Buying a Plasma : inputs required

nfsfan

hello all
I've been trapped in the hdtv buying for an eternity now. As of now, it seems i would not be able to enjoy the set after an year or so, coz i would have to move out after i complete my graduation( for job or higher studies).

This changes the viewing equation significantly :

SD viewing : 60-70 %

divx rips/ DVD : 20%

hd : 20 %(depends on whether bollywood or dth goes hd, if yes then this will increase substantially)

the set is going to be used by my parents and all i want to do is provide a no hassles hdtv + htpc/wdtv + HT solution for them, which would require least(no upgradation from their side from now on, as happened with my current sony htib) for at least 10 years.

currently i have :
lg 29" crt which will be moved to my grandfathers room
sony dav dz 120k htib ( has only component video)
tata sky connecion(will get that on 1st april)

i plan to use the htib for some more time, thus collecting the required funds for a new budget HT and htpc(waiting for the hdmi dust to settle, as in my previous post : http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/confused-with-hdmi-132048.html).

so i figured out, that while it was the lcd that would have been best in my case(i wanted to game as well) , a plasma would serve my parents better according to the current DTH scenario.

the plasmas i have shortlisted are, for the 42 inch :
1. panny pv8
2. samsung 410
3. panny pv80

budget is from 40-50k , the lower the better.

Now the comes the part of power consumption. As i see the plasmas do have higher consumption, but i wont be keeping the set at showroom settings, hence not so bright as to draw too much power. Typical usage would be from 4-6 hours a day.

Next the lighting conditions, which i can not gauge as i cant get the set into my home before buying it. So i clicked a couple of pictures of my current setup. As of now the plasma will be replacing the crt, but in the near future there can be a renovation hence enabling wall mounting option as well( will take light conditions into consideration before planning renovation). But now have the set in a corner, and a tube light directly opposite to it. there is door and curtains which are behind, or diagonally adjacent to the set, the curatins are seldom raised, but the door is opened frequently in daytime.

the pics are :
1. of the set w/o flash on
2. of the set with camera flash
3. from the seating position showing the door as well.

there is quite a reflection even in the crt set as seen in the pictures.
Please suggest whether plasma is a viable option here. Keeping After sales service in mind, please suggest an option.

I would like to thank in advance to those who have the patience for reading the post. All panny/samsung plasma owners please do reply as you are the people with first hand knowledge of the sets.

Last edited:
First thing - are you sure you want to make the purchase decision while still in college. Seems like you have a lot of leverage at home but I hope that you are mature enough to realise that this is indeed something you can afford. Nothing against your finances but just a piece of advice from someone who has walked the path you are planning to. (both job and higher studies).

If you are good to buy a TV after this consideration, then I suggest the TVs in the order you ahve listed.

Re: glare, plasma's have anti glare coating that seems to help a fair bit and your home seems reasonable re: the glare levels. More importantly though could you clarify if you will place the HDTV in the same angle or spot as the CRT? I would be led to think that it will be against the wall and this typically reduces the glare somewhat.

hello all
I've been trapped in the hdtv buying for an eternity now. As of now, it seems i would not be able to enjoy the set after an year or so, coz i would have to move out after i complete my graduation( for job or higher studies).

This changes the viewing equation significantly :

SD viewing : 60-70 %

divx rips/ DVD : 20%

hd : 20 %(depends on whether bollywood or dth goes hd, if yes then this will increase substantially)

the set is going to be used by my parents and all i want to do is provide a no hassles hdtv + htpc/wdtv + HT solution for them, which would require least(no upgradation from their side from now on, as happened with my current sony htib) for at least 10 years.

currently i have :
lg 29" crt which will be moved to my grandfathers room
sony dav dz 120k htib ( has only component video)
tata sky connecion(will get that on 1st april)

i plan to use the htib for some more time, thus collecting the required funds for a new budget HT and htpc(waiting for the hdmi dust to settle, as in my previous post : http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/confused-with-hdmi-132048.html).

so i figured out, that while it was the lcd that would have been best in my case(i wanted to game as well) , a plasma would serve my parents better according to the current DTH scenario.

the plasmas i have shortlisted are, for the 42 inch :
1. panny pv8
2. samsung 410
3. panny pv80

budget is from 40-50k , the lower the better.

Now the comes the part of power consumption. As i see the plasmas do have higher consumption, but i wont be keeping the set at showroom settings, hence not so bright as to draw too much power. Typical usage would be from 4-6 hours a day.

Next the lighting conditions, which i can not gauge as i cant get the set into my home before buying it. So i clicked a couple of pictures of my current setup. As of now the plasma will be replacing the crt, but in the near future there can be a renovation hence enabling wall mounting option as well( will take light conditions into consideration before planning renovation). But now have the set in a corner, and a tube light directly opposite to it. there is door and curtains which are behind, or diagonally adjacent to the set, the curatins are seldom raised, but the door is opened frequently in daytime.

the pics are :
1. of the set w/o flash on
2. of the set with camera flash
3. from the seating position showing the door as well.

there is quite a reflection even in the crt set as seen in the pictures.
Please suggest whether plasma is a viable option here. Keeping After sales service in mind, please suggest an option.

I would like to thank in advance to those who have the patience for reading the post. All panny/samsung plasma owners please do reply as you are the people with first hand knowledge of the sets.

