Buying Western Classical Music

Buying brand new CD's from Amazon U.K. has become an expensive proposition for reasons which I have listed earlier. But there are plenty of 'used, very good' CD's available from sellers like Zoverstocks, who trade through Amazon. I have bought a few used cps from them for prices ranging from 1-3 pounds, and I am completely satisfied with their service. Amazon U.K. is currently charging over 3 pounds per CD for shipping to India, so the shipping costs is more than the actual cost of the used CD!

Amazon.co.uk At a Glance: zoverstocks

Clicking on the used link leads to a new link where sellers like Zoverstocks and Dodax are frequently listed at the top, as they are offering the best rates.

Mozart - Violin Concertos Nos 1-3: Amazon.co.uk: Music

@ajay: I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time now - who are the contemporary classical music composers? Contemporary as in alive right now and writing music that is being recorded and performed. TIA.

joshua

The aura of the classical composers is so strong that most listeners of western classical music would not be aware of many contemporary composers. Last year I consciously and deliberately said goodbye to many CD's of 18th and 19th century music, because I wanted to concentrate on 20th century composers like - Gustav Mahler, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok, Claude Debussy, Jean Sibelius, Arnold Schoenberg, Anton Webern, Alban Berg, Olivier Messiaen, Sergei Rachmaninov, Dmitri Shostakovich, Aram Khachaturian, Maurice Ravel, Zoltan Kodaly, Edgar Varese, Carl Neilsen, Erik Satie, Bohuslav Martinu, Paul Hindemith, Carl Orff, Aaron Copland, Eliot Carter, Luciano Berio, Gyorgy Ligetti, Darius Milhaud, and many more whom I can't immediately recollect! Life is short. There is only an X amount of music we can hear in a lifetime. Personally I believe in burning my bridges and moving on. I have very few permanent favorites. But plenty of temporary ones!

Coming to your question about contemporary composers who are currently alive, I am aware of the following contemporary composers but (except for Boulez) I have never heard their music:

Pierre Boulez
Tristan Murail
Hans Werner Henze
Wolfgang Rihm
Sofia Gubaidulina
Per Norgard
John Corigliano

So that's a lot of music to discover and listen to! I believe that at some point of time one has to completely ditch mainstream music, cinema and books in order to discover the far greater joy and beauty of the classical art forms.

joshua

The aura of the classical composers is so strong that most listeners of western classical music would not be aware of many contemporary composers.

Actually this is a bad thing as the art form is not growing, but mostly recycling what has been accumulated over the last centuries.

20th century composers like - Gustav Mahler, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok, Claude Debussy, Jean Sibelius, Arnold Schoenberg, Anton Webern, Alban Berg, Olivier Messiaen, Sergei Rachmaninov, Dmitri Shostakovich, Aram Khachaturian, Maurice Ravel, Zoltan Kodaly, Edgar Varese, Carl Neilsen, Erik Satie, Bohuslav Martinu, Paul Hindemith, Carl Orff, Aaron Copland, Eliot Carter, Luciano Berio, Gyorgy Ligetti, Darius Milhaud, and many more whom I can't immediately recollect!

Completely new names for me: Anton Webern, Alban Berg, , Edgar Varese, Carl Neilsen, Erik Satie, Bohuslav Martinu, Paul Hindemith, Eliot Carter, Luciano Berio, Gyorgy Ligetti, Darius Milhaud

There is only an X amount of music we can hear in a lifetime. Personally I believe in burning my bridges and moving on. I have very few permanent favorites. But plenty of temporary ones!

Nicely put. There is too much good music out there. Good books too.

Coming to your question about contemporary composers who are currently alive, I am aware of the following contemporary composers but (except for Boulez) I have never heard their music:

Pierre Boulez
Tristan Murail
Hans Werner Henze
Wolfgang Rihm
Sofia Gubaidulina
Per Norgard
John Corigliano

All unknown names again. No wonder they fly below the radar of the common listener.

I believe that at some point of time one has to completely ditch mainstream music, cinema and books in order to discover the far greater joy and beauty of the classical art forms.

That's a tough call!

