Buying a Norge

dotbashrc

Im planning a 2 channel stereo amp setup along with bookshelf speakers for one of my rooms. Primary usage would be to listen to Carnatic/Hindustani Classical & Tamil/Hindi Film Songs. The room size is 14*11.
My budget for both Amp & speakers is <20k. Would be happy to get the expense much below that too. Have been following this forum and seen the +ve feedback on norge.
I require your help in finding which Norge Amp would be a good fit. Are Norge speakers good or should I go for say a Wharfedale 9.2?
From the norge site, I see Norge 2060 (this forum's favorite), Norge 2000 and Norge 1515. I believe the power output is the difference? Suppose I pick Norge Nano speakers, would Norge 1515 suffice for my requirements? Or should I just go the tried and tested option of Norge 2060+Wharfedale 9.2 ?

Lastly Im a Bangalore, Is courier the only option for shipping Norge? Appreciate your inputs.

Hai,

For your budget try NORGE 2060+Millineum BS Speakers, it will just be within your budget and ideal for the room size mentioned. NORGE 2060+WH 9.2 may cost you 22K, which is a slightly better combo you can go in case you can spare a few K more. Pl audition both before you take a call.

Also allot a couple of K for Interconnects and Speaker cables.

N.Murali

I second that. I am using Norge 2060+wharf Diamond 9.1 combo. Norge BS matches well, especially for your taste of music.

Also, please note that the Norge Amps has spring clip type connectors, and they are not suitable for thick gauge speaker cables.

Rajesh

Hai,

For your budget try NORGE 2060+Millineum BS Speakers, it will just be within your budget and ideal for the room size mentioned. NORGE 2060+WH 9.2 may cost you 22K, which is a slightly better combo you can go in case you can spare a few K more. Pl audition both before you take a call.

Also allot a couple of K for Interconnects and Speaker cables.

N.Murali

Thanks Murali for instant reply. Wondering how to audition Norge amp with either Millenium or WH 9.2, considering norge is not available in shops in blore.
Sorry to sound very ignorant, my knowledge is quite limited in hi fi systems. Where can these interconnects/speaker cables be purchased from?

Norge 2060/1000 with Norge spk forms best budget system.
I heard Jagjit Singhs Gazal & this combo was sounding better than Norge/Tannoy F1 combo.

I second that. I am using Norge 2060+wharf Diamond 9.1 combo. Norge BS matches well, especially for your taste of music.

Also, please note that the Norge Amps has spring clip type connectors, and they are not suitable for thick gauge speaker cables.

Rajesh

Hai Rajesh,

Just to correct you, NORGE 2060 has Screw type connectors , only drawback is that the perforation is small which can be solved by using banana type connectors.

@ dotbashrc : For interconnects Profx @ Rs.1000/- must be fine for Spk Cables any reputed 16 AWG should be good. PM gobble or soundsgreat , as they are from bangalore and should help you in locating the dealers for the above items.

N.Murali.

Hi,

I just entered the hi fi space a few months ago, was using a sony combo unit before. There is nothing better than Norge for entry level listeners like me and you. It is helping me develop my listening skills which the sony had killed :lol:

Buy the Norge 2060 + Millenium BS. I purchased the millienium 2 weeks ago and combined that with a 2030 the music quality is really good. I would recommend the 2060 or 2000 Amp thou. I am saving up for the same.

For interconnects i use Bandridge, got that from Croma and for speaker cables i use Finolex 2.5 sq mm cables :p as suggested by some other experienced members in the forum.

Last edited:
I had bought the 2060 amp. and New mellinium speakers from eastern electronics via post. The combo is excellent value for money and sound is very clear and as good as any other combination in the budget mentioned by you could be. The only issues i felt while buying were, It took long time for the delivery to take place I had ordered on 06th November and received the courier on 28th. Reason I live in Shimla and courier company does not have deliveries in this region. So if buying a Norge check up the courier company. It is advisable to have to pay bill (for courier)then giving the money in advance. secondly I bought the amp with remote and it is realy a useless addition. Please also note that speaker size mentioned in the site is different from the size which i got as they are the newer version (mark2). If you want any other details please feel free.:)
Happy listening

If you want to use wharfedale 10.2 / 10.1 with Norge Amp you should go for Norge 1000 . This combination costs you around 28000/- with cables. Other Norge Amps are definitely under powered for these speakers . Consider this if you propose to buy Wharfedale 10.2 / 10.1.

Regards

Yes, got the Norge 2060+ Wharfdale there, contact Ram or lokesh in the store and their contact details would be 9341717964.

Thanks. I just enquired at Vectors. They seem to quote Norge 2060 at 8500+ taxes, whereas Shyam Bajaj quotes 7800/- all inclusive.
Could you let me know whats your purchase price of Norge 2060 and Wharfdale at Vectors?

Thanks. I just enquired at Vectors. They seem to quote Norge 2060 at 8500+ taxes, whereas Shyam Bajaj quotes 7800/- all inclusive.
Could you let me know whats your purchase price of Norge 2060 and Wharfdale at Vectors?

I got the combo for 22,600 inclusive of eveything, tell my name (prasad), they shuld give your for the same price.

I had been to Vector systems, Bangalore last Saturday. He quoted a price of 8,500+taxes, I don't think it is a good price if Mr. Bajaj quotes at 7,800 all inclusive.
Did you buy it with a remote control?

Did you audition the Wharfdale 8.3 in the store by any chance?

I had been to Vector systems, Bangalore last Saturday. He quoted a price of 8,500+taxes, I don't think it is a good price if Mr. Bajaj quotes at 7,800 all inclusive.

You can negotiate the price you shuld get it for 7.7k here as well. I did not audition with 8.3 but i did with 9.1/2 and 10.2 and i felt no difference between 9.2 and 10.2 and the pricing difference was abt 4k.

hi, Norge 1000 concerto gold will cost u 10,000/- + 600(courier) If u buy it direct. Mr bajaj is very prompt in transaction ur money is safe. U can deposit a check in their account in any hdfc bank wait for 2 days give a call to mr Bajaj he will confirm and a week after ur Amp will arrive. But buying at bang will have own advantages if there is any problem with the amp dealer will attend promptly. My Experience I paid 10,600/- to Norge in advance through the above procedure. After a week I recieved the amp. But they forgot to pay the courier & I paid it. I informed Mr bajaj and belive me he sent me a check of Rs 600/- within 2 days! I am a happy listener now. Norge 1000 is more powerfull with 125w+125w output.

Yes as other folks said.
If you are unable to get the same price from the dealer, just pay Mr Bajaj directly and get the stuff. One good gentleman there!!!
You may then need to hunt for your wharfi's..
An option if you have not auditioned the norge earlier. Just let Mr Bajaj know the same. He will make arrangements for you to visit his customer (here in bangalore) and you can take the audition at the customer house. (If the customer is willing to give an audition).

I got the combo for 22,600 inclusive of eveything, tell my name (prasad), they shuld give your for the same price.

Thanks Prasad. Im just back Vectors and got a quote of 23k for Wharfe 9.2 with Norge 2060. The splitup being 15k for the Diamond 9.2 and 8k for Norge 2060. I hadnt seen your post before I left :sad:

Auditioned the Norge with Diamond 9.2 and Diamond 9.1. As expected, the low bass is much better on the 9.2. Also the 9.2 gave a better room filling sound experience. Had to decide between 9.2 and 10.2, chose the 9.2 since there isnt much of a difference in sound quality between the two.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back