"Buyer Beware (caveat emptor)"

mandeep

"Buyer Beware(or caveat emptor in latin)" ..this a warning that notifies a buyer that the goods he or she is buying are "as is," or subject to all defects.

Last edited:
(3) Things we can ask a dealer/distributer and we dont ask........like price list..like do we check whether if its latest or not....

(4) Whether we are getting a fresh item or a display/used item.......and how to find that.....

Hmm... Nice points to ponder.

Here are my 2 cents.

a) One HiFi dealer in Garuda Mall, Bangalore religiously keeps the Marantz price list dated year 04-05. No matter how many times you tell him the latest discounted prices available around, all he does is smile blank (?!) The sales guys are an extremely reluctant and poorly informed bunch.

b) One of my sub-ordinates was almost fooled into buying a demo piece Denon AVR from a HiFi shop in Barton Center, Bangalore. Luckily for my mate, I was free that weekend and dint have much to do, I accepted his request and tag along. The sales guy Mr. X :rolleyes: was so adamant on telling us that this it is a brand new piece! Anyways that argument didn’t stand for long and the top-boss Mr.Y who knows me personally happens to come there and clear-up all the mess b4 any escalation would have occurred. Not to mention the fat discount offered afterwards!

Of course, these could be very rare/personal incidents and should not be taken up against the aforementioned dealers or products. It all boils down to irresponsible or careless individuals at the end of the day.

So the point I would like to make is, if you are a complete novice to the world of AV/HiFi consider taking someone who is a bit more knowledgeable and has hands-on experience than you when you hop around auditioning or finally making the payment.

Best Regards.

Not sure if this is in the right section, but the thread looks like it is relevant.

A big chain of shops dealing in electronic goods, with hundreds of shops across India had recently put up a sale of Upto 60% off. This sale was on during the Independence Day weekend and it is easy to guess which shop this is. If it is difficult to guess, name consists of 5 letters and starts and ends with an 'e'.

I am in the market for a 50 inch (preferably Full HD) plasma TV. I found a Full HD Panasonic TV for 82k final price while it cost nearly 2 lakhs. I was ready to buy it and when I enquired for finance options, I was told that they would only accept cash or credit card. I was also told that it was the last piece and that it would take them atleast one week to order and received a new piece by which time the offer would be over. I found all this strange and when I asked too many questions, I was told "Dont worry Sir, we are a big group and do not sell bad quality stuff. You will get one year warranty starting today, so why worry? Also, Panasonic personnel will install at your place.". They also had some early bird gift for those who purchased before 1PM, so the saleperson was tempting/distracting me with that. Called my friend for advice and luckily he knew someone working for the shop. Found out that 60% off was on their demo pieces. These demo pieces run atleast 10 hours a day, everyday for a minimum of 3 months. Just backed off from the deal although I was getting a Full HD for the price of a HD.

So members, Caveat Emptor.

Abroad, shops are pretty honest about these things. By default, they inform the customer and also offer discounts on demo pieces and last pieces. Sadly, in India, we haven't reached this level of professionalism :(.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back