Weekend listening from RNW (Radio Netherlands):

music | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

I've been listening to "Mahler's mysterious Seventh". The program offers a few nibbles at Anton Webern's enchanting music before Gustav Mahler's symphony begins. My favorite composer (Mahler), favorite conductor (Pierre Boulez) and favorite orchestra (Royal Concertgebouw, Amsterdam). A perfect accompaniment to my Saturday morning breakfast of grilled cheese, corn, capsicum sandwich and sugarless, milkless, filter coffee (lavazza, arabica) sweetened with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream :)

Joshua

BEST SOUNDING RECORDINGS

The AS list which you sent me, seems to be targeted at audiophiles wanting to buy vinyl/digital recordings at a premium price, because of their (presumably) better sound quality. Like all lists, this one too has some universally acclaimed recordings and others which are highly personal or obscure recommendations. For many years I was buying classical recordings with the single minded purpose of collecting all the major works by well known composers. This method no longer works for me. Because, even though western classical music is based on fixed notations, conductors and musicians do take some liberty with how they interpret the music. Some composers like Mahler (who was a great conductor before he became a great composer) have left fairly detailed instructions about how their work should be performed. Even then a Mahler symphony conducted by Bernstein sounds quite different from the same symphony conducted by Boulez. Therefore it is essential to read reviews and listen to various recordings on internet radio/you tube, in order to discover which recordings are worth acquiring. The same composition acquires varying colors and hues in the hands of different conductors and musicians. Some of these colors and hues would probably be incomprehensible to the original composers :)

My method for buying classical music is as follows:

First: choose the conductor/musicians conducting/performing the work
Second: check if the orchestra they are performing with is a good one.
Third: check which works of a composer are on the recording
Fourth: check the label and the price

Audio quality only comes into the picture after all the above selections have been made. The best music is obviously owned by labels like - DG, EMI, Decca, Philips, Sony, BIS, Harmonia Mundi, Telarc, Chandos etc. I have never bought an audiophile recording from a niche label, because (in most cases) the musicians are advanced/enthusiastic/lowly paid amateurs, rather than top notch pros. Niche labels rely on small volumes and huge mark ups. Some funds may be going into improving the sound quality. But generally the musicians are unknown, or relatively lesser known artistes who would be charging considerably less than established artistes. If niche audiophile labels ever release 'sonically superior' recordings of David Oistrakh, Vladimir Horowitz, Emil Gilels, Martha Argerich, Mstislav Rostropovich, Pierre Boulez, Carlos Kleiber, Royal Concertgebouw, Berliner Philharmoniker, Weiner Philharmoniker etc, then I would consider paying a minor premium for audiophile sound quality.

Last edited:
I did know the records he referred to are on vinyl, but I still sent you the link because I find his views fascinating, if contrarian. In some circles he's hallowed. In certain others, he's considered a certifiable P. Rick. But I must say I've learned a lot about what is good gear from his blog. And for that he wears a halo in my books.

Hi Ajay,

First, thanks to a wonderful compilation. I have listened to very few western classical music and generally the more prefer the more popular western classical music than the more elaborate, but then I am a noob.

Amongst the ones recommended I liked the Back Branderburg concertos a lot, so am planning to buy the SACD version of it. Can you recommend which one of these is the one to buy?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg...denburg+concertos+sacd&ie=UTF8&qid=1345285251

sud 98

Sorry for the delayed reply. I didn't see your post earlier.

Johann Sebastian Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are a set of 6 concertos which fit on 2 CD's. I would advise you to buy the Trevor Pinnock/English Concert 3CD set. It has the complete concertos + 4 suites :

Bach: Brandenburg Concertos; Orchestral Suites: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Since its release in the early 80's on vinyl (and later on CD) this recording has probably been the most popular and critically acclaimed version of the Brandenburg Concertos. Unfortunately it is not available on SACD. Some more options with a lower price tag:

Brandenburg Concertos, Violin Concertos (Bath Festival Orchestra, Menuhin): Amazon.co.uk: Music

Bach: Brandenburg Concertos: Amazon.co.uk: Music

The most acclaimed SACD version is probably the one by Masaaki Suzuki and The Bach Collegium of Japan. It was released by BIS (known for their superb recording quality) in 2009. I bought this 3 SACD box set for roughly 20 pounds a few months ago. It is now costing 49 pounds on Amazon. Amazing! Sound quality is excellent. Personally I am not completely happy with the quality of the music. I would not mind exchanging it for the Pinnock/English Concert set!

Brandenburg Concertos & Orchestra Suites: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Hi,

Can anyone suggest good saxophone and jazz-saxophone artists and albums?

Charlie Parker
John Coltrane
Lester Young
Sonny Rollins
Ornette Coleman
Coleman Hawkins
Cannonbal Adderley
Dexter Gordon
Wayne Shorter
Stan Getz
Ben Webster
Stanley Turrentine
Grover Washington Jr.

