer. There was a sale this month at HMV Japan and picked up 6 SACD and 2 rare 1st pressing CDs of Blue Man Group and Massive Attack. But Yes they are all over 2400 Yen plus shipping but worth every penny if you have proper SACD player.

Back