Buying LCD/LED TV and BDP from US

anoopdotk

Hi guys, I am a novice and not at all a pro. Currently I own a Pioneer VSX 416 receiver and Jamo 406 Five Speaker set. I would like to add a 32" LCD/LED TV, a SW and a Blu Ray player to this setup.

I am in US now for a short term visit...
Will it be a good idea to buy any of these in US?

For Blu Ray I got the below link for Oppo:
Oppo BDP-80 Region Free Blu-ray Player BDP80

What is your opinion on this?

And how about buying TV and Sub here...any suggestions, links, shops? If buing TV I prefer Sony or Samsung.

Also would like to know, if I am buying any of these, how about carrying to India. Checkin or Cabin or ...?

I would share my views on whether to Bring LCD/LED tv from US or not.

Advantage-

1.) Cheap price

Disadvantage-

1.) Warranty- The company may or may not offer intl warranty.

2.) Chances of Damage- TV off course cant be checked in and would have to be sent with the luggage. Though you can mark the item as FRAGILE so that the staff handles it with the care but IMO you will always be a bit worried if its fine till you check it at your home!

3.) Customs- Indian customs allows 25,000/- Rs. worth good duty free. Now the tv is expensive than that and cant be hidden in Suitcase like some other stuff so you will have to pay 33% duty on the amount exceeding 25,000 Rs. For ex- If the TV is 40,000 rs then you have to pay 33% of 15,000 (40k-25k). So add 5k's more to your cost. And the item cannot be shared by 2 persons. Like a family of 2 doesn't make the duty free limit 50k. It is still 25k per individual.

Bringing TV from abroad can be beneficial in following case-

When I got LCD TV from Malaysia the custom officers didnt check the bill to know the amount. They had a list with themselves according to which a 32" LCD TV was valued at 32,000 rs. No matter which model which brand!

So I am assuming its the same even now. They will have 1 universal price for a 32" LCD TV.

In that case if you are buying the basic LCD model the price would be almost same to the one you can get in India after the custom duty. But if you go for a hi end model or an LED TV there are chances that the price would be quite significant even after the custom duty paid than the Indian prices. You would save on the custom duties if you go for a high end model!

Thank you Goyal
Then I think I will skip The TV..
How abt the SW and the Blu Ray I had posted earlier....

How is the price and other things? Shall I buy? (Open to everyone, not only Goyal)

Anoop,

Instead of Buying in USA, buy in Singapore (your company should book ticket to india via singapore). :)

Make sure Bluray player bought in USA is capable of playing Bluray discs made in India.

Blu Ray I had posted earlier....

How is the price and other things? Shall I buy?

Regd. the BDP, the Oppo BDP 80 is a pretty good VFM player and the price for a modded player is very attractive at just $50 for the mod kit and modification. Go for it. Although, with the BDP and SW you might attract attention of customs.

Thank you guys....

I bought the Jamo Sub 250 (I got for $99) and Oppo BDP 80 Region Free($349).
Now waiting for the Transformer, have ordered one 750W step up/down here only from buy.com.

I will be back in India by Sep 2nd. Will share the experiences soon.

LCD TV - I will buy later in India only :licklips:

Thanks a lot again.

Thank you guys....

I bought the Jamo Sub 250 (I got for $99) and Oppo BDP 80 Region Free($349).
Now waiting for the Transformer, have ordered one 750W step up/down here only from buy.com.

I will be back in India by Sep 2nd. Will share the experiences soon.

LCD TV - I will buy later in India only :licklips:

Thanks a lot again.

Congrats.... See if you can buy the TV in airport when you land here.. ...

" You will be a walking hometheater in airport" :p

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back