Buying the Amp from USA? Is there any difference in wattage power in India?

edjamesx

Buying the CAR Amp from USA? Is there any difference in wattage power in India?

I am planning to buy car AMP and component speakers from USA to use it India. I can find best deals on ebay/amazon for these.

For car AMPLIFIER will there be any wattage difference in INDIA. Will I be able to power the AMP without using any converter or step down transformer or something ?. ( I guess as this is DC current there wont be difference )

I want to buy 4 channels AMP .. I found BOSS/ KICKER / SSL brands cheaper. Are these good amps.

What is the mininmum RMS power required for driving component speakers?.

Using 4 channel AMP will i be able to connect 4 stereo speakers and add a woofer later if i need?

Last edited:
There is no wattage difference at all, I have a car DVD and AMP both from the US and they work great.
of the mentioned only kicker is good, try JBL or rockford fosgate.
speakers and amps will be mostly 4 ohms but some may also be 2 ohms, get the amp with the same ohms rating as speakers.

No, there is no difference in power specs -- you can hook up a power cable from the battery directly (um, with a fuse in between) to an amp bought from the USA.

As mentioned, no converter or step-down transformer will be needed.

I'd keep away from BOSS amps. Kicker is a good enough brand. I haven't heard of a car audio brand called SSL, but that's just me :)

There are a whole lot of other good brands out there. A lot more than what ebay sellers carry. Woofersetc.com the online car audio super store, the largest selection at the lowest prices! is a good website to shop for car-audio in. I personally have not shopped on woofersetc.com, but I do know of people who bought stuff at woofersetc.com and had the stuff shipped to relatives/friends in the US, who bought the stuff along to India when they came back.

The RMS power really depends on the speakers you want to power. That said, with most components you couldn't go wrong with 75RMS per channel from a good brand (or an amp with CEA rated power), with the right gauge of power cable (like 4AWG for a 75w RMS per ch Alpine PDX, for instance). For comps in the 6K range, even 45w per channel might do (though more powerful amps will definitely make the speakers sound better, upto a point).

Yes, with nearly all 4-channel amps, you can connect two speakers and a subwoofer. I say "nearly all", as there might be some amps which don't have bridgeable channels.

You will not be able to drive 4 speakers and a subwoofer with good (or even satisfactory) results (IMHO). I have seen such "jugaad" setups and I have never seen one that sounded good.

On a side note, while buying from abroad, please compare prices in India and consider two things: (a) Warranty and (b) The savings you generally make in install costs by buying and installing the same amp from a shop in India -- In such cases you usually save on install costs. For higher-end amps, there is usually a good advantage in buying from abroad. But for entry-level amps (amps that usually sell here for 6K to 15K or so) you're usually better off buying in India.

Happy Hunting :)

Last edited:
Why not get the HU also from there ?

Eclipse and Alpine are available for very good prices there .. Check them too...

Hey,

Can you suggest a few websites, were i can do a comparison of head units alongside with features and their pricing.

anything apart from Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras and Woofersetc.com the online car audio super store, the largest selection at the lowest prices!

Hi venkat, The above sites do the job well.

May be you can try these also
Car Audio at CarAudio.com
OnlineCarStereo: Wholesale Car Audio Stereo video Deals At Bargain Prices
and Amazon/Ebay for best deals.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back