I wont be buying the set for sure, my dad will be.:p

Past the slowdown, he has though lowered his budget from 60k to 50k. And i too, want to make him spend as little as possible. Having said that, i want to get the VFM. The new set is going to be kept at the same spot as the current crt is. But after 1-2 years there may be a renovation and then wall mounting will be possible. But, in that case i would be making sure as to make the viewing room as apt as possoble for the tv, be it plasma or lcd.

Last edited:
I wont be buying the set for sure, my dad will be.:p

Past the slowdown, he has though lowered his budget from 60k to 50k. And i too, want to make him spend as little as possible. Having said that, i want to get the VFM. The new set is going to be kept at the same spot as the current crt is. But after 1-2 years there may be a renovation and then wall mounting will be possible. But, in that case i would be making sure as to make the viewing room as apt as possoble for the tv, be it plasma or lcd.

The position of the tv seems a bit off to me. It should be against the wall if at all possible. Having said this, I will still stick to getting the PV8 as the first choice. It has component in for direct connection to TV from STB.

Go with the PV8, call J.D. Electronics (if available where you stay), should be able to negotiate around 45K. BTW glare is easily solved by putting in some thick curtains (that's what I did) and wall mounting is the best option for LCDs/Plasmas. They take such less space (compared to a CRT) that even putting a wall unit/TV stand etc. seems such a waste of space. Anyway that's my thinking and that's why I've wall mounted all speakers (both for HT and PC), my PV8, etc. Saves a lot of space and keeps the wife happy too with all speakers out of the way.

I think you have u r answers, adding my 2 paise:

1. For SD viewing 60% and DivX. Plasma is the best and PV8/PV80 is the best option today, dont look anywhere.
2. For glare, trust me I had a huge one. First I tired cloth curtain and they didnt solve so I fixed bamboo curtains and they worked like a charm. Also, they look aesthitically appealing.

Go ahead and get urself a PV8/PV80.

Hi NFSFan,

Your approach towards VFM is really appreciable, especially during the present tight moneytary situation.

I am also thinking to purchase a 42" plasma for my bedroom and it will be definitely wall mounted. I have a 26" Samsung LCD (purchased about 3 years ago) wall mounted in our drawing room of our flat at Noida. LCD is better where there is more sunlight (as in my drawing room) but Plasma is better in not so bright room and eye soothing for long viewing hours. Panny PV8 is a well acclaimed Plasma very good for SD viewing.

I have surveyed last Sunday in Sector 18 market at Noida. I found 'Top Gizmo' (at Sector 18 Noida 1st floor) is offering best price for Panny PV8 (Rs. 43000 after bargaining). If you are interested you can PM me to get the contact details.

Off course, you may get similar or better price at Delhi. In that case you pleae let me know about your deal.

Cheers

i have the samsung 410, it's a great TV, my only complaint is that it does suffer from temporary image retention from time to time (no this is not burn-in). the images are super-sharp and colour reproduction is outstanding, the panasonic has better blacks though. do look at the TVs and compare them yourself before buying them.

samsung = slightly processed image, colors overly bright
Lg61 = image noise overall, picture clarity, colours
panny pv8/80 = great image characteristics, colours are mostly true and great with nromal sd content like Tatasky. Most importantly great with HD content too though its 720p only.

Now take a look yourself at all the models in a showroom with tata sky (DTH service first before moving on to HD content).

You will notice the Lg61 stealing the show with its bright colours but eventually after some moments of viewing you will realize that the range of colour reproduction for the panny is smore and colours are natural. And you should purchase one set that is natural - sony earlier TVs were configured for deeper reds and with sony doctored content playing nothing beat the sony in the showroom - problems started when you bought it back and played normal SD content back at home.

For your usase the panny pv8 is fine.......should be around 45k but i noticed in Pune the PV8 had suddenyl gone out of stock - Vijay Sales had managed to sell its entire quota and next shipments were awaited. Because of this they were contemplating of raising prices for this best sellar.

And pv80 has a sd card slot for pics, extra HDMI slot in the front and a electronic swivel stand = for 5k extra IMHO not worth it,

Hi NFSFan,

Your approach towards VFM is really appreciable, especially during the present tight moneytary situation.

I am also thinking to purchase a 42" plasma for my bedroom and it will be definitely wall mounted. I have a 26" Samsung LCD (purchased about 3 years ago) wall mounted in our drawing room of our flat at Noida. LCD is better where there is more sunlight (as in my drawing room) but Plasma is better in not so bright room and eye soothing for long viewing hours. Panny PV8 is a well acclaimed Plasma very good for SD viewing.

I have surveyed last Sunday in Sector 18 market at Noida. I found 'Top Gizmo' (at Sector 18 Noida 1st floor) is offering best price for Panny PV8 (Rs. 43000 after bargaining). If you are interested you can PM me to get the contact details.

Off course, you may get similar or better price at Delhi. In that case you pleae let me know about your deal.

Cheers

Thanx.. thats the first apprciaition i've got! Even my dad says that my decisions are not final( i stopped him from buying a plasma two months ago, coz i thought lcd was a better option and suggested him to wait till june :))

just went to my nearby Panasonic brand shop. he quoted 43k to me directly, but wasn't willing to come down any further. That said, i will surely try to get at least a hdmi cable from him if i am going to buy the pv8, which now looks certain from my side. Will consult with my father this evening regarding the finances and will finalize then.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back