Buying Sony products from Flipkart

thatguy

I am in the market for a new laptop and was thinking of buying Sony VIAO from Flipkart.

The Sony website claims that they will only offer warranty if the product has been bought from an authorized retailer. I tried searching through the list of authorized retailers on Sony website and could not find Flipkart. When I wrote to both Sony and Flipkart, I got the following responses:

Response from Flipkart:

Dear XXXXX,

Greetings from Flipkart!

Thank you for writing in. With regard to your query regarding the warranty, we would like to inform you that the invoice sent along with the consignment serves as the warranty for the item.

Should you face any problem while claiming the warranty using the invoice, please get back to us and we will assist you in the best possible way in this regard.

We would like to guarantee you that our invoice will be honoured by Sony.

Response from Sony:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Greetings from Sony India Customer Care!
As per your e-mail, we would like to inform you that Sony India is not into online selling and sells its products through authorized dealers.

Note: Sony India provides service support for products if customer has invoice bill of Sony Authorized dealer or Sony India warranty card.

I am confused and would appreciate any help. Especially from people who have some experience claiming warranty from Sony.

Cheers.

I had the same query before buying my XBA-1 and XBA-3 IEMs. What Sony said was that if I buy from authorized dealers, all I would need is the invoice for claiming warranty. But, if I bought from any others online, they would need both the invoice AND a Sony warranty card properly sealed and filled. Official warranty cards have a default date of expiry i.e., my used Sony E353 player had a warranty valid till Feb 2012 in case no invoice was available OR one year from the date of invoice. So, from Flipkart, you'd need both invoice and a Sony warranty card in order to claim warranty - that is how I understood it.

I ended up buying from an authorized dealer since the amount I'd have saved was a just a couple of hundred.

Thanks Ethen.

I am curious about another thing. When I bought a Sony radio from one of the showrooms in Bangalore, the salesman opened the box and stamped some piece of paper before handing the package to me. I was wondering how that part work in case of Flipkart.

That is not necessary as far as i know. Sony guys who installed my bravia tv told that it was not required.

I bought it from an authorized dealer. Had to change the panel due to some horizontal lines. Only the warranty card and bill was required in that case too.

Thanks guys. Sony world gave me a offer that was better than Flipkart's (without any haggling). So matter settled :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back