For anybody desiring to begin listening to sax music, the greatest hits compilations of Stanley Turrentine, Ben Webster and Grover Washington Jr. would be a good place to begin.

saikat

"I have become a huge fan of the violin. Hearing Mendelssohn's concerto by Kyung Wha Chung kind of sealed the deal. "

Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy was a hugely talented German composer from the early 19th century. If you like his violin concerto then you should also listen to his Italian symphony and Hebrides overture. And you should definitely listen to David Oistrakh or Jascha Heifetz playing the E minor concerto. I used to think that only ladies swooned with ecstasy after reading Walter Scott in the 19th century or Mills & Boon in the 20th century. But Oistrakh can make anybody swoon with his divine touch :)

Oistrakh plays Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E minor [Part 1/4] - YouTube

Mendelssohn : Violin Concerto E Minor, Op. 64 / Heifetz - YouTube

There are hundreds of musicians, orchestras and conductors who have made recordings of major classical works. It is only by listening to multiple recordings of the same work that we can finally decide which ones we really like. For many years buying classical music for me meant accumulating all the popular works with little or no regard to the artistes involved in making the recording. My knowledge of classical music was primarily based on the records, tapes and cd's which I found in music shops. A lit bit of knowledge was picked up from reading books and magazines. But my really education happened through the internet. I have learnt more about classical music in the last few years than I did in the preceding two decades. I have discovered the phenomenal music of twentieth century composers like Mahler, Stravinsky, Bartok, Debussy, Shostakovich, Schoenberg, Messiaen and Webern. I have discovered conductors like Pierre Boulez, Wilhelm Furtwangler, Carlos Kleiber, Bernard Haitink and Otto Klemperer and artistes like David Oistrakh, Jascha Heifetz, Emil Gilels, Sviatoslav Richter, Martha Argerich, Friedrich Gulda and Mstislav Rostropovich. There is a lot of great music available on You Tube. When I want to learn more about a composer, conductor, orchestra or musician that I simply google for information and watch their videos on You Tube. Online vendors like Amazon provide very little information about the music they are selling but some of the reviewers posting on their website are very well informed.

Being well informed is essential for choosing the right recordings. For avoiding duplication and duds one needs to learn more about the different recordings available in the market. I usually begin my search on Amazon by checking out availability, pricing and reviews. I collect additional information from other websites. I listen to the recording if it is available on You Tube. I would not recommend a whimsical, uniformed purchase from a music shop or online store. I would not recommend buying audiophile recordings from niche labels. Most of them feature unknown artistes. Some of these artistes may be good but the emphasis is primarily on the sound and not on the music. One needs to develop a methodology for building a good collection of music. The methodology can be based on the major periods - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Nationalistic and Modern. Or the focus could be on building a collection of chamber, orchestral and vocal music. Or it could be based on collecting recordings of a particular orchestra, conductor or an instrument like the violin, piano, cello, flute, clarinet etc. Ideally it should be based on finding the best musicians, orchestras, conductors and recording labels. Finding the best musicians and conductors is obviously a subjective experience. We can and should read reviews and comments. But ultimately we will have to depend on our ears to identify the good, bad and ugly recordings.

Last edited:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest good saxophone and jazz-saxophone artists and albums?

If you want to be a bit adventurous:

Anthony Braxton (the minimalist and sparsely recorded Saxophone Improvisations is a good place to begin)
Albert Ayler (Spiritual Unity)
Ornette Coleman (The Shape of Jazz to Come)
Evan Parker (The Snake Decides- this one with the circular breathing thing can make for quite strange listening).....

Music transcends time and space. Its roots may be buried in a particular land but its branches stretch out across the earth. Music does not belong to a particular country. It belongs to any one who has the ears to listen to it. There is no such thing as 'our' music and 'their' music. I do not consider the music of Mozart or Mahler to be 'imported' music or 'elitist' music. It is simply the best music I have ever heard.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart--Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - YouTube

Music transcends time and space. Its roots may be buried in a particular land but its branches stretch out across the earth. Music does not belong to a particular country. It belongs to any one who has the ears to listen to it. There is no such thing as 'our' music and 'their' music. I do not consider the music of Mozart or Mahler to be 'imported' music or 'elitist' music. It is simply the best music I have ever heard.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart--Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - YouTube

I feel so very strongly the same about Bach. His music does not belong to a country or religion. Some music just transcends most everything......

I feel so very strongly the same about Bach. His music does not belong to a country or religion. Some music just transcends most everything......

Johann Sebastian Bach's music doesn't belong to mere human beings. It belongs to the gods. We are infringing their divine copyright every time we play the Brandenburg concertos or the Toccata and Fugue in D minor :)

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/einstein/stuff/einstein&music.pdf

Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organ - YouTube

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back